What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Nice - that is one thing I'm a bit disappointed about - don't have a Android head unit and the level of integration on mine means I can't easily swap it out.

Though I usually have my phone, etc. on me having google, etc. on there would be handy.

Caporegime
Found a black interior to transplant into the S60, in good condition apart from some undone stitching on a bolster which needs stitching up again. Very little in the way of wear...

Dash, plastics, console, carpet, cowling, glovebox, door step trims, door cards, and seats - 150 squid.

Only catch is that its a 380 mile round trip...... Trying to find one a bit closer but really struggling...

Soldato
I’m waiting on a load of parts, but the UK bits have come in, so I started with the easy stuff.

New rubber fitted to spare rims and dosed with Ultraseal. They won’t be fitted till DHL manage to get the rear Bilstein’s/camber kit/stabilisers and the rest of my parts out of Germany as it’ll need tracking.

Next up headlights, I plan to do a full refurb, but I did a quick test with SRP by hand to cut the yellowing, they came out really well for a few minutes work and I fitted Philips 150%+ bulbs. The N/S was easy, the O/S it turns out had been bodged by a garage to pass an MOT some years ago. The reflector had apparently broken loose (stated reason for failure) and the ‘fix’ apparently involved a self tapper and a bit of plastic. They then realised the bulb base plate wouldn’t clear the screw head/plastic, so they ground a notch out of the bulb meaning it couldn’t take a standard bulb. It’s now been chemically bonded to the housing flush. Headlights are now nice and clear, bulbs are bright white.

Then rain stopped play :(

Soldato
Think I'll have to rip apart the dashboard to find the split in the wire. I've tried a new wing mirror to see if it sorts my adjustment issue but no luck. So it can only be a split as taking the fuse out has no effect on the drivers side but does on the passengers.

Man of Honour
Is Ultraseal any good? I know similar products work very well on mountain biking, but they dont reach 70+mph, get nearly as hot, or carry a tenth as much mass.
I've used similar stuff in my motorbike tyres which have a much harder life in general than car tyres and it's saved me from being stranded on a couple of occasions.

Soldato
Is Ultraseal any good? I know similar products work very well on mountain biking, but they dont reach 70+mph, get nearly as hot, or carry a tenth as much mass.

Yes. Different formulations have different applications, the blue is rated to 150mph+ and i’ve seen people using it at those sort of speeds on two wheels without issue, but the blue isn’t suited to mountain biking for example. If it can seal after being shot with a round from an AK47, it’ll handle your average screw/nail.

http://www.ultrasealgb.co.uk/site/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=5

Man of Honour

I dunno about the likes of Ultraseal that you have already in the tire but I've not been impressed with the emergency ones (including brand name and OEMs) you put in the tire after the puncture - 9 times out of 10 with friends and family it has failed to work with even the smallest of punctures leaving them stranded or we've had to pick them up, etc. and seems increasingly common for manufacturers to provide it rather than a spare wheel.

Soldato
@Meaker What car? And where did you purchase that from?

Belsee unit designed specifically for my car (Hyundai veloster), it includes:

Steering wheel controls (Including voice button for google assistant though you can program them)
Auto AC update (Not for temperature setting but at least but fan speed, direction at least)
OEM reversing camera support
2 Extra USB ports for peripherals
GPS and MIC are new but fairly easy to route

Build quality is OK, mostly solid, the buttons round the screen don't have quite the same fit as the OEM and I had to repair the MIC connector and solder one of the wires together since I had the CANBUS and external AMP for my speakers.

It says Android 8.0 but shipped with 9.0.

Back
Top Bottom