New Build Time

Associate
Hi all,
I posted a thread around February this year about building a new PC and was advised to wait until 3rd gen Ryzen. Well it's here and from the reviews it's looking pretty good.
So now I'm looking for advice on the spec.
I'm thinking Ryzen 9 3900X, 32gb RAM, RTX 2080Ti, 1TB M.2 NVME, 1000w PSU
Hardline watercooled so will need cpu and gfx blocks etc.
I have a White Lian-Li PC-O11 dynamic case ready.

Guess I just need at this stage some advice on which Motherboard, RAM, GFX and SSD to go for really. Is 32gb too much? Should I go for a one of the RTX super cards or is that just a gimmick?

Budget is about £2500 but would push to £3000.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh and it'll be an RGB build the likes of which will make the average person feel sick and dizzy.

Associate
I'm at a fraction of your budget but would definitely pick a much lower ryzen 3000 cpu and trade up in a few months as in Sept+. An extra upgrade buzz for your cash and easy money left in your pocket.

SSD is also tempting to play wait and see/upgrade later as you are well in x570 mobo chipset territory but prices for the new ssd's can only go your way.

You'll get my theme by now, but same for graphics card. More fun to be had by gettting a newer faster/cheaper one later.

Edit : why have only one birthday per year?

Soldato
Good question. I haven't really looked into how much power builds need these days. What do you suggest?

If you're not overclocking, a 600W PSU should be more than adequate. The 3900X, nominally a 110W TDP part, consumes less than 200W once the motherboard is included and you need 250W for the GPU. That's 450W total and you need a little bit for SSDs.

Soldato
Cool that should hopefully save me a few quid then.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...MD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-CPUs-for-Video-Editing-1522/

if pure gaming would have said 9700k ! but if your doing photowork and maybe video then ryzen !

again if its just photoshop, would go 3800x and save cash ! if there is video work being done then 12 cores!

can see above ^^^ ryzen 3600 matching 8 core 9700k 8 cores. for games HT or SMT doesn't make a huge benefit but with certain workloads it does, and as a general rule of thumb is more cores , the better ( why 6 core 12 thread i7 8700k is matches of beaten by 8 core 8 thread i7 9700k) but AMD's SMT is something else for workloads !

I also wouldnt run a 12 core ryzen 3900x thats about 200w when pushed with 2080ti ! - would look at 750w ! keeping between 50-75% max usage is a PSUs most eff rating

I would be have tempted to wait for 2080 Super 28th july as well! not going to be as powerful as 2080ti but a nice bump up from 2080 and saves a lot of cash !!!! though if you want 4k gaming its 2080ti

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom