Metal Detecting

Soldato
I reckon spending the money you would spend on the equipment on scratch cards instead would net a better return and save you looking like a wally

Soldato
Well I borrowed the detector, apparently it's a really good one also. So no cost. I spend half an hour today at a beach. Got signals all over the place but didn't spend much time digging. Try again though this week. It's quite exciting to see what you could find. I'm guessing rings/jewellery and coins would be the main thing.

Caporegime
Has anyone been blown up doing this as a hobby? Seems like finding unexploded shells, grenades, bullets etc is pretty common going by some YouTube vids.

Soldato
Does anyone know roughly what metals the dial settings represent?

The dial starts at 0 and 'all metals' to 5. The instruction manual only says the further to the right you put the dial the more undesirable metals such as iron will be ignored. Is there a more detailed answer. For example say at position 3 will gold or silver be detected or ignored.

Your main metals are iron, brass, nickel, copper, gold and silver, aluminium, lead, chrome etc.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone know roughly what metals the dial settings represent?

The dial starts at 0 and 'all metals' to 5. The instruction manual only says the further to the right you put the dial the more undesirable metals such as iron will be ignored. Is there a more detailed answer. For example say at position 3 will gold or silver be detected or ignored.

Your main metals are iron, brass, nickel, copper, gold and silver, aluminium, lead, chrome etc.

You have answered your own question....

Do we have to guess what detector you are using?

I should imagine 1 will be gold ect and 5 will be Iron ect

Soldato
You have answered your own question....

Do we have to guess what detector you are using?

I should imagine 1 will be gold ect and 5 will be Iron ect

Actually 0 is iron that's all I know. I guess I'll have to play around with known metals to work it out. Anyone got a spare gold ring?

Soldato
First haul of loot.

20190715-174753.jpg

Associate
If you have half an interest in local history then I think metal detecting is a great hobby. My dad does a lot of it and has found some fascinating things, some worth a decent amount each (around £80). My favorite has been an indian head penny which though not worth much, makes you wonder how it ended up in a farmers field in Lancashire.

If you're in it for the money then don't bother, but if it's just to get out the house and you do a bit of research into your finds then you'd probably have fun.

Man of Honour
I actually considered getting a detector recently as my boys would be interested un helping me out (for five minutes anyway). I’m quite into my history too, There’s a beach less than a mile away where D-Day landings were practiced under live fire and there’s a possibility of quite a few finds I would have thought..

Back
Top Bottom