• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What to get - Ryzen 2700 or 3600?

Associate
Hi, I can't decide what to get, a ryzen 2700 with the 8 cores or 3600 with the 6 cores.

I am a gamer only, to go with a vega 56.

Want it to last 5-7 years, I was thinking the 2700 because of the extra 2 cores might be better off in 5 years time vs 3600 but I don't know what to do.

What do you think?

Soldato
To me it depends a lot on what your pairing it with in terms of motherboard and ram. The 3600 can run on a lower end motherboard with worse mossfets just fine (as long as the motherboard has a supporting bios) and with potentially cheaper ram as 3rd gen Ryzen seems to have better memory compatibility and overclocking support (you don't need to hunt down b die ram for instance).

In terms of whether it'll be enough for gaming in the future compared to the 2700 with its extra cores it's hard to know, because of increases in single core performance they aren't far apart when both CPUs are run at max load. It's worth noting Zen 2 is the first iteration of a major change in chipset design and we don't know how it'll look 5 years from now, compared to the previous years with intel when it's been very stagnant in terms of design changes.

I myself went with a 2700 over the 3600 but that's because I also do video editing and rendering work where the increased threads are helpful. I'm also matching it with a more expensive motherboard than a basic b450 because I plan to upgrade within a few years to a more powerful chip. If I wasn't planning on upgrading on the AM4 platform and my main workload was gaming I would have gotten the 3600

Soldato
i have a 2700 non X and its AWEFUL! IMC was able to hit 3700hz but can get 4ghz stable on all cores even at 3000z hz or 2400...

for gaming, 3600X ! or 3600 if you want to put the leg work in

Associate
8 cores is good for longevity but the 3600 is surprisingly fast, beating the 2700 in ST and basically matching it in MT.
A 3700X would get you the best of both worlds but costs go up with that idea.

Ryzen 3600 Review, Price to Performance Champ!

Associate
8 cores is good for longevity but the 3600 is surprisingly fast, beating the 2700 in ST and basically matching it in MT.
A 3700X would get you the best of both worlds but costs go up with that idea.

Ryzen 3600 Review, Price to Performance Champ!

That's good to know, I was originally going with the idea of a 3700X but seeing how it's 70% more expensive at a mere 5% more performance in gaming I can't see how I can possibly justify that.

Caporegime
3700x if you keeping it that long.

people always work out the innitial cost when if you keeping it a long time you should work it out per year.

3700x you will have longer than the other two with better performance for all that time. 5 years at roughly £60 a year isnt bad.

6 core in two years will start to drop in games maybe even before. i wouldnt get the 2700 unless its at £100. as its pretty slow even now. never mind 5 years.

Soldato
I was in a similar position trying to decide which CPU to go with a Vega 56 that would last many years.

The chips you mentioned will never last that long and the 3700 was beyond my budget.

Ryzen chips go really cheap at end of life so i just bought a new 2600 + Tomohawk for only £200. I'll upgrade it to an 8 or 12 core Zen2 part in a couple years when they're also end of life and cheap because the Tomohawk has good VRMs that can handle up to 12 cores according to the compatibility chart.

Back
Top Bottom