Wimbledon 2019

Associate
I remember saying this a few years ago, but look at some of the classic 5-set men's matches in which the first two sets were won by the same player. Pretty sure there was such a Federer-Nadal Wimbledon final that fitted that.
2008 Wimbledon final, Nadal won the first 2 sets, then eventually went on to win the title in a 5 set thriller. It is regarded as one of the best ever finals, although I was hoping for a Federer win.

Associate
Congratulations to Halep. I didn't manage to watch the match, but after reading the match analysis, sounds like she thoroughly deserved the win. Amazing it was over so quickly, I totally wasn't expecting this result.

Soldato
I don't watch a lot of tennis these days but is Serena usually that mentally affected by missing shots?

She seemed to go into her own personal hell every time she didn't win a point!

Soldato
Maybe Serena has got used to players just rolling over for her, or posing no real threat. Now maybe she less capable and has faced some quality opponents who haven't just collapsed; maybe she just throws a tantrum like she did against Osaka, or shows signs of inner turmoil like in this match, when things don't go her way.

Soldato
Thank **** Halep won. Serena is unbearable at the best of times but the BBC's constant dawning over her somehow made me hate her even more than I thought possible.

56 minute final for the same prize money as the men is an absolute joke though. Equality isn't paying the same while doing a whole lot less.

Man of Honour
Thank **** Halep won. Serena is unbearable at the best of times but the BBC's constant dawning over her somehow made me hate her even more than I thought possible.

56 minute final for the same prize money as the men is an absolute joke though. Equality isn't paying the same while doing a whole lot less.

The women don’t even work as hard in the few sets that they actually play. So many times this tournament the women just haven’t even bothered to run for the ball. It’s a joke.

Soldato

I find it odd that they don't play best of five at grand slams, the same as the men do. Women run the same marathon, play the same 90 minutes in football matches, etc. Sure, they might do the marathon more slowly and cover less ground over 90 minutes in a football match, but they still complete the same basics as the men, so it baffles me as to why the female tennis players don't play best of five.

Soldato
Congratulations to Halep. I didn't manage to watch the match, but after reading the match analysis, sounds like she thoroughly deserved the win. Amazing it was over so quickly, I totally wasn't expecting this result.

She totally deserved to win completely focused completed determined and absolutely blew the opposition away.

Maybe Serena has got used to players just rolling over for her, or posing no real threat. Now maybe she less capable and has faced some quality opponents who haven't just collapsed; maybe she just throws a tantrum like she did against Osaka, or shows signs of inner turmoil like in this match, when things don't go her way.

Theres literally been no players of quality for years now to challenge her she's had a good run but looks like people are finally stepping up to the mark again

Just be thankful Gauff didn't get further or there'd be no end to it.

Can't say that. Misogynist, sexist, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom