Which ~15k Hot Hatch?

Soldato
OP
I've never had my car on a rolling road so technically don't know how much of an increase I have, but would guestimate it to be around the 275bhp point. Superchips claim an additional 45 bhp but I doubt it in all honesty.

As I had the handset I only paid something like £230 for mine so definitely worth it imo, though it naturally exposes weaker points and I've now got a potential boost leak to sort out (had the map on over a year however).

In the dry my car doesn't torque steer too much at all unless you are pushing on through tight corners, however traction is an issue in the wet. It's running ps4's all round at the moment which have been great so far.

Android auto/ carplay is the big shift to sync 3 yes, although the system is generally quicker too. When I had a quick look it seemed like a grand would get you into the newer system - I agree it's not worth spending thousands on but when you're buying a model close to the change over i think it could make the car quite a bit more appealing in terms of resale.

Having said that it can be retrofitted fairly easily, I only have the small screen as I have one of the first cars, albeit I've upgraded mine to sync 1 nav too (unimpressive tbh)

Thanks again. Its a shame that this car has cheap tyres on it as its immaculate otherwise. The pictures in the ad have Eagle F1s in all the pictures but when I went to see it, it had brand new "Events" on each corner. Would probably ditch them or get them to include better tyres in the sale if I bought that one. Sync3 retrofit seems to cost about a grand, which would be better spent on a 17 year car I think, will see if I can find one once mine sells

I mean it's literally a hatchback..

Lol exactly what I was about to say. It's a bit like saying "I dont see that blue car as being blue, I identify it as red". Maybe it's not as much of a hot hatch as the others but that's a bit different.

Erm anyway, has anyone driven a Mercedes A250 "Engineered by AMG" or whatever they're calling it. On paper looks to be Merc's answer to the GTI. The mercedes dealer I looked at a C350 with called and said I might like one they have in stock but dont know much about them and they're more expensive than other cars in the class

https://www.mercedes-benzsouthwest.co.uk/approved-used-cars/a-250-amg/

Soldato
Your explanation makes complete sense though as its always lower back pain
isn't this down to the M sport suspension too, or small sidewalls, so adaptive on the 135i might be the way to go;
... having had back issues, if I change my basic non-M 3series, I plan to avoid plain M.

Soldato
OP
isn't this down to the M sport suspension too, or small sidewalls, so adaptive on the 135i might be the way to go;
... having had back issues, if I change my basic non-M 3series, I plan to avoid plain M.

The 318i "sport" i had the misfortune of driving for a day once had 16" wheels, normal suspension and basic seats, still had to crack out the voltarol when I got home

Soldato
Does seem adaptive on a non-M car would be restrictive

Errr, i'm going to have to beg to differ.
My 2016 340i touring has adaptive dampers, and when i roll the performance control to sport mode i have an option to specify what that does;
Chassis and drivetrain
Chassis only
Drivetrain only

Chassis only seems to give me the stiffer dampers and heavier steering
Drivetrain only (which i use a fair bit as i live in the pothole-ridden Cotswolds) gives me soft suspension and light steering but with the better throttle and gearbox response.

Perhaps this changed at some point? Is your 335d pre-LCI?​
But you can't get heavy steering (chassis), without firm suspension too (chassis also)

I can't cope with the non-sport steering, it's so light and lifeless.

So if you're likely to want sport steering all the time you *have* to have the firm suspension... and vice versa.

The solution is more granularity in the settings as per M1 and M2 on the M cars.

Without that you are stuck with certain things being bound when they may not be to your preference.

Soldato
God but that new style Type-R is an ugly thing. Looks like it's crashed through Halfords window as standard.

I really like it too, it's got presence. The interior isn't up to scratch though for that money, and it'll get roasted by a second hand golf r if they've spent ~2.5K at mountune. I'm not sure if it was a typo on the TG website, but they were claiming 3.7s to 60 with a remap.

Soldato
The other -ve for the new type r is the new focus st. Its 2.3l turbo should be very tunable, and already out torques the civic. I can't imagine it would be hard to get it close to old RS tuning.

Soldato
The interior of the previous generation Focus puts me off. In my eyes it's like a 90s Japanese hifi and I couldn't live with it.

For something more tasteful I reckon:

Golf GTI
BMW 135
Audi S3
Peugeot 308 GTI
SEAT Leon

Associate
Bought a stealth grey focus ST3 facelift on a 65 plate earlier in the year. It has the older sync unit but can't say I really care, it still does what I need it to do and coming from older Jap cars it's an upgrade for me. Overall really like the car, good fun quick enough, comfortable. Got it for just over 15k. In a few years time I'll be selling up for an FK8 civic type r one the price comes down a bit.

Soldato
OP
Nah decade old M3 isnt really what I need in my life right now :)

My shortlist at the moment is

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906299535252

Great car, loved it and think it looks great in silver. Its round the corner from me too. Downside is I'd have to put proper tyres on it and the dealer are trying to pile on a grands worth of warranties

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907049707435

A year newer and approved used, with Sync 3 but nearly 2 grand more. Blue is nice though but not as subtle as the silver one

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907029612346

The spec I'd want (manual performance pack with heated seats) but 2 grand more than the equivalent focus and red paint seems to be swirlmark city

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905258333524

Bit higher mileage but good colour and price is more realistic. No performance pack though

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906048656355

Still unsure on the VRS. Driven the mk3 VRS diesel and liked it. Has everything the golf has (except keyless) for 2 grand less

I still need to find a Golf GTI and Petrol VRS to test drive but on paper they both do what I want. There's a couple of over-budget pre facelift Mk7 GTIs at Exeter VW so might try one of those, no VRSes within easy reach at the moment though. I they can give similar enjoyment to the ST, make as nice a noise etc while having a nicer cabin then they're both strong options.

I do like the GTI and it should be great for resale value, but struggling with the ~£2k on the purchase price, especially when the performance gap can be easily closed with a remap on the VRS

Associate
Well that's what I need to figure out, probably not quite the same but it's a significant enough price difference

Ruled out the M135i because of the seat/comfort issue

I fully understand this, if the seating position isn't for you then it's definitely not the right choice. I had an A4 S-line for 2 painful years that I had to endure and I didn't even want to drive it.

Back
Top Bottom