Any current or former chauffeurs?

Soldato
So I'm sat on route to Heathrow and having the usual 'this seems like a cushy job' thoughts about the guy driving me.

Now I'm sure there are many downsides, such as the 3am pickups like my one and the stressed client who's flight takes off in an hour and you are sat on a stationary M25 but on the whole you are going to be spending a fair amount of time left to your own devices. Most I speak to only do my run then drive the car back empty and that is them done for the day.

So 6 hours or so driving someone elses S or E class Merc and if you are lucky some unsociable git writing forum posts rather than talking ;) I'm sure there are many downsides but has anyone done this type of work here?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Errm, I drive myself. Because I'm not a snobby git
Hahaha! Oh dear, if you knew me you'd realise how off the mark that comment is!

My employer uses a local chauffeur company for airport runs. Cost wise it isn't massively more expensive than a taxi, we can pay monthly on account and most importantly no matter what time of the day or night you need taking or collecting they are always there and on time.

Soldato
Do this at the budget end of airport transfers

Think one step removed from a normal taxi in the sort of halfway ground between that and chauffeur.

Easy job decent money if you put the hours in but it depends how you do it

Drive for someone else your on not much more than minimum wage the guts driving S class mercs for Emirates earn less than the guys driving my Skodas as an hourly rate.

Work for yourself it can be great but means long hours lots of hassle think flight delays causing scheduling clashes and the initial outlay and ongoing costs to play in the exec market best vfm would be a xlwb Vclass cover both exec and airport work (my next purchase hopefully)

Soldato
My mum did a part time job for a company that chauffered pilots around, we lived 10 mins from East Mids so it was handy.

They'd ring her, see if she fancied going to pick up a pilot who needed transferring back to EMA for example.

She enjoyed it, said the pilots were generally decent people and she had flexibility.

Soldato
Isn't it just being a taxi driver in a nicer car?
Thats what all the taxi drivers say but no

It's all about actually having people skills and being able to actually do the job at a skilled leve
I've got 30 something drivers on my books

Your lucky if I would say 20% of them would cut it as a chauffeur

Soldato
The danger with most jobs is that people who do them well, make them look easy. A friend of the family went from driving for the local Police force (literally ACC’s personal driver for several decades) to running his own private service, obviously he had a certain background/training level that some found desirable and he made a comfortable living from what he said, but being a one man band was difficult at times logistically (flight delays can cause havoc), no days off, expensive insurance, restricted licence conditions for pickups’s etc.

Man of Honour
Drive for someone else your on not much more than minimum wage the guts driving S class mercs for Emirates earn less than the guys driving my Skodas as an hourly rate.

I wondered about this because you get 'free' transfers with Emirates and I thought it must cost them a bit, I live about 75 road miles from Heathrow (luckily under 70 miles in radius) and cars seemed decent both ends (even in India where most cars are sheds).
UK drivers also seemed friendly and approachable / chatty. There must be logistical challenges too in terms of where you end up and having to return to home/airport etc making it even less efficient.

Soldato
OP

Work for yourself it can be great but means long hours lots of hassle think flight delays causing scheduling clashes and the initial outlay and ongoing costs to play in the exec market best vfm would be a xlwb Vclass cover both exec and airport work (my next purchase hopefully)
That most certainly seems the case. All but two of my driver's have been retired guys either looking for something to keep them occupied for a couple of days a week or to get a bit of extra cash. The other two were a guy who'd just left the forces and the owner of the company because he couldn't find anyone wanting to do that particular job.

I doubt there are many people driving for that particular company that rely on it as a career.

I was very impressed with the V-class the one time I got picked up in one.

Soldato
I was very impressed with the V-class the one time I got picked up in one.

indeed stunning bits of kit especially the new model definitely on our shopping list in AMG spec some cracking deals on atm we were offered 10 grand off list on an extra long AMG V250d

that said same dealer was offering 36 grand off the list price off of a S400
wonder if theres a serious slowdown in sales in the chauffeur market to prompt such price cuts

Man of Honour
new model definitely on our shopping list in AMG spec

Yea, I can imagine AMG spec is super handy for taking people to the airport. It'd suck in non AMG spec :confused:

Surely you want the one with the smallest wheels with the biggest tyres - for both comfort and running costs and fuel efficiency?

Soldato
Yea, I can imagine AMG spec is super handy for taking people to the airport. It'd suck in non AMG spec :confused:

Surely you want the one with the smallest wheels with the biggest tyres - for both comfort and running costs and fuel efficiency?

image is everything for so many people the person that books a skoda to go to work doesnt give a jot about what it looks like as long as its there and clean, the people that are booking exec transport do care about appearances, and more importantly badge above all. AMG>Mercedes>everything else for more than 4 passengers in the exec space otherwise i'd just buy another couple of vivaros and be done with it

Man of Honour
I get the difference between a Vivaro and a V Class but how many of your customers are checking to make sure the minibus is rolling on 19s not 17s?

I mean, it's a V Class Mercedes irrespective of trim level...

Soldato
I get the difference between a Vivaro and a V Class but how many of your customers are checking to make sure the minibus is rolling on 19s not 17s?

I mean, it's a V Class Mercedes irrespective of trim level...

trust me once i get one or 2 on fleet i'll be crowing loudly about our ****AMG****** Mercedes V class options :)

anyone remotely familiar with cars knows who or more so what an amg spec is -its blingy top spec (in the general publics eyes (personally someone says amg to me i think Hammer but i'm a car enthusiast) . if i twas as a 5 or a 7 series i'd be talking about M sport in the same vein

Back
Top Bottom