• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FidelityFX And Radeon Image Sharpening Tested vs DLSS

Soldato
OP
The performance claims for what? I have seen it in person for RIS and it was 1-2fps. I have also seen reshade filter generally and they can take anywhere from 5 to 10 fps depending on the image.

Indeed, not sure what people about upscaling are talking about though. Everything I have had suggested there wasn't anything in that regards.

The confusion about upscaling is coming from the fact within Radeon settings GPU upscale must be enabled for RIS to work.

So when you run 1800p on a 4K monitor the GPU upscale the image to that display then RIS kicks in before the upscaling not after giving a better image.

This is the key steps about RIS is sharpening the image before the upscaling.

Soldato
The confusion about upscaling is coming from the fact within Radeon settings GPU upscale must be enabled for RIS to work.

So when you run 1800p on a 4K monitor the GPU upscale the image to that display then RIS kicks in before the upscaling not after giving a better image.

This is the key steps about RIS is sharpening the image before the upscaling.

No RIS itself doesn't upscales nothing. However you can downsample from 4k to 1800 and then use RIS to re-introduce the sharpeners from when the image softens. That is not upscaling from RIS, Nothing to do with the feature at all.

Read about the downsampling here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te.../1873-radeon-image-sharpening-vs-nvidia-dlss/

Edit and I know about when it does the sharpening. I showed that yesterday. My point is there is zero upscaling happening here. Pepe are wrong if they think it is.

RIS is purely sharpening but in a much better and more advantageous way than we've had before. RIS is not taking the 1440p image and doing anything else other than the sharpening. You can use RIS on native scale if you like too. It is just on regardless of native or downsampling.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fidelity FX with RIS can upscale and sharpen the image, but the game has to implement it.

Am purely looking at RIS (CAS driver version basically), but Fidelity FX contains CAS which is specific developer implementation. It is open source tool kit and so just allows them to fine tune some of the output that you don't get with the auto driver version.

Soldato
The performance claims for what? I have seen it in person for RIS and it was 1-2fps. I have also seen reshade filter generally and they can take anywhere from 5 to 10 fps depending on the image.

Indeed, not sure what people about upscaling are talking about though. Everything I have had suggested there wasn't anything in that regards.

For the FFX reshade. Which in Witcher 3 is barely a single frame. Same scene, off/on, it resulted in 0.50ms increase. That's it. It's not even worth mentioning, though some people seem to have this idea that reshade just tanks performance but Navi has magical hardware which sharpens at no-cost.

False, it's the same story for reshade. It's simply not resource intensive unless you heavily tweak it (and by it I'd really mean a different sharpener all together, as the FFX one is always light-weight) to be so.

Soldato
For the FFX reshade. Which in Witcher 3 is barely a single frame. Same scene, off/on, it resulted in 0.50ms increase. That's it. It's not even worth mentioning, though some people seem to have this idea that reshade just tanks performance but Navi has magical hardware which sharpens at no-cost.

False, it's the same story for reshade. It's simply not resource intensive unless you heavily tweak it (and by it I'd really mean a different sharpener all together, as the FFX one is always light-weight) to be so.

You are still on a crusade trying and miserably failing, to prove that RIS found on Navi GPUS is same to Reshade.
At what point you will understand it is NOT the same thing?

Soldato
OP
No RIS itself doesn't upscales nothing. However you can downsample from 4k to 1800 and then use RIS to re-introduce the sharpeners from when the image softens. That is not upscaling from RIS, Nothing to do with the feature at all.

Read about the downsampling here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te.../1873-radeon-image-sharpening-vs-nvidia-dlss/

Edit and I know about when it does the sharpening. I showed that yesterday. My point is there is zero upscaling happening here. Pepe are wrong if they think it is.

RIS is purely sharpening but in a much better and more advantageous way than we've had before. RIS is not taking the 1440p image and doing anything else other than the sharpening. You can use RIS on native scale if you like too. It is just on regardless of native or downsampling.

You must be confused with my reply. I not saying RIS is upscaling am saying GPU upscaling within Radeon settings must be enabled for RIS to work.

AMDs why of upscaling is using something that has already been around for years and have just built a sharpening tool to make that upscaling look better.

Soldato
You are still on a crusade trying and miserably failing, to prove that RIS found on Navi GPUS is same to Reshade.
At what point you will understand it is NOT the same thing?

The information is for people who can still see both good & bad in AMD's products. For those with eyes to see the results are clear. RIS is visually equivalent to the ffx reshade, and luma sharpen. Performance hit likewise nonexistent. And same goes for the devs' implementation like in Rage 2.

Soldato
The information is for people who can still see both good & bad in AMD's products. For those with eyes to see the results are clear. RIS is visually equivalent to the ffx reshade, and luma sharpen. Performance hit likewise nonexistent. And same goes for the devs' implementation like in Rage 2.

IT IS NOT THE SAME. What you do not understand?
Reshade applies to the whole frame instructing the system to create the image. In case of RIS, is applies only to pixels where the GPU makes decision which going to be, by how much and when, depending it's location, before the pixel is fully rasterized. Hence there are no artefacts avoiding to do edges or in places that do not need it.

Those things do not apply on Reshade. Get your head around please.

Soldato
IT IS NOT THE SAME. What you do not understand?
Reshade applies to the whole frame instructing the system to create the image. In case of RIS, is applies only to pixels where the GPU makes decision which going to be, by how much and when, depending it's location, before the pixel is fully rasterized. Hence there are no artefacts avoiding to do edges or in places that do not need it.

