Garage plugs on separate ring circuit?

Soldato
Long story short - I’ve a POE switch in my garage for my security cameras. The switch is connected to my home network via a wireless bridge. It works ok but I’d prefer a wired connection. Installing a network cable is out of the question so I was thinking about homeplugs. Will the garage plugs be on a separate circuit? Is there any way I can tell?

Soldato
OP
I’m fairly certain that there’s just one consumer unit so that’s good news. The garage does have its own fuse box though however this is different from a consumer unit isn’t it?

Soldato
OP
I would but I’m currently away on holiday! If it’s any help, it’s 20 years old with trip switches. Now I think about it, there may be a “plug” on the unit with a label on it for the garage. I’d should know more but I moved into the house quite recently.

Soldato
The only way you'll know if Powerline adapters will work is by trying them.

The only thing that would absolutely stop them working is if the garage was on a different phase. That's very unlikely, and if it was you'd have a separate meter so it'd be obvious.

If it works okay on the wireless bridge you're changing things for the sake of it.

Installing network cables is almost always possible if you're willing to put the effort in.

Soldato
OP
As I said, it works ok with the wireless bridge but drop outs do happen which isn’t ideal. Installing a network cable would involve lifting floorboards in the house and then ten yards of slabs and paving. Should’ve said the garage is separate from the house!

Soldato
Installing a network cable would involve lifting floorboards in the house and then ten yards of slabs and paving.
Doesn't sound that bad. People have to more trouble than that for a reliable cabled connection.

You can't tell how well Powerline adapters will work by looking at the wiring, you've got to try them.

If that doesn't work create a better wireless bridge. If you can't get a reliable connection over that distance you're using the wrong kit or doing something wrong.

Soldato
I have some home plugs - one is in the garage plugged into a double socket on ring main with it's own breaker circuit - I have one in summer house which is off the bedroom ring main circuit and lounge one off it's own circuit -one here by PC in the small bedroom-- I get full strength signal on all of them but my wiring is only 10 yrs old on a new consumer unit.
I use Roberts internet radio in summerhouse and it works flawless.

Soldato
OP
That’s great to know as I thought homeplugs wouldn’t work across circuits. Thanks for the info. I’ll be back home in the next few days and will test and report back

Soldato
Just to clarify, homeplugs work across an entire phase which tends to be one house. Generally the electric companies have three phases and wire one per household - so a neighbour wouldn't be able to use your homeplug signal for example. But someone three doors down might!

Last edited:
Soldato
Which is why setting your own encryption keys is an important step. They’ll work out of the box, but will connect to every other set that hasn’t been properly configured.

Soldato
If I remember right mine clone my BT Home hub and use the same password so when I check with phone or nexus 7 they are locked and need the password - My old Solwise were open to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom