Painting a gas bottle to cook food in.

Soldato
Bear with me here.

Basically it's been something I have wanted to try for some years. My mate was telling me how he deep fries his turkey (whole) at Christmas. Apparently it's a great way to cook it.

I ended up getting a spare gas bottle, so a 15kg calor gas butane gas bottle, which had run out of gas. I have cut the top off this, and I plan to use that to place the oil in, then place that one some bricks, gas burner underneath and deep fry my turkey in.

So, my question. The gas bottle is metal and whilst the outside is fine, the edge where I have cut and inside is already starting to show signs of corrosion after less than a week outside.

I want to sand and paint the whole thing to stop it rusting, but what paint?

It needs to be heat resistant, well I mean it'll have boiling oil in, so something that will resist that.

Second it would need to be non-toxic. Now food safe and non-toxic are two separate things, food safe I'm not that bothered about, but non-toxic is probably a good idea.

Any ideas?

Soldato
I'd just coat it in cooking oil and put it in a big plastic bag while not in use. It should after a few uses naturally take on the oil from frying and become nonstick and rust proof.

I wouldn't want a paint on the inside.

Soldato
Someones been watching the BBQ pit boys :D.

I think the paint on the outside might burn off and give off fumes if it's not high tempt paint. I'd probably sand it off with a flap disk in a grinder then spray it with high temp BBQ paint if it was me.

Associate
Yeah season it with cooking oil and after a few uses will be non stick and rustish proof. I would run a few test runs by boiling water as well

Soldato
My god, you lot might as well lock yourselves in a padded room.
????

You didn't want it to rust and I just suggested that removing the paint and using proper high temp paint would stop that happening, you know, like BBQs use. Plus burning paint fumes while you're cooking food is not exactly desirable.

Soldato
OP
????

You didn't want it to rust and I just suggested that removing the paint and using proper high temp paint would stop that happening, you know, like BBQs use. Plus burning paint fumes while you're cooking food is not exactly desirable.
Sorry mate I didn't really mean to aim that at you.

Apologies and thanks for your reply.

Soldato
OP
Nah it'll be fine.

From the above advice I will sand off the outside and existing paint, respray that with some VHT paint (bbq paint effectively) because its a good point about the fumes from the existing paint. Give the inside a good clean the cover in vegetable oil to stop it corroding.

Should work a treat. I will get a little gas burner and some kind of thermometer to manage the temparature, few bricks to support it on, and then the last thing to think about is designing some kind of metal cage so I can get the turkey back out of the vat of hot boiling oil once its cooked.

Associate
and then the last thing to think about is designing some kind of metal cage so I can get the turkey back out of the vat of hot boiling oil once its cooked.

I think this is actually going to be the most difficult part - I guess it depends on the size of the bird, but they hardly lightweight dry!

Soldato
Personally I would imagine that coating the outside would be a powder coating job rather than paint. Find a local powder coating company and see if they have a product suitable and ask them to powder coat the outside. Better finish more likely last imo.

Back
Top Bottom