• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Soldato
I recently heard AMD does theres at turbo boost not base clock like Intel. People better informed than I should be able to confirm or deny that is the case.

If that's the case, why is the 3900x well above it's 105w declaration by AMD

dk3frenr.rez.png

Soldato
I have no idea but somebody more versed in these things might be able to explain that chart and what it represents than I. Though looking at 8700K and 9900K they have a lower TDP at 95W but use more power. Quite a bit more in the case of the 9900K.

Soldato
I have no idea but somebody more versed in these things might be able to explain that chart and what it represents than I. Though looking at 8700K and 9900K they have a lower TDP at 95W but use more power. Quite a bit more in the case of the 9900K.

There is nothing to explain. That is stock power consumption.

TDP is just an arbitrary envelope you can decide to stick to if you want as an OEM builder, which is irrelevant to anyone making their own system.

Soldato
People get way too worked up about AMD, guys you don’t need to ram it down our throats any more... They have caught up, regardless of which CPU is the marginal 5% best for which task the result already is a win with price reductions and the hope of better products in the future.

Chill out and enjoy it.

This above^ is the most sensible thing said in this whole thread.

Soldato
I really think intel are missing a few plus, so let me correct it.

14nm +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sorry had to be done, but competition is good for us consumers. :D

Soldato
I recently heard AMD does theres at turbo boost not base clock like Intel. People better informed than I should be able to confirm or deny that is the case.

dk3frenr.rez.png

TDP is whatever measure the manufacturer wants it to be and is not maximum power consumption

For AMD box TDP refers to the performance of their stock cooler on that cpu. If you change how well the cpu is being cooled the TDP value changes.

And for Intel box TDP is the power consumption of the CPU at base clocks.

What if you want to know maximum possible power consumption and not these incomparable TDP values?

AMD:

• Package Power Tracking (PPT): The power threshold that is allowed to be delivered to the socket.
    • This is 88W for 65W TDP processors, and 142W for 105W TDP processors.
  • Thermal Design Current (TDC): The maximum amount of current delivered by the motherboard’s voltage regulators when under thermally constrained scenarios (high temperatures)
    • This is 60A for 65W TDP processors, and 95A for 105W TDP processors.
  • Electrical Design Current (EDC): This is the maximum amount of current at any instantaneous short period of time that can be delivered by the motherboard’s voltage regulators.
    • This is 90A for 65W TDP processors, and 140A for 105W TDP processors.

So AMDs 105W TDP 3900X has a maximum power consumption of 142W among other limitations. If all else is fine it will go to that limit and sustain it permanently. The chart shows it hitting 142W exactly.

Intel does it differently.

It has the power consumption at base clocks (which is their box TDP) and then a boost power limit and then there's a time limit for how long it should run the boost.

The longer you allow the boost power limit the higher the power consumption. Except this is widely adjusted by motherboard manufacturers for more apparent performance on their boards. Depending on what the motherboard maker decided, the Intel CPU could have the boost power limit enabled 100% of the time as default settings. Looks good in reviews you know.

There is no solid power consumption number for Intel while the motherboard manufacturers enable different power usage for the chips but you can see in this case the 95W TDP 9900K consumes 168W by default. Another motherboards settings may make that higher or lower (with associated changes in performance).

Bottom line is TDP is a worthless number and measured power consumption should be the value compared. Doesn't mean the cpu makers are lying but they are being deceptive by putting such empty numbers in the marketing.

So with Anandtechs numbers, at stock the 3900X is a 142W CPU and the 9900K is a 168W CPU. For someone building a computer and checking their power budget these are the actually useful numbers.

Links:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544/why-intel-processors-draw-more-power-than-expected-tdp-turbo
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/19

Soldato
OP
Intel "Comet Lake" Not Before 2020, "Ice Lake-S" Not Before Q3-2020, Roadmap Suggests

Next day techpowerup got another leak but it was quite different from before.

VS0qdvr.jpg

yLyZaJG.jpg

r0F75jh.jpg

Back in May it been thought LGA 1200 is for server CPUs after 400 series chipset driver leaked so now look like Comet Lake consumer CPUs will use socket LGA1200, not LGA1159.

Associate
Guaranteed that intel will want a new socket, chipset and board for there next processors as .... well your not being ripped off enough already with just the CPU.
This time they will have to have a chiller on hand with every purchase, and def the top dog as i dont see 10 cores being anything other than nasty to cool.

Soldato
TDP is whatever measure the manufacturer wants it to be and is not maximum power consumption....[snip]...
So with Anandtechs numbers, at stock the 3900X is a 142W CPU and the 9900K is a 168W CPU. For someone building a computer and checking their power budget these are the actually useful numbers.

Links:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544/why-intel-processors-draw-more-power-than-expected-tdp-turbo
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/19
Thank you so much for coming along and dispelling any ignorance on the matter. ;)

Back
Top Bottom