• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Whats going on with zen 2 boosting?

Associate
Hey guys, just got my x470 gigabyte going with the 3900x. Boosting up until 4200 on all cores so far it seems. I guess we are being held back by Bios currently? Just posting up as I havent got chance to sift through reddit until tomorrow :D

Soldato
This is holding me back from buying a 3900x. I'm upgrading from 2700x so it's a bit of a "vanity" upgrade as it is, particularly due to the fact that my use case is overwhelmingly gaming. If the new CPU can't hold its advertised boost clock then I can't convince myself to buy it.

Hopefully this improves soon. :)

Caporegime
cant you just keep the top speed constantly ? so if your chip does 4200 cant you just have it run that all the time ? im not a eco warrior just want maximum speed at all times. this is possible yes ?

Soldato
Hey guys, just got my x470 gigabyte going with the 3900x. Boosting up until 4200 on all cores so far it seems. I guess we are being held back by Bios currently? Just posting up as I havent got chance to sift through reddit until tomorrow :D

We need motherboard and BIOS used to be able to see if there is an issue there.
Do you use Nvidia GPU also?

Do you try to overclock from BIOS or using Ryzen Master? Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers?

Associate
OP
We need motherboard and BIOS used to be able to see if there is an issue there.
Do you use Nvidia GPU also?

Do you try to overclock from BIOS or using Ryzen Master? Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers?

Thanks Panos. It's an x470 Aorus gaming 7 wifi board. Latest bios F40.

V F

V F

Soldato
cant you just keep the top speed constantly ? so if your chip does 4200 cant you just have it run that all the time ? im not a eco warrior just want maximum speed at all times. this is possible yes ?

That would be hilarious. Imagine seeing that on the news. Protests in the streets over overclockers for not saving energy. The way how most of the madness is today.

Soldato
Thanks Panos. It's an x470 Aorus gaming 7 wifi board. Latest bios F40.

did you follow all the steps properly? It does matter.
1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU

Soldato

3900X is 3.8GHz to 4.6GHz

4200 all core boost is correct.

At lower thread counts the clock speeds increase to the maximum clock speed at one thread.

tmp.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/20.html

Back
Top Bottom