Fixing rust / better spraying

Soldato
I have rust on either side of my car around the convertible roof boot area
I am no stranger to the process of fixing this, rub it down, fill it, rub it down more and more with finer wet and dry etc etc. The next part of the process is the problem.
I have done this on old cheap cars and this car is not mega expensive, but Id like a good job.
I have found in the past that I get a completely solid line of paint and lacquer or a dusty effect where the lacquer doesn't match..

So my question is. Is there some equipment rather than crap Halford spray cans that I could use. (airbrush or something). A technique that I haven't use or simply is it cheap to get someone to spray professionally over my filling?

Any advice welcome.

p.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Should the lacquer be rubbed down and re lacquered... I am not really sure I want to attempt it, I know from the past this is a very hard thing to set right.

Do people spot spray or is it something thst would require a whole wing to be sprayed?

Soldato
OP
That corrosion looks a fair way past rubbing down and filling...

How so, its not much bigger than my thumb.
Maybe some perspective will help.

I can pop the convertible roof up to make it easier to get at the edges of panels, maybe even remove the seals as it looks like it's gone behind one of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
That corrosion looks a fair way past rubbing down and filling...
Got to agree with you 100%

It's come from behind the seal so however bad it looks on the outside it will be worse behind, and I'm pretty sure I can already see split metalwork there. I'd imagine there being quite a decent sized hole there by the time the rust has been fully removed. Just tickling the surface with sandpaper won't remove it, just knocking off the crusty bits and filling over it will omly hide it for a short while, it will soon come bubbling back through I'm afraid.

If you want a really decent finish then i would do the prep work first and get a professional to paint.

I'd rather go the other way and have the rust removed properly and put up with a mediocre DIY paint finish. No point paying someone to make it look nice and shiny when it might bubble back up in a few months.

Soldato
OP
Well I have decide to take it on. I can remove the seal and I don't believe the rust is as bad as you think. It's a few mm in length not a huge hole. The filler will be strong enough.

I will keep a few pictures of my progress.

Back
Top Bottom