• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Associate
Running a 4690K with a 1080ti and gaming at 3440x1440 at the moment.
I'm really torn, as I think my primary bottleneck is that I'm running 'only' 8GB of memory. But DDR3 really is a dead end to throw money at, and may not resolve my main gripe of lengthy freezes during shootouts in The Division 2.

Buying an all new CPU (probably a 3600), motherboard, memory and potentially PSU will be a vastly bigger chunk of change but is likely to last me another 5 years.

I've been watching a lot of reviews and keeping up with these forum threads hoping for that eureka moment that pushes me into a purchase - Come on SandVywellBridge owners, inspire me!

Man of Honour
I'm really torn, as I think my primary bottleneck is that I'm running 'only' 8GB of memory. But DDR3 really is a dead end to throw money at, and may not resolve my main gripe of lengthy freezes during shootouts in The Division 2.

Buying an all new CPU (probably a 3600), motherboard, memory and potentially PSU will be a vastly bigger chunk of change but is likely to last me another 5 years.

I've been watching a lot of reviews and keeping up with these forum threads hoping for that eureka moment that pushes me into a purchase - Come on SandVywellBridge owners, inspire me!
If I were you I'd be buying another 8gb of cheap DDR3 on ebay for a few months. Just find the cheapest stuff you can. You don't seem to be in a hurry to upgrade and as we all know, the longer you wait the cheaper or better things are.

Associate

Here is the core scaling of The Division 2. The fastest on there, the i7-6850k @ 8c16t, is slower than the 8700k in gaming. The 3600 matches the 8700k in the Division 2. Granted this is 1080p not 1440p like your monitor, and it's a 2080ti and not a 1080ti, so reduce the difference. But as you can tell, it'll be a significant jump in performance.

17191903331l.jpg

Associate
yea probably its all new hardware so i suppose there will be a few little instabilities at first no dout they will be sorted out though.

im just goining to try and hold out for a few weeks i think finding it very hard though...

3770K here and finging it difficult also. I've told myself for the longest time that I'd finally jump on this generation when it came but with the uncertainties around boards at the moment I know I should wait a week or so to see what happens. Tough though as I'd really like to have some new hardware to play with this weekend ;)

Soldato
3770K here and finging it difficult also. I've told myself for the longest time that I'd finally jump on this generation when it came but with the uncertainties around boards at the moment I know I should wait a week or so to see what happens. Tough though as I'd really like to have some new hardware to play with this weekend ;)
Same, but I'm not paying the same for a board as I do for the CPU. I've waited this long, I can wait for the cheaper boards.

Soldato
X570 being so expensive is annoying, entry boards at £160 is too much, keeping an eye out for the next couple of weeks and if they still don't get cheaper I'll probably get a 3600 with B450 motherboard, with decent RAM it's £350 which is cheap as hell, although I'd like a 3700x I won't pay thru the nose and a X570 is a must for me if paying £330 for a CPU.
Same, but I'm not paying the same for a board as I do for the CPU. I've waited this long, I can wait for the cheaper boards.
Get a B450, the retailer can update the BIOS if asked.

Associate
X570 being so expensive is annoying, entry boards at £160 is too much, keeping an eye out for the next couple of weeks and if they still don't get cheaper I'll probably get a 3600 with B450 motherboard, with decent RAM it's £350 which is cheap as hell, although I'd like a 3700x I won't pay thru the nose and a X570 is a must for me if paying £330 for a CPU.

Get a B450, the retailer can update the BIOS if asked.

Quick Q, but why would you say a X570 is a must for you on a 3700x? The only real advantage it offers is PCIE 4.0.

In terms of power delivery and stability, a top end B450 (say a MSI Gaming Carbon Pro AC) has the VRM and heatsink to handle even a 3900x, and makes more sense than an X570 unless you need PCIE 4.0. Granted, there's stability issues with BIOS drivers right now but that will probably be sorted out soon enough.

Soldato
Quick Q, but why would you say a X570 is a must for you on a 3700x? The only real advantage it offers is PCIE 4.0.

In terms of power delivery and stability, a top end B450 (say a MSI Gaming Carbon Pro AC) has the VRM and heatsink to handle even a 3900x, and makes more sense than an X570 unless you need PCIE 4.0. Granted, there's stability issues with BIOS drivers right now but that will probably be sorted out soon enough.
If I got a 3600, I'd be happy to upgrade again in 3 years, if I spend out for a 3700x then I'd like PCI-E 4.0 for NVME as I'd be rocking that for much longer, as you can see with my build I'll run them for years at a time, the only lacking thing on my build now is not enough cores/threads along with no NVME. Another thing is I'd rather have a chipset that is natively supported, again when spending £330 on a CPU that is something that's a must for me.

