• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4690k with 2070s @ 1440p

Soldato
Hi all,

I am in desperate need of an upgrade from my GTX 960 which had been working ok for me until I upgraded to a 1440p monitor last year. My spec is in my sig, will I have any issues if I purchase a 2070s? Main concern is CPU bottleneck and perhaps the mobo compatibility?

Many thanks,
fobose

Soldato
OP
Ah, did not know there was such a thing to check online! Thanks. It looks like there is some bottle necking with a 2070 non super so perhaps there will be quite a bit of a bottle neck with the super? Maybe a CPU upgrade is needed too :(

Soldato
Ah, did not know there was such a thing to check online! Thanks. It looks like there is some bottle necking with a 2070 non super so perhaps there will be quite a bit of a bottle neck with the super? Maybe a CPU upgrade is needed too :(
It seems to be on a game to game basis. Yes the cpu will be the weakest link and an upgrade won’t do you any harm but if the games you play can’t utilise more than four cores which is still ‘most’ games then it may be less of an issue.

Associate
Definitely depends on the games you play. Broadly speaking, there are quite a few now where it would be a large and noticable bottleneck. With fast RAM and a good overclock, it would hold up well in most games though, especially considering you're only at 60hz.

I think a stable 60fps should be fine in virtually all games bar one or two, and an upgrade to a cheap i7-4770 should iron out any <60fps minimum frame issues due to the extra threads if you want a little more life from it.

Soldato
Many thanks for all the replies :) I think I will just get one and see how I get on! I was also looking through the MM yesterday for a 4790k lol.
I wouldn't bother with that at this point in time personally, although depending on the cost and your budget. Ideally you want 6+ cores now moving forward. What you have should be fine for the moment but just look to upgrade the rest of the system fairly soon to a current gen CPU & mobo. You''l get improved gaming performance (FPS and/or smoothness) from a system upgrade when you can do that. AMD have just launched their latest CPU's and they usually drop their prices a while later so worth keeping an eye on. The just launched 3600X (6 core) is £239.99 here on OCUK and includes a cooler too.Various other options from AMD and also intel too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom