Favourite UK Camping Spots

Soldato
Good Morning OCUK :)

This last weekend a few friends and I went to Wales and climbed Snowdon, and we camped up in the National Park. It was our first taste of actual camping really - I've been to Festivals and camped, but never really camped in the wild, and we all really enjoyed it.

Since then I've been looking to do more touring of the UK and would like to hear if anyone has any favourite UK Camping Spots to check out?

For Snowdon, we literally found a bit of land off the side of the road, walked in a bit and started pitching up :p

I've been looking at maybe doing the Lake District, which looks beautiful! Preferably, we're not looking to tent up at a campsite next to everyone, we want somewhere where you can't find civilization for a little bit :p

Any ideas?

Marky

Caporegime
Lake District is fantastic. last year it was mid twenties up there and fantastic. Swimming in the lakes and BBQ's on the shore late into the evening. We got a pitch right on the bank of ullswater. Waterside house campsite was the the place and they have really good facilities although I am sure you can find something close by.

Soldato
OP
We’re in the Lake District in August, hit me up for a beer :)

Nice! We're looking at maybe climbing Scafell Pike in August, so I'll let ya know ;)

Lake District is fantastic. last year it was mid twenties up there and fantastic. Swimming in the lakes and BBQ's on the shore late into the evening. We got a pitch right on the bank of ullswater. Waterside house campsite was the the place and they have really good facilities although I am sure you can find something close by.

Nice :D Great to hear :) What were the camp spots like? Very busy?

As I said, we're preferably looking for a spot away from others :p

Associate
Just FYI you broke the law.

In England and Wales wild camping without the consent of the land owner is illegal.

It is legal in Scotland as long as your well away from Roads and Dwellings.

Soldato
OP
Just FYI you broke the law.

In England and Wales wild camping without the consent of the land owner is illegal.

It is legal in Scotland as long as your well away from Roads and Dwellings.

Yah I imagine we did - We saw other tents at the side of the road, so we just thought **** it, lets just do it :p

Never ran into any trouble fortunately...

Is it Trespassing then? What's the worst that could happen? I will admit I was a bit nervous, because I'm a total pussy :p But my mates successfully pressured me into feeling OK about it :p Their view was that the worst that would happen is we would be moved on.

Come to Scotland then! You can camp pretty much anywhere, no trespass laws. You're not allowed to camp around Loch Lomond but anywhere else is grand. Just leave it as you found it!!!

Yeah I just read about the rules regarding wild camping in Scotland! Sounds sweet! We have the "Three Peaks Challenge" in our head now, so I imagine we will be hiking Ben Nevis at some point :p

if this is going to turn into an OcUK camping/dogging trip is it open to anyone?

The more the merrier :p :D

Soldato
Good Morning OCUK :)

I've been looking at maybe doing the Lake District, which looks beautiful! Preferably, we're not looking to tent up at a campsite next to everyone, we want somewhere where you can't find civilization for a little bit :p

Any ideas?

Marky

Wasdale in October was good last time I went. Only a small hamlet at the end of the valley. But with a pub that does food. Overlooked by the Scafells, Great Gable, Pillar etc. etc. Difficult to travel to but worth it.

Caporegime
Camped at an awesome site in the lakes in March. Think I'll head back in August when I've got a few weeks off.

Done a fair bit of wild camping up in Scotland which I loved. Only issues there were the midges.

Sadly my favourite place to camp is no longer available after too many tossers destroyed it so the landowner shut it off. Was a fantastic spot in a woods in the NE right on the banks of the Tyne. So many great memories from 14 yrs old to 18. Me and 2 of my mates would head there for 3 or 4 days at a time and never see a single other person.

Caporegime
Nice! We're looking at maybe climbing Scafell Pike in August, so I'll let ya know ;)

Nice :D Great to hear :) What were the camp spots like? Very busy?

As I said, we're preferably looking for a spot away from others :p

Not really that busy plus it is camping only. No caravans which is nice. We normally leave booking till the last minute as you can never be sure with British weather.

Soldato
Is it Trespassing then? What's the worst that could happen? I will admit I was a bit nervous, because I'm a total pussy :p But my mates successfully pressured me into feeling OK about it :p Their view was that the worst that would happen is we would be moved on.

Realistically it's tolerated in the National Parks on CRoW land and I've never been asked to move on once anywhere around Snowdonia, the Lakes or the Peak. The worst that would happen is a farmer asking you to move, just don't give them any hassle and pack up.

Soldato
Going to the peaks this weekend :)

For something (slightly) more civilised, we recently found a lovely campsite in Wales near llangrannog, called Ffynnonwen, only 6-7 pitches in 1 field, all seperated by long grass, really chilled and friendly owners, and just a couple of miles from the beach, would definitely recommend it

Soldato
Although the lake district is nice and I live on its doorstep I found the North West Highlands along the coast a lot more peaceful and the views stunning

You can legally wild camp in Scotland too

Arisaig, Applecross , skye, Ullapool, Durness ,basically anywhere up there is nice, or even got a boat to knoydart and enjoy one of the uk's remotest pubs

Soldato
Low Wray in Windermere. National Trust camp site but plenty of space between pitches, no caravans, fires allowed and the lake-side pitches are awesome. Go swimming every morning from your pitch!

Man of Honour
Been a few years but when camping up that way we used to use http://crosshallcaravanparksedberghcumbria.uk/ quite a bit as it is nicely located for access to the Lakes and Yorkshire Dales, etc. dunno what it is like these days but used to be run by a great couple and not too crowded.

Also Eskdale Campsite near Boot was pretty decent IIRC and a little more out the way than some.

If you want somewhere where you really can't find civilization for a bit you'll probably have to go to Scotland.

Soldato
Not really that busy plus it is camping only. No caravans which is nice. We normally leave booking till the last minute as you can never be sure with British weather.

We normally leave booking a pitch to the 5 days prior to the weekend so we have a better idea of what the weather might be. Only problem I tend to find is that with the more popular campsites they get booked up on the weekends weeks in advance, which leaves you with the smaller sites that often have poorer facilities.

Go camping a fair bit. Went to a site at Rhosneigr in Anglesey last weekend. Going to the Peak District this weekend to a site near Buxton.

Back
Top Bottom