• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just purchased a 3900X and intend to use on X370?

Soldato
Love the fact that despite bios issues, it works.

When I was working out my build, I got told I was daft to be getting a 2700x on an "obsolete" x370 board (good OCUK bundle), and I should look at intel. That obsolete board can now drop in the most powerful consumer level cpu there is, and run it fine.

Associate
Yes BIOS 5009 is really only a beta I think and as far as I know running ComboAM4 1.0.0.2. So I think an update should be coming soon. I sacrificed stability in my 2700x for this early 3900x set up, but i'm willing to tweak and wait for updates.

In general compared to others, ASUS have been keeping this x370 board well stocked with updates and better quality too. No missing options in the BIOS or breaking functionality that I can see. So I do expect ASUS to support this board further, had they not I may have bought a Taichi.

So after your BIOS flashback you did not encounter any issues or bugs? Sounds very nice. Today I saw a video about Ryzen 3000 on older boards and the presenter said that the performance between ComboAM4 1.0.0.2 and ComboAM4 1.0.0.3 will be the same, so I guess the newer version will only contain some bugfixes etc. Would be nice to run the latest build asap though.

Associate
Love the fact that despite bios issues, it works.

When I was working out my build, I got told I was daft to be getting a 2700x on an "obsolete" x370 board (good OCUK bundle), and I should look at intel. That obsolete board can now drop in the most powerful consumer level cpu there is, and run it fine.
Hows overclocking on that board?

Associate
I'll get this looked into...

Yay,

Looking at the gigabyte support forum all 1st Gen Ryzen motherboards from Gigabyte are suffering from loosing nvme storage when paired with Ryzen 3rd generation. (All reports IV seen are on tbe latest (F40) bios.

I am holding off trying to get my 3900X running in my Gaming K5 until a fix is available / in testing.

Associate
So after your BIOS flashback you did not encounter any issues or bugs? Sounds very nice. Today I saw a video about Ryzen 3000 on older boards and the presenter said that the performance between ComboAM4 1.0.0.2 and ComboAM4 1.0.0.3 will be the same, so I guess the newer version will only contain some bugfixes etc. Would be nice to run the latest build asap though.

Nope no bugs :) or issues. All I had to do was clear the CMOS after it booted into BIOS safe mode when first turned on. Since then I've bumped up the memory to 3200Mhz for the first time with this set but with CL16 though (just set DOCP). I think I can squeeze out more performance from the Ram. The 2700x and 1700x I had before could all boot with 3200 but could never pass memtest for even half an hour. No issues with this set-up, stable as a table so far. From what I have experienced the BIOS is pretty decent from ASUS so they've done a good job there. I had no idea when I bought this motherboard that it had decent VRMs. So very happy with the performance of this CPU.

Associate
Running 3900X with a crosshair 6 x370. Could not get RAM sticks over 3200Mhz on cold boot. (i do have 4 sticks) My 2700x would run 3400Mhz no problem. running latest BIOS. Strangly from warm boot if I change the RAM to 3400 and reboot it works. I seem to remember this bug in the early days of ryzen. On cold boot I get an error code of C5. A Bios reset gets me back. Looks like ASUS have work todo.

Soldato
There looks to be an issue with Gigabyte x370 boards running 3rd Gen ryzen chips (look in the gigabyte AM4 forum)

Looks like PCIE m.2 ssd modules do not work :(

Any gigabyte reps about here to look into this ?

Glad I wasn't going mad. I did try the 3900X briefly in the X370 Gaming 3 with the F40 bios and, whilst it booted, my NVME drive was not found. Dropped the 2700x back in and presto drive re-appeared.

On cold boot I get an error code of C5. A Bios reset gets me back. Looks like ASUS have work todo.

Had the same problem. ;)

There is a second DRAM voltage setting!

BIOS > Extreme Tweaker > Digi+ Power Control > DRAM VBoot Voltage
By default it's set to 'auto' which is only applying 1.2v at POST.

2019-07-11%2017.01.53.jpg

Changed it to 1.35v cold boot problem solved.

Associate
Had the same problem. ;)

I’ll give that a go tonight thanks very much. By the way.

Associate
There looks to be an issue with Gigabyte x370 boards running 3rd Gen ryzen chips (look in the gigabyte AM4 forum)

Looks like PCIE m.2 ssd modules do not work :(

Any gigabyte reps about here to look into this ?

I have the same but on an Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac with the Ryzen 2400G all fine but put the Ryzen 3600 in, no m.2 drive detected.

Associate
Had the same problem. ;)

This really worked a treat thanks very much

Soldato
PCIE Gen4 can also be selected for the first PCIE slot on the Asus Extreme VI.
So all in all I'm pretty happy with my choice to stick with a older X370 mobo.

Looks like the gigabyte x370 k7 will have it enabled too! Not that i see myself needing it for well beyond that lifespan of the machine, but it may end up going to my son. Just makes me smile even more at the motherboard supposedly being "obsolete" when i bought it :D.

Associate
I saw this it really helped me out. My 3900X was running rather warm even on a custom water setup. By default the crosshair 6 pumps a lot of volts into the cpu. I reduced it to as the video says to 1.30 and temps were much better. Did not notice any performance drop.

Associate
You should have absolutely no trouble running 3600MHz+ on an X370 board. People have been pushing those speeds on first and second-gen Ryzen chips on X370 boards, and the new memory controller is a lot better. I'm currently running 3466MHz CL14 with extremely tight subtimings on my Crosshair VI Hero with a second-gen chip, and that's not exactly the best board for pushing high memory clocks due to its T-topology trace layout.

That isn't true though. The quality level across the board has been raised once again, but the best X470 boards still whip a lot of the X570 boards in terms of VRM capability. The Crosshair VII Hero as an example has a ten-phase vcore VRM using 60A power stages, so is capable of delivering 600A. Though you could never even come close to drawing half of that even with a 3950X (which will top out somewhere around 200A), so it's somewhat irrelevant. Either way, it's certainly better than what you'll find on many of the lower end X570 boards.

It looks good from where I'm standing.....

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/13757359?baseline=13848664

I saw this it really helped me out. My 3900X was running rather warm even on a custom water setup. By default the crosshair 6 pumps a lot of volts into the cpu. I reduced it to as the video says to 1.30 and temps were much better. Did not notice any performance drop.

Some of my own findings/observations.

Voltage 'auto' defaults are definitely running far too high for sure.

This kinda sucks for people that don't like messing around to be honest.
As 'auto' settings in my mind should always be considered like a 'safemode' starting point on any motherboard.

I found that the one single BIOS change that will bring down voltage settings across the board to more normal levels whist still being set to 'auto' for the most part is disabling 'Core Performance Boost'.

If you are manually OCing it's probably a good idea to disable that anyway.

I've also noticed under testing that the CPU core voltage for me is running roughly between 0.6v to 1.150v at an modest all core fixed 4Ghz OC.
So in my case I've set a default CPU core voltage of 1.2v.

But IF I was trying to OC all cores further, say up to 4.4Ghz I'd probably set that to 1.325v which I've read is the max safe recommendation.

After hours of tinkering and tweaking, here is my conclusion.
  • Dropping the voltage down hurts overall peak performance.
  • Fixing the frequency caps the single core performance to a lower level than peak boost will reach on auto.
So the take away is manual fixed ratio overclocking really is a pointless endeavor on the 3900X.
These processors are just designed to run optimally in a variable frequency and voltage mode.
So my recommendation is to just leave everything on auto, and let it sort out it's own OC.

Last edited:
Soldato
Noticed there was a F41b BIOS but it was quickly removed and then replaced with F41c for the K7 board, but looking on the Gigabyte forums while it does fix the m.2 problem, there's still some voltage issues. Overclocking doesn't seem to work on this BIOS as well.

Back
Top Bottom