Which music streaming service?

Caporegime
So I've no experience with music streaming services apart from YouTube

The ads now have driven me to pay for a service. On YouTube (which I listen to at work via work wifi) there are now ads every single song.
Often 2.

Out of principle I almost don't want to pay for the ad removal from YouTube.

I only have 5gb data allowance on my phone so I guess I'd need the ability to download as well as stream.

Options and suggestions? Don't need video really.

Soldato
Spotify is the best imo.

You can download whilst on Wi-Fi also to save playlists/albums and so forth to save your data.

If you can it may be worth looking into getting hte student pricing or the 'family pack' and sharing the cost £15 for 6 accounts with others. If you hunt around you can normally find 90 day trials etc so definitely give one a go first then can upgrade when your happy!

Caporegime
I think if you have an iPhone, Apple Music is better - there seems to be songs that are on that service that are not on Spotify (and maybe vice versa). I think both of them have 30-90 day free trials of the premium service for new users.

It's really cool when you see an advert on the TV for blah blah album and you can go and download it right there and then.

Soldato
Spotify family account shared with a few people is good value.

Spotify Connect is great, most modern amps support it, or you can use an echo dot or something.

Soldato
I have google music/youtube music, spotify and amazon

Spotify is much, MUCH better

Fortunately I get spotify included within my mobile package which I think is amazing value, but have to run google music as well to sync to my watch. Managed to get a student deal on it so £5 a month, but still annoying. Amazon comes with prime but it's a bit crap.

Caporegime
OP
Cool, was kind of hoping consensus would be Spotify. My gf has it, so can just expand it to the family option and tack onto that.

Associate
Some providers also have that if you pay about £5 extra a month on your phone you can get Spotify so it doesn't count in your internet data as well. Think Vodafone does it if I remember right

Associate
Another +1 for Spotify, been on a student deal for ages (4.99 a month) and the new phone contract comes with 24 months of free premium so i'll be moving onto that shortly. There isn't a lot of music i want to listen to that isn't available, it does the job fine.

Man of Honour
Deezer for sure. I’ve tried Apple Music, Spotify and deezer, deezer has been the one I’ve stuck with. Never struggle to find a song and it has all the features I need that other platforms offer.

I’m also with Three and have go binge so none of it comes out my data (applies to Apple Music too).

Trial them all and go with whatever you seem to stick to. If you listen to some hard to find music then go with the one that has the most content you’re after.

Another +1 for Spotify Family. One of my friends is the account holder, then me + one other friend pay him £5 standing order on the billing date. So we all effectively pay £5/month each, which makes it the same rate as Spotify Student.

Just a warning though, you can link Shazam with Spotify so that the Shazam'd tracks can be played in Spotify, BUT Spotify doesn't capture all of the Shazams. Sometimes you have the manually type what Shazam found into Spotify and then it will find the track ok for you. Occasionally that doesn't work either and that will be because the song isn't on Spotify at all.

Also very occasionally, a song that you knew and loved for years will disappear off Spotify (will show as greyed out!) It must be something to do with record labels not making the songs available any more. So yeah Spotify is far from perfect but it's still probably the best bet for cross-platform.

Soldato
Deezer for sure. I’ve tried Apple Music, Spotify and deezer, deezer has been the one I’ve stuck with. Never struggle to find a song and it has all the features I need that other platforms offer.

I’m also with Three and have go binge so none of it comes out my data (applies to Apple Music too).

Trial them all and go with whatever you seem to stick to. If you listen to some hard to find music then go with the one that has the most content you’re after.

I tried all of them for the free periods had quite a big playlist going on Deezer tried to transfer it to Spotify and a fair few it couldn't find on there, that was the first nail.
I stuck with it for a while but just didn't get on with Spotify.
Same with Amazon unlimited just didn't get on with it, the option for FLAC on Deezer was a huge bonus as well.

Soldato
the option for FLAC on Deezer was a huge bonus as well.
isn't deezer then £20p/m with flac .. the same as tidal
look like amazon may offer flac soon https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/26/hi-res-streaming-music/ beating apple music too.

.. but yes need download the OP is going to burn through 0.3GB per hour with flac 6-700kb/s, or half that with 320aac

I assume none of the mobile providers gives flac streaming for £5p/m that would be a deal

Back
Top Bottom