Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I thought Virgin IPs were notoriously sticky? I have 3 lines in the Greater Manchester area for home offices and none of them have changed IP address in 18 months. These are all on the basic Voom 350 that doesn’t come with a fixed IP address.

Soldato
Managed to get an engineer out next day to look at the phone line which is pretty good going.

Edit: All fixed, nothing to do with the recent speed increase just a dodgy cable.

Last edited:
Associate
Paying for 350Mbps. Currently getting this. Upload was 41Mbps.
2n8ol6f.png

Man of Honour
Not sure if I misread it or you've edited your post but yes you would need to leave your hub off for quite a while to try and get a new IP. They are very 'sticky' though, as above mines stayed the same now for years.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
@Praz94 It's a glitch. My iPad does the same, reports nothing, when it is actually downloading (looking at my Unifi controller), then when it 'catches up' reports double ...

Any feedback on those replying to your IP question?

Soldato
I am currently on the old Gamer 200Mbps/20Mbps service as I wanted to avoid the SH3 issues by staying with the SH2 AC. However I am tempted by the new 350 and 500Mbps options especially for the 35Mbps upload and those services means an SH3.

So what's the view, is the SH3 with its work around (not fix) for the PUMA chipset issues? Is it that much worse than my SH2 which its lesser older PUMA chipset issues?

WiFi isn't an issue as I have a large stack of Ubiquiti kit sitting behind the superhub so its in modem mode.

I moved from BT to VM and tbh I haven't noticed a difference. Sure the network isn't as good as BT's (I was on FTTP 80/20 and the latency was really good and stable) but overall just browsing the internet, watching YouTube or streaming, everything seems fine. I haven't played a competitive online game so that might be where the lag *might* be noticeable but I doubt it. I don't get how people are experiencing these huge lag spikes or issues. It may just be a congested area they're in.

I no longer have my tbb BQM graph for when I was on BT, but the ping times were tighter and narrower to the bottom of the graph, where the highest points were around 10-15ms and there was a smooth yellow without too much deviation on top of a thin dark blue bit and a teeny green line filling the bottom.

My VM one isn't as good as that but through real usage I can't tell and neither can anyone else who uses the net here.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

@Praz94 It's a glitch. My iPad does the same, reports nothing, when it is actually downloading (looking at my Unifi controller), then when it 'catches up' reports double ...

Any feedback on those replying to your IP question?

Been busy so havent had a chance to test it, but I might leave the internet turned off overnight and turn it on in the morning to see if its changed. I do find it a bit strange though, because a few years ago, Virgin was easy to change IP. but apparently now its different...

Associate
TIL that superhub3 operating in modem mode should only have a switch/router attached...

I have my SH3 plugged into a draytek router which also a 4g dongle plugged in and set to automatically failover if cable goes down - all been working fine for months.
I also had TV/Xbox plugged into SH3 thinking it also acts as normal switch.

Internet failed last week, auto failover worked a treat, only noticed as there was a light on the dongle indicating it was in use (note to self, setup alerts).

Internet's still down a day later, or so I thought... A few cursory checks (removing the dongle) - still no internet's.

Phoned VM support, they switch SH3 into router mode, internet is magically restored!

I switch into modem mode, internet disappers...

Cue much puzzlement, rebooting of router, switching draytek config to defaults. Lots of different cable & port permutations but no joy.
Just about to give up and read something online that suggests the SH3 acts as a bridge to FIRST thing it detects.
I unplug the additional devices from the sh3, leaving only router plugged-in and voila it finally works without issue.

Spare switch being delivered later to give me a few more ports downstairs and keep the SH3 dedicated to modem.

[Edit removed comment aboutr SH3 operating as a switch when in modem mode]

Last edited:
Associate
It doesn't, caveats or not.

Doesn't the router warn you that only a single port can be used once it's in modem mode? They certainly used to.

I didn't spot any warnings when I enabled modem mode.

The SH3 was plugged into the router providing wireless and connection to the rest of the network.
I did have a couple of other devices plugged into the SH3 which I think have been functioning correctly... Xbox (seldom used so may not have been working) and I think also V6 box which has definitely been working.
I'll give it a little test when I get home and see if the other ports work or what was actually plugged in now it's back in modem mode.

Last edited:
Soldato
In modem mode routing (NAT) is disabled and only a single device is supported. You wouldn't, for example, expect to be able to connect multiple routers to a hub in modem mode. There's only a single WAN IP and it can't be shared (without routing/NAT enabled).

Associate
How's the virgin TV nowadays? I'm moving house to an area with Virgin and the broadband looks appealing... but how does the TV compare to Sky Q?

Soldato
How's the virgin TV nowadays? I'm moving house to an area with Virgin and the broadband looks appealing... but how does the TV compare to Sky Q?

Can't comment on all the internet/streaming to other room features these latest boxes have, but the virgin TV6 box is very good for our needs, its a massive upgrade over the older tivo box virgin used to use.
I guess it depends on what you watch, I mean sky has channels like sky atlantic, something you can't get on VM.

Soldato
I had both box's running concurrently for a while. The Virgin TIVO is good but the SkyQ just feels better designed and in operation it is a better experience. The thing that I liked most about the Tivo box was that it has an off switch as I like to switch my stuff off at night and with the SkyQ I have to pull out the plug. ;)

Soldato
Just upgraded to VIP500.

uYUllF2.jpg

I think its fair to say that if you are running a 350 package and want to run this kinda speed over WIFI you really need to be running higher-end AC3200 kit and/or WIFI6/AX.

I have tried a lower-end 3x3 AC end-point and it maxes out at 300mbit ish.

Back
Top Bottom