• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Man of Honour
Hope someone can help.

My son got an Overclockers PC for Xmas, following spec -
Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 56 Gaming OC 8GB
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
8GB ram

He recently got a a new monitor iiyama G-master 1080 144hz freesync monitor.

Fortnite is the only game he plays but he is saying the FPS keep dropping significantly and the frames lag or stutter.

Free sync is enabled and the settings in Fortnite have been dropped.

A quick search resulted numerous issues with this particular graphics card.

Thanks in advance.
My son uses my PC which is a 3930k CPU (which is slower than your AMD 2600), Vega 64 (a bit faster than your vega 56 but the same architecture) and 32gb RAM (much more than your RAM). It is true that Fortnite works better on nVidia cards but I still get a consistent 100+ FPS so I would expect the V56 to get more than enough for a smooth game. I am also on a fairly high resolution of 2560x1600.

I see that he's running at 1080p so I would have thought the Vega 56 is find for that.

However I suspect the low 8gb of RAM is the issue here. Once you run out of RAM then performance will be affected. Can you try leaving the task manager performance graphs running and when you get stuttering then switch out (alt tab) and see if you're running at maximum RAM? Nowadays I recommend 16gb to gamers. 8gb is a bit low for 2019 although enough for most games (just about).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sorry, yes just saw that. A V56 should be absolutely fine for Fortnite on that resolution. The CPU should be OK too (again not the fastest but fine). The weak part of that system is 8GB of RAM. Once Windows runs out of RAM then it starts using the hard drive (or SSD in modern systems) to swap memory around. Even an SSD is magnitudes of time slower than RAM. So if you've run out of RAM you'll see sudden slowdowns.

Depending on how many memory slots you have, you could probably add more quite easily. But first try checking in the task manager performance tab to see if you're running out of RAM.

EDIT: Also welcome to the forum :)

EDIT 2: You'll always fine issues online with any piece of hardware. But generally the V56 is a good card. I think the issues mentioned on the Gigabyte is that the cooler on it is adequate rather than as good as some other brands.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, yes just saw that. A V56 should be absolutely fine for Fortnite on that resolution. The CPU should be OK too (again not the fastest but fine). The weak part of that system is 8GB of RAM. Once Windows runs out of RAM then it starts using the hard drive (or SSD in modern systems) to swap memory around. Even an SSD is magnitudes of time slower than RAM. So if you've run out of RAM you'll see sudden slowdowns.

Depending on how many memory slots you have, you could probably add more quite easily. But first try checking in the task manager performance tab to see if you're running out of RAM.

EDIT: Also welcome to the forum :)

EDIT 2: You'll always fine issues online with any piece of hardware. But generally the V56 is a good card. I think the issues mentioned on the Gigabyte is that the cooler on it is adequate rather than as good as some other brands.
Agree with this, and you would be surprised at the difference dual channel RAM makes to FPS, even with the same amount of RAM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k5wA7EFwpo
One thing I would suggest, is if using freesync, is to enable enhanced sync in the settings. This might help with the freesync if it drops below 144 fps

Soldato
Just tried the division 2 and i left the settings mostly as what it gave me which was mostly high with a few lower tho dunno which now. Using freesync and with a cap off at 74 in drivers ive managed to get a reasonable i think 45fps in their benchmark at 4k and best part is its not a cpu bound game :) as never went above 80max usage for cpu. At 1440p its basically constant 74 except when the odd cutscene pops up and goes to 30 sometimes. Well impressed with the visuals it looks stunning. Plus nice free game that came with my vega 56 so win win. :)

Thats with my 4.4ghz cpu overclock turned off and no undervolting or ocing on the gpu. :D I wonder what 4k score id get with them back on.

Oh yeah it was dx12 option i used ingame as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Tried borderlands 2 thought since i got really good performance from a 780ti that it would be even better on vega 56, but doesnt seem so, and yeah i turned physx to low.
I've also gone from a 780 ti to a Vega 56, so far it's the heat that I notice more than anything! The 780 ti was a great card but didn't support some of my flight sims or VR programs. I've noticed a few short freezes compared to my old card in non demanding games as well, are you generally finding it to be a better performer?

Soldato
Lets just say the 780ti just worked in all games and performance wasnt bad i dunno why i upgraded now i think i just wanted something more modern due to the 3gb limit of the 780ti. I thought the v56 was cheap compared to what the price was a year ago i mean it was near 400 wasnt it so if it was 250 that would have been a steal yeah? Ive had issues with performance since putting the 56 in, desktop usage seems to have dropped, i get big black bars around windows when dragging them quickly up and down i dont think i had that on the ti. Some games have the fps yeah but stutter so had to mess about half a day or more trying to minimise it. Some games tho just fly and fly well with the 56, like witcher 3, ppl say id probably not do well cos its a cpu hog and id be bottleneck well i went in on high settings and hair off if it was a option i cant remember and fps vs the ti seemed big it felt smooth and very responsive. Tomb raider 2013 i think it is can play 4k pretty well maxed out with the hair thing off. I got division 2 with the card and that albiet it was just the starting 5 mins little gun fight bit but that was 45fps 4k on whatever settings it did for me, i think most were high with the odd few bits a bit lower down. It felt very smooth and responsive. So im like yeah its fast in some areas, some it has issues which might be cpu related now, and then theres the slow draw time of stuff in 2d on windows 10 desktop. I didnt really want a amd card but i thought since i had a freesync monitor and i hate tearing i thought id get one for it i mean i know nvidia gsync comp works on my monitor so could get a nvidia modern card for it but amd would work 100% properly and not just a compatability thing if u know what i mean. Then again with vsync on the ti was fine lol. I could play games with vsync on and not have input lag and would just play nice.

The heat tho, the ti card got up to 80s the 56 i dont think ive seen go past 60 much and the fans when it does spin up isnt loud compared to the FE ti blower noise when that span up to cool it at 80c ish.

Im really trying to like the card and some games make me think wow yeah this is cool when it works well but ive had issues with games i did not have at all with the ti like gta 5, gta 4, no man sky, borderlands 2.

I think im gona have to put the ti back in and test windows desktop to see if its the vega or my monitor 5ms responce time thats causing them black juddery bar things around the edge of windows when resizing them as if its the card doing it then nah i cant keep the 56 then if the ti fixes it. If its the same as it was on the ti as the 56 then i guess it was my monitor afterall for that issue of low responvieness of desktop usage.

So stressed..

Associate
Similar position myself. Figured a more modern card would be a nice improvement and just work better, so far it seems to give me a few more issues than I was expecting... I didn't notice my 780ti getting hot and heating up my room like this Vega. Furmark gets it up to 80C pretty quickly, so I've ordered some new case fans to try and get more air to it. The Vega is one of AMD's top cards so was expecting a decent bit of kit.

My CPU is older than yours so could well be the bottleneck, but since I'm running games with the same settings can't see why a better gpu would give me freezes (split second but noticeable).

Did you do a fresh install of windows or just remove the Nvidia drivers? Maybe that is one of our issues?

Lets just say the 780ti just worked in all games and performance wasnt bad i dunno why i upgraded now i think i just wanted something more modern due to the 3gb limit of the 780ti. I thought the v56 was cheap compared to what the price was a year ago i mean it was near 400 wasnt it so if it was 250 that would have been a steal yeah? Ive had issues with performance since putting the 56 in, desktop usage seems to have dropped, i get big black bars around windows when dragging them quickly up and down i dont think i had that on the ti. Some games have the fps yeah but stutter so had to mess about half a day or more trying to minimise it. Some games tho just fly and fly well with the 56, like witcher 3, ppl say id probably not do well cos its a cpu hog and id be bottleneck well i went in on high settings and hair off if it was a option i cant remember and fps vs the ti seemed big it felt smooth and very responsive. Tomb raider 2013 i think it is can play 4k pretty well maxed out with the hair thing off. I got division 2 with the card and that albiet it was just the starting 5 mins little gun fight bit but that was 45fps 4k on whatever settings it did for me, i think most were high with the odd few bits a bit lower down. It felt very smooth and responsive. So im like yeah its fast in some areas, some it has issues which might be cpu related now, and then theres the slow draw time of stuff in 2d on windows 10 desktop. I didnt really want a amd card but i thought since i had a freesync monitor and i hate tearing i thought id get one for it i mean i know nvidia gsync comp works on my monitor so could get a nvidia modern card for it but amd would work 100% properly and not just a compatability thing if u know what i mean. Then again with vsync on the ti was fine lol. I could play games with vsync on and not have input lag and would just play nice.

