*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
I'm not aware of anywhere local unfortunately, if there is any I'd love to give it a go. I'm using the blue bag stuff from logs2u at the moment.

Fair enough, I get my big k from ocado but when I'm in a hurry I have to pop over to Nottscroft in Edwalton, they sell both heat beads and weber coals but expensive at £15 a pop. Was hoping youd know of somewhere local that's sells at a good price.

Caporegime
I'm not doing anything too fancy today as I have my grandmother over who is fussy. Haven't made a start yet as it's too warm but planning on spatchcock, pork belly slices, burgers and sausages. I'm surprised I'm not smelling any neigh ours bbqing yet.

@Dianbobo notice youre in nottingham, do you get your coals locally if so wear from?
We didn’t start smelling them till about 7 round our way. I genuinely think that for a lot of people, it was too hot in the afternoon to do a bbq.

Associate
Yesterday was a hot day..

5.5 hours on 285f
Spritz with apple cider and water
Another hour

Problem is, one side was more tender than the other side. Im going to try without spritz next time

I found that spritzing dried out my brisket for some reason.

wVCk2zm.jpg
grOLeFi.jpg
WBS8l5Q.jpg

Soldato
Looks good! I did short ribs as well yesterday along with more Scotch eggs..

XmVS9v6l.jpg

UnC0d1ol.jpg

I've never bothered spritzing before, but I did them at a lower temperature. These were done at about 115C, wrapped in butchers paper at 75C and took 11 hours to get to 93C.

Soldato
Camping was a great success!

Unfortunately no pics due to my phone dying. Really nailed slow roasting on the go with these Cobbs!

Came back to report on the salt blocks i purchased as people were interested.

I would like to start of saying that they did in fact season the food, not much but food did develop a salt crust.. It didn't go hot enough imo to do steaks but pork loin chops were great on it. Scallops came out the best, with the salt really adding to the flavour and outside texture.

I will say that it wasn't anything special and the agg of getting it to temperature and then fiddling with it to get it hotter/cooler made the novelty wear off quick.

Then came the worst part - cleaning it... Some stuff cooked on pretty hard and the rough side of a sponge was not enough to clean it. I took a scouring pad and a bit of oil to it and even then its not perfect but the block didn't really get noticeably thinner. luckily because its salt, bacteria wont grow on it, so so long as it is relatively clean, it will be fine.

Would i recommend?

I would not recommend an expensive one until you have tried it but think a cheap one is worth a go. Buy a small thin one for under a tenner and try it out. Worst comes to worst, you've got yourself some decent salt to grate or smash for the grinder if you decide to never use it again.

Associate
Bit late, but this was from the big BBQ last Saturday

3KG Brisket and 3KG pork shoulder using the rub mixes from https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1405312963/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Start shot
Wj82zH9.jpg

Hour or 2 in
yByi47g.jpg

And just as I took the brisket off
7ZUmLMz.jpg

Wish I took more pictures but starting to get a little busy with guests and sides, but there was also BBQ chicken (from same book), lemon and oregano chicken and jerk chicken from the weber BBQ book. (oh and I guess burgers/sausage too, meh!). Also made the sauces for the brisket, pork and BBQ chicken. Got to say, the brisket BBQ sauce was spot on and reminded me very much of my St Louis BBQ experience from a few years back.

Sadly, the brisket was not actually done :( was too hot at around 140-150c over around 7 hours so was still tough so ended up back in the oven for the rest of the evening so the guess didn't get any. However I have been merrily eating my way through brisket left over all week long!!!

Back
Top Bottom