Best board for 3700x

Associate
was gonna buy it until I seen a good few posts on reddit with people saying x470 is hit and miss with the 3000 chips. my head is cabbaged from looking up reviews since I put my order in for the 3700x today

I know what ya mean, I'm going through the same motions it would seem. Nothing obvious seems to jump out at me at this point.

Associate
I know what ya mean, I'm going through the same motions it would seem. Nothing obvious seems to jump out at me at this point.
I ordered the cpu as soon as it came in to not risk losing out and having to wait for them to come back in stock since other places didnt have them in and ocuk was decent with the pricing.

Associate
Associate
I ordered the cpu as soon as it came in to not risk losing out and having to wait for them to come back in stock since other places didnt have them in and ocuk was decent with the pricing.

I might do the same today actually, I know for sure I want the 3700X so I might aswell get that while I wait to choose my board. Leaning towards one of the X470 boards at the moment as a couple of them at least seem to support PCI-e 4.0

Associate
I might do the same today actually, I know for sure I want the 3700X so I might aswell get that while I wait to choose my board. Leaning towards one of the X470 boards at the moment as a couple of them at least seem to support PCI-e 4.0
I thought you needed a x570 board to have pci-e 4.0? my cpu just came now quite late for a delivery but could be the fact that people have ordered some ryzen stuff as it always comes in the morning no later than 1

Associate
I thought you needed a x570 board to have pci-e 4.0? my cpu just came now quite late for a delivery but could be the fact that people have ordered some ryzen stuff as it always comes in the morning no later than 1

This seems to suggest otherwise: https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews..._7_3700x_ryzen_9_3900x_x470_vs_x570_review/11

There is also a Reddit thread with other users claiming to have this working on the Crosshair VII but it's down at the moment typically https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/caq5h5/x470_crosshair_vii_seems_to_have_pcie_gen_4/

Associate
This seems to suggest otherwise: https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews..._7_3700x_ryzen_9_3900x_x470_vs_x570_review/11

There is also a Reddit thread with other users claiming to have this working on the Crosshair VII but it's down at the moment typically https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/caq5h5/x470_crosshair_vii_seems_to_have_pcie_gen_4/
was looking at the reddit post its back up. it is tempting its if it stays on it with the next bios if amd do what intel done when you could use kabylake cpus on skylake mobos

Associate
was looking at the reddit post its back up. it is tempting its if it stays on it with the next bios if amd do what intel done when you could use kabylake cpus on skylake mobos

If they keep the PCIe 4 support then I think it's the way to go as the only thing we'll miss out on at that point would be USB 3.1 Gen2. On the plus side it's a much more mature platform, quieter as no fan plus is more power efficient. Not only that but the pricing should be better when comparing to their X570 equivalents. Fingers crossed

Associate
If they keep the PCIe 4 support then I think it's the way to go as the only thing we'll miss out on at that point would be USB 3.1 Gen2. On the plus side it's a much more mature platform, quieter as no fan plus is more power efficient. Not only that but the pricing should be better when comparing to their X570 equivalents. Fingers crossed
yeah thats the way I see it, pricing isnt the best on these new boards for what you are getting for the price. I understand having the newer features is adding cost but if old boards can do it I just dont get it. I badly want to use my 3700x and just game without my cpu hitting 100% all the time in games made for i7s even the asus boards the x570s they dont really offer much over the other models in the same price range. I just dont want to hold onto it too long and end up selling the cpu because ive past my return period

Associate
I went for a Asus X470 strix for my 3700X. PCI E 4.0 isnt a huge seller for me currently once i get it all up and running I'll give some more opinions on my choice. On a plus side the strix has decent VRMs that can cope with the 3900X if it was needed I think it basically has the same VRM as the X470 crosshair

Associate
I'm thinking of getting an x470 Asus crossfire vii hero non-wifi. I've been told that I need to upgrade the BIOS before installing the 3000 series Ryzen, is this true?

Last edited:

Rab

Rab

Associate
I'm thinking of getting an x470 Asus crossfire vii hero non-wifi. I've been told that I need to upgrade the BIOS before installing the 3000 series Ryzen, is this true?
think so, inquired about the the same board with wifi, need a bios update, wont work out of the box. think gonna go with the msi 470, can update from usb :p

Associate
I just wish there was a decent comparison between the different boards now and some guidance on what to go for... makes being an early adopter really had.

GPU, PSU and memory bought - just need to board now and the 3900x ordered... (and if I go with a new cooler too)

Caporegime
I was thinking about the Taichi, as seems to be the best (and recommended by 8pack), but i found i can get the Gigabyte Aorus Pro (which i like the look of), and it seems decent too, so i may just plump for that.

The fans don't bother me tbh, as i don't think they spin all the time anyway, and we used to get them years ago on boards so....

It is a minefield though, and ive not been AMD since the Athlons, so got no clue on their boards now.

Associate
I was thinking about the Taichi, as seems to be the best (and recommended by 8pack), but i found i can get the Gigabyte Aorus Pro (which i like the look of), and it seems decent too, so i may just plump for that.

The fans don't bother me tbh, as i don't think they spin all the time anyway, and we used to get them years ago on boards so....

It is a minefield though, and ive not been AMD since the Athlons, so got no clue on their boards now.

This is exactly my situation... almost enough to make me go to a 9900! Just so out of the loop with amd...

Associate
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus was given a breakdown and seemed decent enough in Gamers Nexus video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DinQsUNepoU

I ordered one. Just waiting for a few other bits to finish off my Desktop build. I don't like the idea of buying a board which was not designed for the 3000 series so I opted for a cheaper X570. I know it's not the best, but seems to be decent for the price. X570 is expensive but what new tech isn't?

Back
Top Bottom