The heat tho, the ti card got up to 80s the 56 i dont think ive seen go past 60 much and the fans when it does spin up isnt loud compared to the FE ti blower noise when that span up to cool it at 80c ish.

Im really trying to like the card and some games make me think wow yeah this is cool when it works well but ive had issues with games i did not have at all with the ti like gta 5, gta 4, no man sky, borderlands 2.

I think im gona have to put the ti back in and test windows desktop to see if its the vega or my monitor 5ms responce time thats causing them black juddery bar things around the edge of windows when resizing them as if its the card doing it then nah i cant keep the 56 then if the ti fixes it. If its the same as it was on the ti as the 56 then i guess it was my monitor afterall for that issue of low responvieness of desktop usage.

So stressed..

Soldato
I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lok3fWWFUE and just basically used his undervolt settings he has for a driver i was using tho ive adjusted the ram from 900 he has to 850 just to be safe and the stage 7 about 1600 max at about 1070mv thingy. Dunno if its actually doing much i just really thought i best get the power down a bit. I have samsung memory on the card i dunno if u do, check in gpuz.

Heres mine http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=41305602945405164933 If u wana try the wattsman tool and these settings profile for it. Dunno what happens if i messed it up but i havent had a crash or anything.

No i havent reinstalled windows, too chicken too as got loads of games installed and dont wana lose save files or what not thats in my docs or appdata etc or lose custom windows settings etc. Tho tempted to swap in a spare 250gb ssd i have and try a fresh install as then i could swap it back if it didnt work out. Depends if i cba tho.

Hmm just noticed u have a msi 56 not a pulse so i take it ur on a blower card, thats tricky. I guess my card has better cooling then with being a pulse than urs, shame. Maybe the undervolt could help tho? Your cpu tho is basically same as mine +/- some IPC between us. Is the cpu overclocked a bit?

Associate

So stressed..

Did you remove all the Nvidia drivers? The black borders sound like driver issues/conflicts.

Have you used AMD Wattman to undervolt the card?

Have you gone from 1440p to 4k at the same time? If so the Vega 56 like the 780ti won't be very smooth at that resolution, it's a 1440p card really.

How much RAM do you have?

I'm wondering if the stuttering could be a bottleneck caused by a weaker CPU. IE the 3570 simply can't feed the V56 quick enough so you experience lag/stutter

Last edited:
Soldato
The black border is more of a delay in windows redrawing stuff than it being actually black black as a thing like a ghost trail with black and redrawing speed really low on the right side and bottom of the window i resize lets say chrome window that is half the res size of fullscreen. Think of pointer trails on a mouse but instead of the pointer trailing its the edge of windows trailing and looking like slow redrawing or refreshing rate.

Yes i have a few times now just to be totally sure used ddu and amd driver remove tool to wipe both amd and nvidia and intel drivers off pc then put amd ones on, in safe mode to remove and normal mode for install etc. Typical thing as u do.

Ud say that but division 2 at 4k DSR thing (tho amds version) can play at solid 45 (at least at the start where u have a little gun fight) and is butter smooth and actually makes me glad i got the card for a change lol. 75 solid (capped) at 1440p, i think its a mix of high and few low ones, i didnt adjust settings i just ran what the game installed with and setup for me. I think the card plays better on more modern engines than old ones like gta 5 engine.

Mainly got the card for x4 foundations even tho im not playing it atm cos of lack of content, still waiting for them to flesh it out and release some of the big dlcs that were planned at release for later this year. Thing is its the first proper vulkan game, so they say, and so i was stuck on lowest gfx cos ti was a 3gb card even tho theres not much different at higher its just apparently from them they said it was better to have more vram so thought right ill get a card thats from amd so should be better at vulkan than nvidia, has 8gb of good vram on which i thought hbm2 was compared to gddr5 and more modern so got the 56. Plus i figured rdr2 and gta 6 isnt far away so new card should be good for those too.

Associate
The black border is more of a delay in windows redrawing stuff than it being actually black black as a thing like a ghost trail with black and redrawing speed really low on the right side and bottom of the window i resize lets say chrome window that is half the res size of fullscreen. Think of pointer trails on a mouse but instead of the pointer trailing its the edge of windows trailing and looking like slow redrawing or refreshing rate.

Yes i have a few times now just to be totally sure used ddu and amd driver remove tool to wipe both amd and nvidia and intel drivers off pc then put amd ones on, in safe mode to remove and normal mode for install etc. Typical thing as u do.

Ud say that but division 2 at 4k DSR thing (tho amds version) can play at solid 45 (at least at the start where u have a little gun fight) and is butter smooth and actually makes me glad i got the card for a change lol. 75 solid (capped) at 1440p, i think its a mix of high and few low ones, i didnt adjust settings i just ran what the game installed with and setup for me. I think the card plays better on more modern engines than old ones like gta 5 engine.

Mainly got the card for x4 foundations even tho im not playing it atm cos of lack of content, still waiting for them to flesh it out and release some of the big dlcs that were planned at release for later this year. Thing is its the first proper vulkan game, so they say, and so i was stuck on lowest gfx cos ti was a 3gb card even tho theres not much different at higher its just apparently from them they said it was better to have more vram so thought right ill get a card thats from amd so should be better at vulkan than nvidia, has 8gb of good vram on which i thought hbm2 was compared to gddr5 and more modern so got the 56. Plus i figured rdr2 and gta 6 isnt far away so new card should be good for those too.

GTA5 is probably the worst performing game on AMD hardware as a whole. According to this though the 1% lows should be significantly higher on your V56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YthPacgJVlc

If you want to play it on 4k though, you can see it just won't perform well. Other games will but this one doesn't suit AMD hardware.

Associate
Thanks, I'll give your settings a try. Reading up on WattMan if you push too far it should simply reset everything back to default.

Yes mine is the blower design, wish I had read up on it a bit more before ordering it. There's a decent aftermarket cooler I could invest in https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-morpheus-vega-heatpipe-vga-cooler-silver-hs-034-rt.html but I've not done anything like that before on a GPU.

My CPU is on 4.2 Ghz as well, so pretty nippy.

My new fans should arrive today or next week, given the old ones mostly came with the case back in 2011, or were older still, it could be they are no longer working the best they can. With an undervolt hopefully it'll drop my temps back to something acceptable. Then it's just working out why I get pauses.

I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lok3fWWFUE and just basically used his undervolt settings he has for a driver i was using tho ive adjusted the ram from 900 he has to 850 just to be safe and the stage 7 about 1600 max at about 1070mv thingy. Dunno if its actually doing much i just really thought i best get the power down a bit. I have samsung memory on the card i dunno if u do, check in gpuz.

Heres mine http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=41305602945405164933 If u wana try the wattsman tool and these settings profile for it. Dunno what happens if i messed it up but i havent had a crash or anything.

No i havent reinstalled windows, too chicken too as got loads of games installed and dont wana lose save files or what not thats in my docs or appdata etc or lose custom windows settings etc. Tho tempted to swap in a spare 250gb ssd i have and try a fresh install as then i could swap it back if it didnt work out. Depends if i cba tho.

Hmm just noticed u have a msi 56 not a pulse so i take it ur on a blower card, thats tricky. I guess my card has better cooling then with being a pulse than urs, shame. Maybe the undervolt could help tho? Your cpu tho is basically same as mine +/- some IPC between us. Is the cpu overclocked a bit?

Associate
If u havent had the vega long u could send it back and swap for a different one under distance selling regs.
Only a week or two. Last night while trying to load up my VR headset the whole desktop would end up bright green! Think Ill try as you suggested and pop in another hard disk, should have one somewhere, and see what it's like on a fresh install.

Soldato
Only a week or two. Last night while trying to load up my VR headset the whole desktop would end up bright green! Think Ill try as you suggested and pop in another hard disk, should have one somewhere, and see what it's like on a fresh install.

Try running AMDCleanupUtility.exe which should be located in a similar string as below..

C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-19.7.1-July7\Bin64

This will remove ALL AMD drivers and folders and is (in my opinion) better than running DDU :)

Then reinstall Chipset and GPU drivers again.

Associate
Try running AMDCleanupUtility.exe which should be located in a similar string as below..

C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-19.7.1-July7\Bin64

This will remove ALL AMD drivers and folders and is (in my opinion) better than running DDU :)

Then reinstall Chipset and GPU drivers again.

Thanks, I'll give that another go. I was on a Nvidia GPU, which is where issues are more likely to arise.

Seems the bright green was an option under my WMR headset, it had set itself to be very high (beta), dropping it to high cured that.

I've installed my new case fans and seem to idle around 45C, adjusted the fan speed of the card and it's down to mid 30's. Only difference is that I am now hot instead of the card haha...

Back
Top Bottom