Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Soldato
I really don't think Liverpool would see it that way. £150m on one player, any player, they wouldn't do it.

Anyway, if we're holding out for £150m, I don't think he'll leave. It's very complicated though. Milinkovic-Savic would be a great replacement.

We wouldn't but could. We banked 250m prize money this year.

But that is not how the club operates. We target players that fit klopps ethos.

That said, I do think we need two top class additions to the squad.

Soldato
United don't need to sell this summer and I don't think they really want to, despite Pogba and his agent's statements about him possibly leaving, so they've set an asking price reflecting that. If Pogba really burned all bridges at United in the same way Arnautovic did at West Ham then I think United would revise that asking price. At some point the Pogba situation needs to be resolved, because they can't let him leave on a free, but he's still got two years - plus an optional third - remaining on his contract, so it doesn't have to be resolved this year.

Soldato
But that's the point being made. Clubs can afford Pogba but for whatever reason aren't willing to pay the fee required.

Exactly the point being made. I think part is due to his horrible agent.

Hell my team Aston Villa could afford him but we wouldn't do it. Albeit we might have a problem with FFP but does anyone really care about that apart from the EFL?

Man of Honour
Spurs are reportedly trying to ‘hijack’ our Saliba deal. Going to be interesting to see if they can get away with it, we must have the worst record in the top half when it comes to transfers. The likes of wolves, Leicester and Liverpool have really put us to shame in terms of transfers. We can’t scout decent talent and we can’t get rid of players for what they’re worth. It’s going to be a long few years unless we can fluke a top 4 position.

Don
You evidently have zero understanding of our finances then. As I mentioned to you previously in this thread, the club is generating north of £100m in cash before all transfer activities each year. Unlike other clubs, we don't have a mountain of debt to service nor have our owners taken a penny out in dividends. We could afford to spend over £100m net each season without breaking a sweat. If Liverpool wanted to bid £150m on a player then they could.

Regarding not being in the same league, presumably of the likes of Utd. You do realise that this coming season the difference in revenue between Liverpool and Utd could be as little as £50m? And as above, only 1 of those clubs is paying out 10s of millions in interest payments and dividends to their owners.

Associate
Spurs are reportedly trying to ‘hijack’ our Saliba deal. Going to be interesting to see if they can get away with it, we must have the worst record in the top half when it comes to transfers.

The timing of that - right after Koscielny decides to be Captain AWOL - doesn't seem coincidental to me. Wouldn't be surprised if they are just trying to put the pressure on and coerce a higher price. If they held a serious interest, putting it forward at the 11th hour seems unlikely - either that, or it's purely media talk. Similar to the stories last week that one of the conditions of Bale's move to Madrid was that Madrid couldn't offload any players to Arsenal in return - powerplay.

Personally, I'm not at all fussed whether we sign an 18 year old that seemingly wouldn't be eligible for us for 12 months anyway. We have bigger fish to fry (and will no doubt end up with minnows).

Caporegime
You evidently have zero understanding of our finances then. As I mentioned to you previously in this thread, the club is generating north of £100m in cash before all transfer activities each year. Unlike other clubs, we don't have a mountain of debt to service nor have our owners taken a penny out in dividends. We could afford to spend over £100m net each season without breaking a sweat. If Liverpool wanted to bid £150m on a player then they could.

Regarding not being in the same league, presumably of the likes of Utd. You do realise that this coming season the difference in revenue between Liverpool and Utd could be as little as £50m? And as above, only 1 of those clubs is paying out 10s of millions in interest payments and dividends to their owners.

What is Liverpool's kit supplier and title sponsor again? Like I said different league. It is honestly funny that people really think so many clubs could afford 150 million for Pogba but won't because he is not worth it.

Don
What is Liverpool's kit supplier and title sponsor again? Like I said different league. It is honestly funny that people really think so many clubs could afford 150 million for Pogba but won't because he is not worth it.
The difference in value between Liverpool's and Utd's kit manufacturing deals and sponsors will be less than the difference in European TV money this coming season. Like I said, you have zero understanding of Liverpools finances and seemingly football finance as a whole. Again, the difference in total revenue between Liverpool and Utd will be slashed this coming season and if Utd don't make the top 4 again it's very possible if not likely that Utd will be turning over less than both City and Liverpool the season after.

It is honestly funny that people think that the reason why nobody has paid £150m for Pogba is because they can't afford him. The club mostly linked with him have already spent £250-300m this window! That shows you just how highly they rated Pogba - they clearly could have afforded to buy him but have chose not to, at least at £150m. We've just seen the club linked with him last season spend huge money (in a single payment) on a striker that they don't really need instead of bid for Pogba - but then again their reported offer for Pogba last season was what, £40m + Gomes & Mina? Shows you how highly they rated him. Juve are about to take their spending to near £150m with the signing of De Ligt, not including their two 'free' signings that have likely cost them a combined £30m odd in signing on fees. We've seen clubs like Atletico (total spent nearing £200m) and Bayern (a club that you expertly said had no money) pay out over £100m in up front payments this summer without the slightest bit of interest in Pogba and then of course the City's and PSG's of this world where money is no object. But sure, nobody can afford him.

How many sides have got to spend north of £150m this summer before you'll realise that affordability isn't the issue with Pogba? The only reason why Pogba will remain a Utd player is because as yet nobody believes he's worth the fee that Utd could justifiably sell for. After the embarrassment of letting him go for practically nothing, only to sign him back for £100m and all the drama that's followed, including sacking a manager partially down to his relationship with Pogba, the only way Utd can let Pogba go would be for a huge profit. If Pogba left for sub £100m and ended up becoming the player he should be, Utd will look even more stupid than they do now. Then again if Pogba spends as much time walking around the pitch this coming season as he did last season it won't end too well for Utd either.

Caporegime
OP
Spurs are reportedly trying to ‘hijack’ our Saliba deal. Going to be interesting to see if they can get away with it, we must have the worst record in the top half when it comes to transfers. The likes of wolves, Leicester and Liverpool have really put us to shame in terms of transfers. We can’t scout decent talent and we can’t get rid of players for what they’re worth. It’s going to be a long few years unless we can fluke a top 4 position.
Our club is dying, it really is. Can’t afford any top players, manager seems a bit useless tbh, got an owner fleecing us dry and now our captains gone on strike. It’s no surprise I’ve had three emails in the past fortnight from Arsenal trying to flog me a season ticket. People are deserting. Don’t want to give the club their money any more. Can’t say I blame them tbh.

Soldato
Our club is dying, it really is. Can’t afford any top players, manager seems a bit useless tbh, got an owner fleecing us dry and now our captains gone on strike. It’s no surprise I’ve had three emails in the past fortnight from Arsenal trying to flog me a season ticket. People are deserting. Don’t want to give the club their money any more. Can’t say I blame them tbh.

I wouldn't give those owners any of my money, it's disgusting what they have done to the club. We get worse every year. They really should sell up now. They've made their money, and it's quite clear they don't possess any sporting ambitions. Pass the club onto someone that does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom