• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1600x to 3600?

Soldato
The 1600 should be bottlenecking the 2080 massively in certain games. For example the third benchmark scene in Shadow of the Tomb Raider probably dips to 50fps even though the 2080 should be capable of pushing way more (very noticeable when you are playing the game in the same area). Assassin's Creed Odyssey also should be bottlenecked.

I previously had a 2600X with a 1080ti so I did quickly learn the bottleneck scenarios which prevented the card being able to hit 60fps.
Hmm, I have to say that's quite different from my experience in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at least (don't have Odyssey) using a 2600. Not looking it as any sort of overall CPU benchmark running at 1440p/max settings, but my minimum was still 70fps and I was GPU bottlenecked 100% of the time using an overclocked 1080 Ti.

sottr_2019_07_12_20_1oxjao.png

Assuming I'm interpreting the benchmark correctly, the lowest the CPU would have ever dragged it was 99fps, even if I went down to 1080p or put it on low settings.

Soldato
Hmm, I have to say that's quite different from my experience in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at least (don't have Odyssey) using a 2600. Not looking it as any sort of overall CPU benchmark running at 1440p/max settings, but my minimum was still 70fps and I was GPU bottlenecked 100% of the time using an overclocked 1080 Ti.

Assuming I'm interpreting the benchmark correctly, the lowest the CPU would have ever dragged it was 99fps, even if I went down to 1080p or put it on low settings.

That does indeed contradict what I was saying. When running the benchmark the CPU utilisation did reach like 80% in the third scene as you approach the market from above and GPU utilisation dropped from 99/100% down to 85%.

I don't have a screenshot, but if I plot some of the old log files, should be able to show the overall frametime chart.

edit:

Bit of a pain to go through log files, but in April I was testing raytracing performance, and the 1080p run without raytracing had the bottlenecking as you approached the market, frame times dropped to ~18ms.

https://gofile.io/?c=L8DCuL

Last edited:
Associate
At the moment, all seems ok. Had the BIOS updated to the last version few weeks ago. At the same time added another 16GB 8pack 3200 and still, no nasty surprises.
The processors, without any adjustments, is running cooler than the 1600x, and under over a hour stress testing, was at high 40s C. It's water cooled, but at the exactly same setup, I was getting mid 50s with the 1600x.
Another thing is, the PCH was way hot for my liking before, and still was. Despite good airflow, even with a fan closely pointed at it, was at mid 40s, and without the fan would go mid 50s. Replaced the thermal pad for the 1mm gelid gp extreme, which is rated at 12w/mk. Temperature now at mid 30s.
VRM still running as cool as before.
Thank you for the update. Which water cooler are you using? Plus, what timings are you running the RAM at?

Associate
OP
Thank you for the update. Which water cooler are you using? Plus, what timings are you running the RAM at?
I'm using a custom loop: 420 and 280 rad, both push/pull, CPU and GPU blocks by EK, single D5 pump, at speed 3-4. All connected to amazing 10 14cm Arctic fans + 5 14cm Phanteks included with the case :D. But all capped just before the noise kicks in, so a relatively quiet system.
The RAM is running at their standard speed, recognised straight from the box.
I think the CPU may allow some drop in voltages, but overclocking it, I don't see much gain, as if it is running cool enough, the turbo to 4.2 should be enough.
The RAM I'm sure can either run at higher clocks, just relaxing the timings a bit or at the stock speed (3200) and may try to reduce a bit the timings or the voltage.

Back
Top Bottom