• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX2070 super on an X58 platform

bru

bru

Soldato
Ok I have waited for what seems like an age to consider buying my new graphics card and I've finally settled on a RTX2070 super, probably an EVGA one, but I just wanted to check if anyone as running one on an X58 platform before ordering.

My currant MSi 970 gamerX has done me proud, but I feel it is time to upgrade. Now I know that my Xenon 5650 6 core @4.4 will probably bottleneck a RTX2070 super, but I'm not to worried about that, as it will be quite an upgrade regardless.
I'm more worried about the non UFEI bios and the PCIe 2 interface. So if anyone is running a RTX card with a x58 motherboard ideally a Gigabyte X58A UD3R?

Soldato
I had a RXT2080TI running fine on X58 system just fine. You won't be bottlenecked much or as bad as you think. Right now i have a 1080Ti

Associate
PCIe 2 will still be good for a while longer. I would expect a minimal impact on performance. That said, I would seriously consider upgrading to the new AMD platform with PCIe 4.0

I upgraded from a 2500k to a 6700k and noticed a difference in productivity when working with very large documents, excel and referencing software. I especially noticed a big improvement in responsiveness moving from a Samsung 830 to a 970 Evo.

Soldato
A 16x PCIe 2.0 slot won't affect a 2070 Super at all. You have to go all the way to the 2080 Ti to finally have a card which does saturate it, and even then you only lose a few percent (CPU bottlenecks aside).

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
PCIe 2 will still be good for a while longer. I would expect a minimal impact on performance. That said, I would seriously consider upgrading to the new AMD platform with PCIe 4.0

I upgraded from a 2500k to a 6700k and noticed a difference in productivity when working with very large documents, excel and referencing software. I especially noticed a big improvement in responsiveness moving from a Samsung 830 to a 970 Evo.

At the moment it is an either or situation, cannot do both GPU and CPU. With the my GPU an MSI 970 gamerX is being the weaker link between my GPU and CPU.

Starting to doubt my self now, do I need a GPU now or could I put up with the 970 for another year. Hmm decisions decisions.

Soldato
I had a RXT2080TI running fine on X58 system just fine. You won't be bottlenecked much or as bad as you think. Right now i have a 1080Ti

I had the complete opposite experience, massive bottleneck in CPU limited games.

Kind of like buying a brand new sports car and limiting it to 60mph, pretending the limiter doesn’t affect it on every road. Each to their own though.

Associate
This depends on your use case. Is your PC only for gaming? Do you use it for work? Does it frequently hang during work load? Would you benefit from more cores and faster storage?
The second is how much longer your system will last. If you upgrade your GPU and are forced to replace your platform, would you be able to do so?
For me, I don't need all the eye candy and 144 fps. My system was frustrating during everyday tasks. For me, this includes editing a 350+ page thesis with referencing software.
Upgrading your platform may improve gaming as well with a more consistent frame rate, but I don't know for sure.

Soldato
I had the complete opposite experience, massive bottleneck in CPU limited games.

Kind of like buying a brand new sports car and limiting it to 60mph, pretending the limiter doesn’t affect it on every road. Each to their own though.

Yes there is bottleneck with 2080TI but its nothing like you describe. Certainly not a sports car limited to 60mph, which is highly exaggerated claim.

Granted i was playing at 4K, but the same 2080TI and 1080TI on 2700x @4k the difference was not much to write home about. If you are loosing 30%-40% frame rates here then i would certainly say upgrade but you are not not always anyway . The issue is if you can afford to buy a 2080TI you should also be able to afford a new system with modern CPU. If you are going to get a 2080TI i would certainly upgrade the CPU as you are loosing significance performance but with 1080TI its still a workable combo.

For a 1080Ti downwards the bottle neck is not big, there is a bottleneck and i am not arguing that but its not massive. Also what difference will there be between 150 frames and 110 frames? What i am trying to say is that they are both playable and it would tide him over until he can save up for something better in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IK0Yer4XTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH9tZtQZcZc

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes there is bottleneck with 2080TI but its nothing like you describe. Certainly not a sports car limited to 60mph, which is highly exaggerated claim.

Granted i was playing at 4K, but the same 2080TI and 1080TI on 2700x @4k the difference was not much to write home about. If you are loosing 30%-40% frame rates here then i would certainly say upgrade but you are not not always anyway . The issue is if you can afford to buy a 2080TI you should also be able to afford a new system with modern CPU. If you are going to get a 2080TI i would certainly upgrade the CPU as you are loosing significance performance but with 1080TI its still a workable combo.

For a 1080Ti downwards the bottle neck is not big, there is a bottleneck and i am not arguing that but its not massive. Also what difference will there be between 150 frames and 110 frames? What i am trying to say is that they are both playable and it would tide him over until he can save up for something better in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IK0Yer4XTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH9tZtQZcZc

We simply differ in our perspective or observation then. I saw a massive bottleneck, you saw a minor one. Regardless, the point is moot since no wise person would permanently couple a 2080ti with 10 year old x58 junk.

Soldato
Ok I have waited for what seems like an age to consider buying my new graphics card and I've finally settled on a RTX2070 super, probably an EVGA one, but I just wanted to check if anyone as running one on an X58 platform before ordering.

My currant MSi 970 gamerX has done me proud, but I feel it is time to upgrade. Now I know that my Xenon 5650 6 core @4.4 will probably bottleneck a RTX2070 super, but I'm not to worried about that, as it will be quite an upgrade regardless.
I'm more worried about the non UFEI bios and the PCIe 2 interface. So if anyone is running a RTX card with a x58 motherboard ideally a Gigabyte X58A UD3R?
I think it will be fine, i have a 5650 too, surprised how close it comes to my 5820k seeing as it only cost £15 :)

Soldato

If you're buying that GPU then your are probably gaming at 1440p which will work the card harder than the cpu. 2070s is more 2080 territory which is a step up from 1080p resolution for full use.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
If you're buying that GPU then your are probably gaming at 1440p which will work the card harder than the cpu. 2070s is more 2080 territory which is a step up from 1080p resolution for full use.

Yup 1440 144hz with GSync.

I'm just starting to wonder if it is a good idea at all and all the while the pre-order que gets longer and longer.

Hmm decisions decisions.

Soldato
Yup 1440 144hz with GSync.

I'm just starting to wonder if it is a good idea at all and all the while the pre-order que gets longer and longer.

Hmm decisions decisions.

I was up for getting the 2070S Evo while I thought it was part of the Asus trade in.

Would be a good fit for an X56** set up.

My 1070 is totally GPU bound in the latest multi-core games, the Xeon doesn't even break a sweat, and this is at 3440x1440.

Soldato

Which CPU, which GPU and which games?

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
OK so is the EVGA with a 10 year warranty extension worth an extra £79?

Bear in mind I have had the MSI 970 since Sept 2014 which is coming up for 5 years ago, it only cost me £282, so this GPU will be quite a step up from that, but I suppose that is a sign of the times.

Soldato
I would stay away from ASUS warranty for anything. Some real shocking stories out there with them.

EVGA has the best warranty service, FAST they are and flexible. ASUS have in some cases taken almost 3 months.

Gigabyte are second best, they are also good.

MSI is also good.

My choice in order of warranty, EVGA then Gigabyte and them MSI. Palit and others stay away from also cads from EVGA, Gigabyte ans MSI has some kind of transferable warranty when you sell the card to someone else so these are cards others look to purchase, hence better resale value.

You don't need 10 year warranty unless you keep your card for that long, 4-5 years is good enough after that the card is near useless for playing games. If 10 years is like 30 euro more then no harm to pay it but its not a necessity.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Yes I've heard some horror stories about Asus warranty before, but fortunately OCUK cover the warranty for the first 3 years I believe.

Back
Top Bottom