What watch do you wear?

Associate
They're stunning movements

5E1009AC9A1242C49F67.jpeg

incredibly this is what they classify as not finished for display :D

Soldato
My first venture into the more expensive (well, for me :D) watch world after losing my favourite Seiko:

tag.jpg

Question however, does anyone know where you can get replacement (genuine) Tag straps? Wouldn't mind a backup for when this one gets worn :)

Associate
Question however, does anyone know where you can get replacement (genuine) Tag straps? Wouldn't mind a backup for when this one gets worn :)

Nice watch, congrats.

You can normally order replacement Tag straps from most Tag ADs. However, they will be horrifically expensive. Tudor for example charge about £200 for a replacement NATO strap. If I were you I would take the original strap off and keep it nice then buy a good quality NATO from a third party. I recommend either Bark & Jack or Watch Gecko for NATO straps (This elastic one would be great on your new watch). Make sure you get the right width ;).

Soldato
Nice watch, congrats.

You can normally order replacement Tag straps from most Tag ADs. However, they will be horrifically expensive. Tudor for example charge about £200 for a replacement NATO strap. If I were you I would take the original strap off and keep it nice then buy a good quality NATO from a third party. I recommend either Bark & Jack or Watch Gecko for NATO straps (This elastic one would be great on your new watch). Make sure you get the right width ;).

Ouch :o

In that case I think I may get a cheaper NATO strap for everyday wear...will check out those sites, thanks :)

Associate
My Dad left me his Tag Aquaracer when he passed away back in 2012, and I wore it everyday until the crown broke (would no longer screw in) about 12 months ago, when it was resigned to its box. Took it to Goldsmiths a couple of months ago, who sent it off to Tag for a full service, replaced the crown and got it looking nice again - got it back last week, and paired it with a NATO strap from Watchgecko :D.

53-E2-B764-D93-B-4-A79-9137-B5241-DE4-EB75.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been offered a new Sub date by an AD, after I enquired 2.5 years ago. Timing-wise a month earlier or later would have been better, but there you go.

I assume they simply want retail and any haggling will be frowned upon?

Was just interested in other people's experiences. Oh and i'll insure it properly.

Soldato
No harm in trying, but I suggest doing it in person because if they are snooty, they could just sell it to the next one on the 'list'. You haven't a hope in heck of it working, but why not.

Ludicrous that you're buying something, but artificial scarcity is meaning waiting for years and tip-toeing around the money topic with them, but such is Rolex SS Professional Series life these days. They'll likely want to keep the warranty card and possibly desticker it for you too.

Soldato
Yeah I'll pop in tomorrow. My old man is coming with me, they know him well and he's an old-skool master at negotiating. I'm not expecting any discount, even for cash, but I figured I'd ask here first, because well... GD knows this stuff.

Soldato
I've been offered a new Sub date by an AD, after I enquired 2.5 years ago. Timing-wise a month earlier or later would have been better, but there you go.

I assume they simply want retail and any haggling will be frowned upon?

Was just interested in other people's experiences. Oh and i'll insure it properly.

No point in even trying for a discount.
These are selling for circa £10K on the pre-owned market right now

Soldato
No point in even trying for a discount.
These are selling for circa £10K on the pre-owned market right now

Indeed, as expected no discount. We did however get tea/coffee, a bottle of champagne and an umbrella :D (it was bucketing down). Overall I'm very pleased with the watch and AD cs. My dad is a long standing customer of theirs, but I wasn't, so quite happy at getting this after years of waiting. It does however coincide with the birth of my daughter, so that's a nice way to look at it.

Makes me want a GMT2 now to keep the sub company. Perhaps by 2025 my luck will come in again... apparently they aren't even taking names anymore for that or a green sub. Oh well, happy with lot.

Soldato
There are some really fantastic watches in this thread. Bravo...!

I managed to grab one of the 300 Apollo X themed ‘Snoopy’ watches from Undone, just waiting for it to dispatch.

It’s a fun watch, with a great dial. Of course I would a Snoopy Omega but this Seiko movement watch is £330 and doesn’t have an extra few zeros behind it....

Undone-LUNAR-MISSION-Apollo-Tribute-Watches-05.jpg

Soldato
Are there any reputable places to sell your watches? Ebay is so full of scammers atm, was wondering if there are any reasonable places people have used?
You tend to get better prices on the riskier places, so eBay prices are often above those elsewhere as the audience is so much greater.
Try Watchfinder if you want a scamfree one (but you'll take a hit on sale price) or join a watch forum where you can sell. Still risk with the latter, but much less so compared to eBay given your greater control over the deal.

Caporegime
Well, I just broke my own code and ordered a Rolex. I always said that I would never buy a Rolex because of the negative brand connotations that it has (mainly in the UK where most people seem to hate other people having anything nice) but then I saw the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm with white dial and thought to myself: "Wow, that is almost a one-watch quiver for pretty much every occasion". Plus, where I live no-one really looks twice or makes judgments based on watch brands like this.

The price is also pretty similar to the Omega Aqua Terra (which looks tacks and cheap in comparison to this elegant beauty). Indeed, as far as luxury watches go i would say it is pretty damn reasonable for a watch this timeless and beautiful, not to mention one that will retain its value. Apparently there is a 2-3 month lead time.

Pics:

This will be my last watch purchase for a long while I think, as I will then have the following small collection:

Seems like a reasonably well-balanced little collection. :)

Soldato
My Dad left me his Tag Aquaracer when he passed away back in 2012, and I wore it everyday until the crown broke (would no longer screw in) about 12 months ago, when it was resigned to its box. Took it to Goldsmiths a couple of months ago, who sent it off to Tag for a full service, replaced the crown and got it looking nice again - got it back last week, and paired it with a NATO strap from Watchgecko :D.

53-E2-B764-D93-B-4-A79-9137-B5241-DE4-EB75.jpg
Looks great, I love a nato.

Back
Top Bottom