• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Most people double dipped on the first one for PS3 and then PS4 so I wouldn't bet against people doing it on PS5 for the second - but fair point all the same. If they could guarantee 4k visuals at 60fps for it most people would lap it up.

Shawrey

Oh yeah, sorry, I definitely agree people will double dip eventually. Just not sure if that in itself is a compelling reason to buy the console at launch.

Soldato
The PS5 isn't going to give you 4k60 fps just by virtue of being more powerful hardware.

It depends whether the developers decide they want to target 4k60, and accept the compromises that come with that, over targeting 4k30.

Associate
The PS5 isn't going to give you 4k60 fps just by virtue of being more powerful hardware.

It depends whether the developers decide they want to target 4k60, and accept the compromises that come with that, over targeting 4k30.

No agreed it is going to be circumstantial for devs to focus on 4k60fps. My only argument is that currently the Xbox 1 X is hitting 4k30fps in some games - a solid example is AC:Odyssey, I would be somewhat disappointed that the consoles stated to be 4x more powerful aren't doing 4k60fps even with some settings turned down of course.

Shawrey

Associate
I'll be buying one. But it would be good to see the game that comes with it.

The dream would be GTA 6 in HDR :)

Given the previous timeline between GTA 4 and GTA 5 release as was 5 years between those so we are actually overdue GTA6 (nearly 6 years if you purchased initially on PS3/360) however, R* had RDR2 out last year so could be another few years before we hear anything on GTA6.

For sure the hype train would well and truly be boarded if GTA6 was announced to coincide with next-gen release.

I wouldn't count out a special re-master of San Andreas/Vice City though...

Shawrey

Associate
GTA 5s visuals on the PS3 were incredible, They pushed the hardware to the absolute max and made even some early PS4 titles look dated. In terms of GTA Rockstar skipped the PS4 (forget the remaster) so I would defo be very interested in a PS5 GTA title :)

Associate
The GTA series really is a benchmark for most systems, I guess RDR2 is their GTA 5 of this gen. They'll release a RDR2 on the next gen, maybe with PC as well with new visuals and features. Then GTA 6 will come out a few years later once they've milked GTA online and RDR2 as much as possible.

Soldato

I suspect very few developers will choose 4k60 over 4k30 with graphical bells and whistles.

Great visuals is a selling tool, and gamers lap it up.

I cant imagine any devs/pubs passing up that gravy train to deliver what some gamers want at the expense of what many gamers are happy to settle for.

Permabanned
"The only demonstration he gave to the Wired interviewer showcased the devkit’s impressively fast loading times, with Marvel’s Spider-Man loading in 0.5 seconds instead of the 15 you’d have to normally wait on a PlayStation 4 Pro. At the time, Cerny explained Sony equipped the next-generation PlayStation console with a ‘specialized’ SSD.

An ultra-high-speed SSD is the key to our next generation. Our vision is to make loading screens a thing of the past, enabling creators to build new and unique gameplay experiences."

"Sony and Microsoft have confirmed their next PlayStation and Xbox consoles to be coming in Fall 2020. We already know some of the specifications, such as AMD’s Zen 2/Navi architectures, hardware accelerated ray tracing, support for up to 8K resolution and 120fps, as well as a custom designed SSD that should massively improve loading times. What do you think about these early specs? Can we expect ‘revolutionary’ games thanks to these new consoles or just ‘evolutionary’ titles?"

What will this "ultra-fast" SSD be? Some report faster bandwidth than the GDDR6 chips - ~900GB/s vs 1000GB/s...
Some type of cache structure like HBM3?

https://wccftech.com/crytek-ps5-next-xbox-ssd-will-be-the-real-game-changer/
Crytek: SSD Will Be the Real Game Changer for PS5/Next Xbox, Opening Up Lots of Design Possibilities

https://wccftech.com/sony-ultra-high-speed-ssd-key-to-our-next-gen/
Sony: An Ultra High-Speed SSD Is The Key to Our Next-Gen, Making Loading Screens a Thing of the Past

Last edited:
Caporegime
I can't believe for a minute that the SSDs will be as quick as that when PCIe 4 is only 7GB/sec. However, if they have come up with a custom solution that is that fast, it would explain other comments about Xbox using the SSD space as virtual memory. The box itself may only come with 16GB but could use up to 64GB of SSD space as extra RAM.

Permabanned
Well, they say it will be 40 times faster than an HDD. 40 times 150 MB/s (for example), would equal ~6000 MB/s.

But, loading times acceleration from 15 seconds down to half a second?

Caporegime
I see Sony have bought Insomniac games. Spidey 2 as launch title (Cerny used the original to explain the benefits the new console's storage solution would bring to games)?

that’s big news. I hope they do something with the Resistance trilogy now. Maybe remaster it for PS5. But I guess it will be all hands on deck for Spider-Man 2.

Soldato
The last Killzone was a release day title bundled with the PS4, remember playing a few good hours of it and then for some reason didn't touch it after that. I remember it being graphically very good but nothing else I can remember about it.

Shawrey
It was visually stunning. Still holds up well, story wise I enjoyed it but not great.

2/3 had perfect mp too unlike shadow fall which is the ps4 launch title one

Back
Top Bottom