Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Soldato
None. Relied on the fat in the duck (of which there was a good amount).

I can do a great non-sous-vide duck breast so it's just the impact of 60 minutes sous vide I need to deal with.

Use some oil next time to get a proper sear/crisp, duck fat has a really low smoking point so at red hot temperatures it wont do anything. Avocado oil has on of the highest smoking points. You want to put the meat into the pan just before is starts smoking (It'll shimmer almost). That will get you the best sear which should result in a better crisp on the skin. The high temp and smoking point is important when it comes to sv as youre essentially flashing frying and have limited time before you start frying into the meat and defeating the purpose of sving it.

Soldato
Interesting. The web implies duck and advocado are similar....

Avocado Oil (Virgin) 375-400°F/190-205°C
Duck Fat 375°F/190°C

I'm not certain it isn't down to sitting in a bag full of duck juice for 60 minutes.

I might try using a hair dryer even!

Soldato
Interesting. The web implies duck and advocado are similar....

Avocado Oil (Virgin) 375-400°F/190-205°C
Duck Fat 375°F/190°C

I'm not certain it isn't down to sitting in a bag full of duck juice for 60 minutes.

I might try using a hair dryer even!

Just had a quick Google myself to check I wasn't wrong, checked 3 sites and Wikipedia. All state avocado is much higher at 271 vs duck at 190.

I can't imagine drying out would be the issue as I done a big old chunk of pork belly the other week and a few minutes in a hot pan I had crackling from a simple pat and wipe dry with kitchen roll.

Did you add any salt to the skin? Helps draw out the moisture as well making it even drier.

Soldato
Duck will take a fair bit longer to crisp than getting a good sear on a steak but the skin/fat should stop the breast over cooking. I would pre salt, sous vide, dry thoroughly and then 5 mins or so skin side down in a hot pan should sort it.

Associate
I'm definitely converted to Sous Vide for big or medium sized pieces of meat.

With my first go I did a Dexter forerib, tiny at 590 grams. I cooked it at 56 for two hours then browned it for two minutes each side in a really hot griddle. It was a bit over cooked but still really nice. Today I did a 950g "Rib Roast Joint" from Sainsbury's for 4 hours at 56 but browned the hell out of it first for 4 minutes a side in smoking ghee. The result was a lot better but the meat wasn't on the same level as the Dexter flavourwise.

I wouldn't use Sous Vide for a one portion steak though, it seems pointless faffing about like that for an inferior sear.

Associate
Morning all

I'm looking to buy one of these, probably the Nano or the BT depending on price.

Since I seem to have just missed a sale on the Anova site, anywhere else got them for a decent price?

Cheers!

Soldato
Morning all

I'm looking to buy one of these, probably the Nano or the BT depending on price.

Since I seem to have just missed a sale on the Anova site, anywhere else got them for a decent price?

Cheers!

Only anova really do them for decent prices from what I've seen. They very frequently have sales tho so I'd say hold out until the next one as they can be amazing prices.

Associate
Morning all

Cheers!

I got mine for £55 from Amazon but the price seems to have shot up to £119 try ebay for a used one.

Associate
Cheers for getting back to me!

Only anova really do them for decent prices from what I've seen. They very frequently have sales tho so I'd say hold out until the next one as they can be amazing prices.
Yeah, seems my best bet is to wait and to not get trigger happy :)

I got mine for £55 from Amazon but the price seems to have shot up to £119 try ebay for a used one.
Amazon prices are same as or higher then Anova and I'm not keen on a 2nd hand one.

Soldato
I've owned a anova for about a year now. My fave results have been a leg of lamb coated with English mustard cooked for 24 hours. Confit duck cooked for 16 hours and of course steak.

With steak it's all about the sear - I've tried, red hot cast iron griddles, pans with clarified butter, blow torches and tonight a BBQ chimney starter.

Well, tonight I ate the fillet steak of the gods. It all started with 28 day dry aged pure bred Hereford beef (not 50% pure hereford, 50% Holstein as most 'pedigree' beef is). Cooked at 52c for 60 minutes sous vide.

Then salted and peppered before about 60secs per side on a weber BBQ chimney. The results were fabulous, one of the top 3 pieces of steak I've had in my whole life.

BBQ chimney (right at the start):

fktjxyF.jpg

Halfway through nom noming it - served with some green salad, some ciabatta and a few chips - on and a really nice bottle of rioja we had been given:

XU5p15Z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom