• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RX 480 G1 thermal pads

Associate
My card was running hot and locking up in games. I tore the thermal pads taking it apart and don't know what to replace them with or what thickness I need.

Soldato
Tearing them really shouldn't matter if they're still largely intact. Just put them back together like a jigsaw and they'll still work fine. If you want to replace them anyway, pretty much any similar pad should do. Shouldn't be difficult to measure the thickness for yourself. It's possible there might be a couple of different thicknesses for different components. If you really want the best of the best, the Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 range is said to be the best, if rather expensive. You can just cut them to size.

Associate
OP
I would leave the old pads on but I think I killed them. I took the cooler apart because it's having trouble with cooling and I was hoping that re-timming the die would improve stability.
How important are the thermal pads. Are these worth replacing?

1grnNzo.jpg

Soldato
I'd have no problem just putting that back on. The only bit that really needs any adjustment is the one on the top left on the cooler. Push that bit that's moved towards the screw back into line and it'll be absolutely fine. The pieces will just slot back together when you put the cooler back on and still do their job perfectly well. They're still all going to make good contact between the component and the coldplate. The VRM ones are the most important, and those aren't damaged anyway.

Associate
OP
I put it back together and it seems to run as hot as before.
I reduced frequency by 5% and set a more aggressive fan profile and it was stable gaming at 63C after 2 hours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom