• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
Doing a good approximation of a higher quality ray tracer though using path tracing and the denoiser - Quake 2 is using it for more than just reflections - all lights and global illuminations use it as well as having caustic approximation though scattered/indirect light bounces seem to be highly constrained compared to a ray tracer - it doesn't seem particularly troubled by scene complexity or geometry I've been messing about with some custom maps and increasing scene complexity significantly beyond the stock maps has less than 1% performance impact.

Thats the thing, Path tracing is more computationally expensive and more physically realistic compared to ray tracing.

Path tracing allows caustics and multiple bounces, along with diffuse scattering etc.

Man of Honour
Thats the thing, Path tracing is more computationally expensive and more physically realistic compared to ray tracing.

Path tracing allows caustics and multiple bounces, along with diffuse scattering etc.

Path tracing tends to be less affected by polygon count than a traditional ray tracing approach - I don't like the way people are talking about path tracing v ray tracing though as it ends up with talking about different things as when people say ray tracing they often mean a specific type of implementation.

Permabanned
2080 Super is £669 for FE and basic models, expect an ROG Strix to be like £750-£800

Thats exactly what i expected Strix at £799 and Zotac AMP at £750. I do not know what i make of that over say the Strix 2070s at £450. Thats a tough call well worth waiting until 26th to get an idea of how far these go.

But 2080 super sadly is not a cut down 2080ti or titan but something else where as Asus could basically use everything from the 2080 Strix onto the 2070s Strix. I am hoping for 2080ti performance if you can get to 2100mhz core why not? They are prepping the 2080ti super anyways that is where the Titan RTX will get the 2070s treatment. But the 2080 Super is not in the same convenient position as those two it might be the worst of the three.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Hope they are prepping the 2080Ti Super as it’ll drop the price of the current Ti.

If it goes EOL I can pick up a second one. :cool:

Soldato
Hope they are prepping the 2080Ti Super as it’ll drop the price of the current Ti.

If it goes EOL I can pick up a second one. :cool:

Been offered an MSI 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio for just under a grand, trying to stop myself from pulling the trigger and wait to see if there is indeed a 2080 Ti Super.

Man of Honour
Even then the RT is still low quality (even at ultra) Turing just doesn't have the hardware for a high detailed Ray tracer. The Cyberpunk demo at E3 ran on a titan RTX at 1080p30 to get teh quality they showed. And there is only so much optimising you can do with Ray tracing to reduce teh computational load before you start greatly compromising quality.

Personally I can't wait to see games use it properly - unfortunately static screenshots don't do it justice and I'm having problems capturing video from the game partly because its trashing my 1070 into the ground at any kind of quality level worth capturing but it is possible to get this out of Quake 2 (on a 2080 or higher it would be playable FPS - probably even a 2070 just about):

LrYGBiS.png

Associate
But 2080 super sadly is not a cut down 2080ti or titan but something else where as Asus could basically use everything from the 2080 Strix onto the 2070s Strix. I am hoping for 2080ti performance if you can get to 2100mhz core why not? They are prepping the 2080ti super anyways that is where the Titan RTX will get the 2070s treatment. But the 2080 Super is not in the same convenient position as those two it might be the worst of the three.

oh that's a pity I had a glimmer of hope that a 2080S with a good OC could disrupt the high end, but silly me seems like Nvidia want their cake for another round.

Soldato
Personally I can't wait to see games use it properly - unfortunately static screenshots don't do it justice and I'm having problems capturing video from the game partly because its trashing my 1070 into the ground at any kind of quality level worth capturing but it is possible to get this out of Quake 2 (on a 2080 or higher it would be playable FPS - probably even a 2070 just about):

The same, im not buying hardware for RT till the hardware is capable of a good implementation of RT. Turing is a start but even the 2080Ti is just not there when it comes to the performance.

From what is going around, AMD's implementation is supposed to be much more efficient while supporting more rays etc. So the consoles are likely to end up with RT performance exceeding a 2080Ti. Which TBH you need considering the hardware lifecycle.

Associate
RT and Turing is in it`s infancy there is no point to buying into this tech now even if you can justify the prices. The support that RT will get will be based on what AMD come up with for game console developers.

Soldato
RT and Turing is in it`s infancy there is no point to buying into this tech now even if you can justify the prices. The support that RT will get will be based on what AMD come up with for game console developers.
Nvidia (knowingly) made the same mistake as AMD did with the Bulldozer. Not much point of pushing hardware out when the software not yet readily widely available to make use of it.

Associate
So to summarize

Looks like super cards are d.o.a

2060s gets spanked by 5700 on price perf
2070s gets spanked by 5700xt on price perf
2080s not out yet...

Coupled with limited stock and price gauging = fail launch

Associate
So to summarize

2080s not out yet...

Bought the £475 Asus 2070 super myself. If I could've got a partner model of the 5700XT I would've got one of those instead but let's be honest they're going to be £400-£450 in terms of pricing, which removes a lot of the price-performance lead they're going to have (at least in comparison to that Asus deal)

Not sure I'd call that D.O.A tbh, especially since at the moment the choice is to get a horrific blower version, wait 1-2 months for partner 5700 models or get a 2070S for an extra £100 which is generally faster on average (naturally this might change with actual coolers on the 5700 cards). If you're building now with the Ryzen launch that's not exactly a choice in my opinion.

Soldato
There will not be a 2080ti super for these two reasons

Its a rediculous name

There is so little space between a titan and 2080ti that is not worth it for anyone to squeeze one in between. By sabotaging the titan sales and the ti in one go, also how do you upgrade a ti? Unlock all the cores? That's the titan.....

Soldato
There will not be a 2080ti super for these two reasons

Its a rediculous name

There is so little space between a titan and 2080ti that is not worth it for anyone to squeeze one in between. By sabotaging the titan sales and the ti in one go, also how do you upgrade a ti? Unlock all the cores? That's the titan.....

Simple, you add a 2080 Super Titan :D

Soldato
So to summarize

2080s not out yet...

No ones buying the blower models. The AIB models will be priced very differently.

Let’s not forget that if it wasn’t for a significant price cut Navi would have been DOA. Would be interested to see what sales figures are like as it’s fully in stock every where.

Back
Top Bottom