• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980Ti Upgrade?

Associate
Hey,

I’m in the process of pulling together a new Ryzen 3000 build, most of my previous system is around the 8-10 y/o mark so can’t be brought forward into the new build aside from the GPU which I bought a couple of years back (GTX 980Ti). I guess my question is do I hold onto the GTX 980Ti and spend the money saved on the rest of the new build or do I replace the GPU for something newer and more up-to-date?

I currently game on a single 34” 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitor and have no intention of going back to a multiple monitor setup or changing to 4K/8K.

Associate
Yeah I went from a 980ti to the Asus 2070S (I sat refreshing the page at 2pm so I'm hoping I'm one of the first batch)

I would've went X5700XT instantly if they had partner boards available without having to wait a month or two. I expect a lot of people would've been in the same boat and made the same decision too, weird decision by AMD imo.

Associate
I would hold onto the 980Ti for another year.

The issue you and others have to juggle is Nvidia dominating the options above what is effectively '1080Ti like performance'. All the 2070S really offers to 980Ti owners is a 50% boost for £500 that you could have had 2yrs ago for £150 more because the 980Ti overclocks like a champ. If you want more performance it starts to get real expensive very quickly. The up shot imho is you need to wait another year for:

1. Either Nvidia to pony up the performance to better justify the high costs i.e. the 7nm Ampere 3000 series
2. AMD to influence the market costs with Navi 20, possibly offering a tolerable price/perf ratio GPU

I can see why people with GPUs below the 980Ti are eying up the 2070S I think unless you have a compelling need to upgrade such as a GPU failure or some game that isn't running as you would like you're better off skipping the entire 2000 series because it doesn't offer up enough over the 1000 series which itself wasn't that great above the overclocked 980Ti.

Soldato
People with a 980ti (like myself) just need to accept if they want better performance right now they will have to pay for it, as I’ve already said in another thread there’s little point basing decisions on historical purchases of what you could have had for £x amount

Everybody could wait another year but nobody knows if the next gen will offer much more than the current tech or if the price gap will increase even more, also if you keep waiting for the next best thing you’ll never get anywhere , at some point you just need to dive in a buy

Associate
So my advice is to dive in and buy when there are good options to choose from offering approximately double the performance of the card you're replacing.

If that used to be every 2yrs but now is 4yrs+ then you wait 4yrs+ or pony up because apparently that is what the market will tolerate. I don't advise people pay full price for incremental performance boosts and heavily marketed unproven features. Historical product data is valuable if you want to spot being asked to pay good money for old rope.

Soldato
I've pretty much timed my last few gpu upgrades alongside new iterations of DirectX. I typically wait until there is a new DirectX and then buy the top of the range graphics card at the time, so the last time this was the 980Ti. This usually means I end up skipping at least one entire generation, like before the 980ti I had a gtx680. This time I get the feeling this probably not going to work this time as I don't see any talk of DirectX13 any time soon, and in any case, the top of the range these days are just stupid prices. So I can see myself falling back into my old routine of just upgrading when it "feels" right, and sticking to a £500-600 max. If this means getting a RXT2070S now and then skipping the 3000 generation, then that doesn't sound too bad a deal to me.

Associate
I am considering upgrading my MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming G to one of the new RTX 2070 Supers. I have a rig with an i7-4790k processor and 16GB of RAM. I have it plugged into a 4K TV so would like to game closer to that native resolution. I'm more of a 'pretty picture' than 60fps gamer so can easily tolerate 30fps. The 980Ti is still 'okay' but I feel like change and like trying some Ray Tracing. Am I likely to see much improvement or do I hold off another year and just turn some settings down?

Associate
Finally upgraded from my 980ti to a Radeon VII when it launched. Noticeable boost in performance although was quite an outlay. Some far better value cards out now though, my timing may have been a bit off. :D

My MSI 980ti Gamer 6G card has lasted me a good few years though, and was still pretty capable even on my 3440x1400 monitor.

Associate
I would hold onto the 980Ti for another year.

If it wasnt for the fact my 980Ti is crapping out on me, I would have kept it for another year easily. I play 3440x1440 and only now encountering games I've had to seriously begin to drop out of "Ultra/High" level settings.

That being said, Ive pre-ordered a 2070S. Wish I could hold out till next gen as I am sure we'll get to the point that Ray Tracing will be a day-day usable feature by then, but I really do need a solution now.

Associate
I've got a similar dilemma, I'm currently running a pair of MSI 980ti 6Gs in SLI and seriously disappointed by the lack of support on the latest games, I don't know whether to get a 2070/2080 Super and wait to see if anything changes with NVLink support or just bite the big fat donkey d**k of a bullet and get a 2080ti that'll monster everything and I need not worry about it.

Soldato
Hey,

I’m in the process of pulling together a new Ryzen 3000 build, most of my previous system is around the 8-10 y/o mark so can’t be brought forward into the new build aside from the GPU which I bought a couple of years back (GTX 980Ti). I guess my question is do I hold onto the GTX 980Ti and spend the money saved on the rest of the new build or do I replace the GPU for something newer and more up-to-date?

I currently game on a single 34” 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitor and have no intention of going back to a multiple monitor setup or changing to 4K/8K.

It all depends if your monitor has Gsync. Does it?

Soldato
Tbf my OCD GTX 1080 does well at 3440*1440 but I'd take my power.

Minimum consideration for going forward would be GTX 1080Ti equivalent power or if wanting to also run ray tracing more power than that.

Assuming you play at high details and can tell when you're under 60fps without a counter in the corner of the screen.

Bare in mind gsync is not get out of jail free key , low FPS is low FPS synced or not

Associate
You’re pretty much in the same scenario as I am.... 34” 144hz UWD with 980 class gpu. Obviously my 980gtx is really struggling but the 2080ti to me doesn’t bring enough performance to the resolution to warrant the massive price (imo). So my plan is basically to pick up a 3rd party 5700XT (first Radeon since the 800XT days...) for the short term and then upgrade to the top line Ampere/7nm part when it’s released PROVIDED it is at LEAST 30% faster than a 2080Ti.

Soldato
It's worth the upgrade on an X34 34" monitor as I did that from a 980 Ti to 1080 Ti but I wouldn't go beyond that level currently due to the extra cost.

I can wait now for the next big step up or maybe ray traced features that don't seriously impact the fps.

Back
Top Bottom