Associate
If I got a 3600, I'd be happy to upgrade again in 3 years, if I spend out for a 3700x then I'd like PCI-E 4.0 for NVME as I'd be rocking that for much longer, as you can see with my build I'll run them for years at a time, the only lacking thing on my build now is not enough cores/threads along with no NVME. Another thing is I'd rather have a chipset that is natively supported, again when spending £330 on a CPU that is something that's a must for me.

That's fair enough. Makes sense when if you're looking to hold onto it for a significant time period.

Associate

Have I missed something as I thought you could just as easily utilise PCIe 4.0 on some X470 boards too https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews..._7_3700x_ryzen_9_3900x_x470_vs_x570_review/11

I haven't seen that mentioned really on here so not sure If I've misunderstood somewhere along the line

Associate
So... whats the general consensus for an old Ivy 3570k user to be aiming for gaming then ? Im looking at currently the B450 Tomahawk and a 3600 or 3600X ? although I wont be purchasing untill nearer October, maybe possibly a little sooner

Permabanned
You would be crazy not to buy into Gen4 the prices are too high though they are priced more like the old x99 boards aka a fortune.

What happened to £150 boards and i got 16gb of 2400mhz lifetime GSkill for £136 4 years ago even my AX860i is now jumped by £80. Just keep your money for a bit unless something breaks.

Soldato
Tbh i'd wait awhile, competition is starting now between red and blue team and i would let them battle it out for awhile to help lower prices some more. Competition is good for us consumers and i can only see it getting better provided AMD keep bringing on the goodies and don't get greedy.

Soldato
So... whats the general consensus for an old Ivy 3570k user to be aiming for gaming then ? Im looking at currently the B450 Tomahawk and a 3600 or 3600X ? although I wont be purchasing untill nearer October, maybe possibly a little sooner

I think for gaming you've got the right idea. Are you aware there is an updated B450 Tomahawk Max due out with a few tweaks that might be worth having?

Associate
Tbh i'd wait awhile, competition is starting now between red and blue team and i would let them battle it out for awhile to help lower prices some more. Competition is good for us consumers and i can only see it getting better provided AMD keep bringing on the goodies and don't get greedy.

I think you're right about waiting, not that it's easy though after waiting this long. I'm not too fussed about the money side of things as paying a bit extra to enjoy new hardware a couple of months earlier isn't the end of the world. Missing out on improved parts however would be a a shame.

Associate
3770K here and finging it difficult also. I've told myself for the longest time that I'd finally jump on this generation when it came but with the uncertainties around boards at the moment I know I should wait a week or so to see what happens.

Same here. Overclocked 3770k stills seems to run everything I throw at it just fine. Bit underwhelmed by Ryzen 3000 series, and the number of issues people seem to be facing around here plus the high price of upgrading has put me off until at least next year.

The longer I leave it, the more I feel that the PS5 will be all I need. My 30 years or so of building my own - now too-damned-expensive - PCs may be coming to and end.

TrM

TrM

Associate

Conpetition is a good thing and tbh amd are the only reason why 8700k and 9900k exists if intel didn’t have competition the 8700k amd 9700k would both of been 4\8 thread cpu whilst they work out these 10nm problems they have.

But as for prices well that’s a different story and intel will never give to amd pressure On pricing yes the 9000series gave you more cores for the price but the price did go up across the board i5 i7 have been sold at a higher price then 8000series I mean generally not due to over pricing for stock etc . And intel introduced a i9 9900k at a large premium over the 2700x yes it was faster all round etc but was it 180 pounds worth faster? With a recommended price of 500.

Amd this time has added a ryZen 9 cpu at 499 dollars and 749.99 dollars now if leaks are to be true the 10 core intel cpu will be priced close to amd 16 core after all its intel and the other cpu will go head to head with r7 etc but I bet intel pricing will be up over this generation across the board.

Whilst performance\cores etc the amd intel cpu war will push things along nicely but pricing is going to suffer badly at the high end

Associate
I think for gaming you've got the right idea. Are you aware there is an updated B450 Tomahawk Max due out with a few tweaks that might be worth having?

I didnt no ! Going to take a look shortly tho, thankyou.

Same here. Overclocked 3770k stills seems to run everything I throw at it just fine. Bit underwhelmed by Ryzen 3000 series, and the number of issues people seem to be facing around here plus the high price of upgrading has put me off until at least next year.

The longer I leave it, the more I feel that the PS5 will be all I need. My 30 years or so of building my own - now too-damned-expensive - PCs may be coming to and end.

Know how you feel, looking foward to a core upgrade tho to be honest, mobo cpu ram, it's when the gpu upgrade comes around is where I feel the burn in the pocket justifying the outlay...

Associate

It depends on the games you play but I saw a big uplift in moving froma 4690K to an 8700K at 16:9 1440p in multiple titles, and that was with even a 980 Ti before I upgraded to a 1080 Ti. A 3600 would be a great buy.

Back
Top Bottom