• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, is anyone getting the 2060 Super today?

Associate
OP
Wut? :confused: You obviously don't want to go AMD if you think their performance is annoying. get Nvidia card then.

It’s not the performance I think is annoying. AMD seem the far better choice at this price point. What’s annoying is that I may have to go for an NVIDIA card that isn’t as good value simply for the fact that NVIDIA is better for VR currently (unless the new AMD’s are better). Obviously I play regular PC gaming mostly and the overall winner for price and performance is seeming to be AMD.

Associate
OP
The 5700XT is a fair bit faster than the 2060S so not sure why OP is considering a lesser card. They are the same price but 2060S is slower. Perhaps he hasn't seen any benchmarks...

I’m not considering them a lesser card. It’s about their VR performance. NVIDIA cards are considered far better optimised for VR at the moment and that’s the issue.
The AMD cards are obviously better value in this price point but NVIDIA are better optimised VR.

Soldato
I’m not considering them a lesser card. It’s about their VR performance. NVIDIA cards are considered far better optimised for VR at the moment and that’s the issue.
The AMD cards are obviously better value in this price point but NVIDIA are better optimised VR.

You didn't read what I wrote properly. You are considering buying the 1060S which is a lesser card but the same price as the 5700XT which is closer to a 2070s. No way will the 5700XT be worse than the 2060S in VR.

Last edited:
Associate
£400 (near as) for 2060S which ok I realise is a reject 2070, but no just no. As far as I'm concerned Nvidia is on a mission to artificially inflate or maintain high prices and I'm on a mission to watch for BS.

Associate
OP
You didn't read what I wrote properly. You are considering buying the 1060S which is a lesser card but the same price as the 5700XT which is closer to a 2070s. No way will the 5700XT be worse than the 2060S in VR.

Sorry for misunderstanding what you wrote in that case, though I’m not sure how you arrived st the conclusion that there’s no way the 5700XT will be worse in VR.
Granted I’ve seen the bench marks. 5700XT is a better card, but it’s not just about the raw performance, surely.

What about NVIDIA VR works?
Or optical flow, which is only on NVIDIA cards and has already been implemented for Oculus.
Or the NVIDIA unreal engine relationship.
Or the tensor cores in the Turing cards that are used for VR?

Associate
RDNA seems to have fixed all the weak areas of GCN like older DX11 or Nvidia optimized games that didnt run well on AMD compared to comparable Nvidia cards like GTA 5 or Witcher 3 (even beats Radeon 7 in some) so id be surprised if the VR performance isn't there too

bru

bru

Soldato
£400 (near as) for 2060S which ok I realise is a reject 2070, but no just no. As far as I'm concerned Nvidia is on a mission to artificially inflate or maintain high prices and I'm on a mission to watch for BS.

Your mission to watch out for BS, might want to look at your own post then, as the 2060s certainly isn't a reject 2070 any more than a AMD5700 isn't a reject 5700XT or a Ryzen 9 3900x isn't made up of reject Ryzen 7 3700x parts. They are just different SKU's simple as that.

Soldato
Sorry for misunderstanding what you wrote in that case, though I’m not sure how you arrived st the conclusion that there’s no way the 5700XT will be worse in VR.
Granted I’ve seen the bench marks. 5700XT is a better card, but it’s not just about the raw performance, surely.

What about NVIDIA VR works?
Or optical flow, which is only on NVIDIA cards and has already been implemented for Oculus.
Or the NVIDIA unreal engine relationship.
Or the tensor cores in the Turing cards that are used for VR?

AMD is straight garbage in VR, avoid at all costs! They used to have an initiative for VR back in the Polaris days, Liquid something, but they just gave up. Probably won't see much support until the VR market grows a lot more. But hey, Nvidia will take all the "free" wins it can get.

AMD really really sucks at niches unfortunately, just a consequence of the limited R&D budget I guess.

Back
Top Bottom