Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 front height speaker experience?

Associate
Wondering if anyone here has a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 speaker setup and what's your experience? I don't have the option to saw holes in the ceiling since I'm renting right now, so there's only two options. I watched a review recently of up firing vs front hight vs ceiling speakers (https://youtu.be/pqi5dEWp_vs) and now I'm pretty convinced that front heights are much more authentic option than up firing.

However the reviewer received the SVS prime elevation speakers from SVS for free and has Amazon affiliate links for it, so he's probably a bit biased towards those particular speakers. Anyone else here have a front hight 5.1.2 set up? What speakers are you using and how's your experience?

Associate
I Have 5.1.2 but with XTZ S2 speakers mounted high up on the left and right wall in the midle of my room. It works well but you can also mount these ontop of you front pair for up firing.

Associate
I went from KEF up firing R50 modules to the SVS Prime elevation speakers and Atmos sounds a lot better to me. I have 4 SVS's though, mI set them to top front and top rear in the AVR settings. I thought the KEF's were good till I got the Primes :)

Associate
OP
I went from KEF up firing R50 modules to the SVS Prime elevation speakers and Atmos sounds a lot better to me. I have 4 SVS's though, mI set them to top front and top rear in the AVR settings. I thought the KEF's were good till I got the Primes :)

Thanks. Good to hear from someone who's heard the difference first hand

Associate
OP
I Have 5.1.2 but with XTZ S2 speakers mounted high up on the left and right wall in the midle of my room. It works well but you can also mount these ontop of you front pair for up firing.

Is there a setting in your AVR for that? Not heard of that kind of setup before.

Associate
Is there a setting in your AVR for that? Not heard of that kind of setup before.

I Have a Anthem MRX720 amp and the room correction on it is exellent and it handles the setup for the speakers.

Speakers are down fireing but mounted right at the top of the wall. Due to the shape the design the cones are angled into the room towards the seating position.

Associate
OP
I Have a Anthem MRX720 amp and the room correction on it is exellent and it handles the setup for the speakers.

Speakers are down fireing but mounted right at the top of the wall. Due to the shape the design the cones are angled into the room towards the seating position.

Is that to say the cones are facing towards you, rather than towards the middle of the room? If so, how did you mount them like that if the key holes are on the rear?

Associate
They match up well with my bower & wilkins fronts and rears but apparently tonal matching is not as noticable for the atmos effect speakers.

Associate
OP
I have Dali Alteco as heights but they sit above and behind me.

Definitely fills the room on atmos movies.

It's not as amazing as going stereo - 5.1 but it sure ain't bad.

I think the Dali Alteco seem more in my budget, but I'd probably think about spraying them white to blend in with the ceiling more haha

Man of Honour
Don't want to hijack the thread. But I'd like an option on whether the Dali Alteco would be best mounted as front height or rear height down fiirng, for a listing position that is on a rear wall.

Associate
OP
Don't want to hijack the thread. But I'd like an option on whether the Dali Alteco would be best mounted as front height or rear height down fiirng, for a listing position that is on a rear wall.

I couldn't really say, since I'm still researching about it all myself. But from most places I've read, 5.1.2 using elevated speakers as the heights; front heights are optimal, and only adding rear heights for 5.1.4

Hedge said above he's using rear height channels. It would be interesting to hear a comparison between a front height vs rear height 5.1.2 setup.

Back
Top Bottom