Those things do not apply on Reshade. Get your head around please.

Instead of the tech babble, it would be very easy for you to show RIS vs FFX reshade screenshots to debunk my claims. I fully understand how RIS is different, what you are (maybe wilfully) ignoring is that it doesn't matter - the results matter. Unless you can show that scenario I'm not interested in this "debate" any more than I'm interested in how much more different DLSS is than render scale reduction when the results are almost identical.

Soldato
Instead of the tech babble, it would be very easy for you to show RIS vs FFX reshade screenshots to debunk my claims. I fully understand how RIS is different, what you are (maybe wilfully) ignoring is that it doesn't matter - the results matter. Unless you can show that scenario I'm not interested in this "debate" any more than I'm interested in how much more different DLSS is than render scale reduction when the results are almost identical.
But it's not about just screen shots. This is not an Ansel clone.
It's about actual game play, frame rates, etc.

Soldato
But it's not about just screen shots. This is not an Ansel clone.
It's about actual game play, frame rates, etc.

I mean in terms of demonstrating the difference. If you can't do it through screenshots then you'd 100% not be able to do it with video (due to compression, motion etc). Frame rates? Already debunked that point, there's no performance impact for reshade greater than RIS.

The only possible difference that remains is visual. I've already tested out the open source implementation in Rage 2 & reshade and saw they're near identical visually. I have YET TO SEE anyone showcase how superior RIS is by comparison. If it's so obvious then why isn't anyone showing the difference?

Soldato
I mean in terms of demonstrating the difference. If you can't do it through screenshots then you'd 100% not be able to do it with video (due to compression, motion etc). Frame rates? Already debunked that point, there's no performance impact for reshade greater than RIS.

The only possible difference that remains is visual. I've already tested out the open source implementation in Rage 2 & reshade and saw they're near identical visually. I have YET TO SEE anyone showcase how superior RIS is by comparison. If it's so obvious then why isn't anyone showing the difference?

That is just not true. I put image sharpening on reshade and I get a 5-10fps hit, using RIS I get teh 1-2fps frame hit so there clearly is a performance difference.

Edit: that's on NMS that is very soft without any sharpening. Just that setting though gives me generally a 5+ FPS hit.

Last edited:
Soldato
That image is from RTX2080Ti posted on reddit yesterday. I can find the post if needed. The one from HU was from 2070.

There is a big discussion right now ongoing that DLSS quality depends on the GPU used. Which kinda shows how shady Nvidia is here. If 2 GPUs on same quality settings, display different image quality when DLSS is used.

Of course it does why is it even a discussion lol

Nvidia has mentikned it so many times that only the 2080ti can do 4K dlss all other cards are limited to lower resolutions

The problem with dlss is also that it only has a performance benefit when the frame rate is under 60. It’s these boundaries that make the whole thing a nightmare. Dlss needs to just die off now

Soldato
You must be confused with my reply. I not saying RIS is upscaling am saying GPU upscaling within Radeon settings must be enabled for RIS to work.

AMDs why of upscaling is using something that has already been around for years and have just built a sharpening tool to make that upscaling look better.

Ah okay yes you kinda made it sound like it was. In that regards, RIS actually works at native scale too. It is just an on/off feature. A

it is applied to every game when on automatically. So although you have to enable you scaling it doesn't mean it is generally using that. You can still do native 1080p/1440p/4k with RIS and it not actually doing any scaling.

So when you've posted saying it's been upscaling it depends on situation and is that it is necessary for RIS or linked too or anything. That's all.

Soldato
Of course it does why is it even a discussion lol

Nvidia has mentikned it so many times that only the 2080ti can do 4K dlss all other cards are limited to lower resolutions

The problem with dlss is also that it only has a performance benefit when the frame rate is under 60. It’s these boundaries that make the whole thing a nightmare. Dlss needs to just die off now

True, however the problem is that there are benchmarks displaying 4K DLSS 2070 doing 53fps and 3200x1800 + sharpening 5700XT upscaled to 4K, doing around 40.
However the 4K DLSS on 2070 looks crap, and the 5700XT looks as good as Native 4K.

Soldato
OP

It sure is great work and it's why I buy amd their focus on openness is what keeps me coming back.

It is worth noting though not all of the port is working.
The work amd is doing when using the GPU to upscale the image isn't working.

"However, do note that the upscaling part has been cut in the porting process as ReShade cannot do upscaling anyway, so only the sharpening tool remains."

Caporegime
It look's like what Radeon Image Sharpening, without Proprietary Hardware Acceleration is doing what DLSS promises but fails to do.

To give you a quick example the image below, from Left to Right: Native 4K - 1800P with Radeon Image Sharpening - 4K with DLSS.

The 1800P Radeon Sharpened Image is actually sharper than the Native 4K image, both are much sharper than the 4K DLSS image.

You can see it throughout the Image but i've added a helpful arrow to highlight the least subtle part where you can see the differences.

I'm quite impressed with what will probably fly under the radar, it deserves some attention because nVidia made a huge song and dance about DLSS and it doesn't seem to work anything like as well as AMD's solution.

LvqGzmE.png

Soldato
OP
@humbug You right this will fly under the radar you see what channels on Youtube are not hanging out of Nvidia back pocket. The guys showing this are the proper Youtube channels you should follow, If Nvidia released RIS the internet would be up in singing and dancing.

matter of a fact everything AMD does gets ignored by the mainstream press.

Back
Top Bottom