Anyone else feel this way?

Soldato
Interesting thread. When im at work i crave the weekend but sometimes i want to do nothing all weekend to recharge. But i will get feelings as if i should be doing something, Friday nights especially.

I think its because from the age of 16-24-25 i was out most Fridays. Now i am 30 maybe once or every other month and im not inclined to get smashed like those days either, a few ponts in a nice environment does me good.

Soldato
I'm quite happy lounging whilst listening to an album, playing games, watching a film/series that the other half wouldn't want to watch or sitting outside with a beer admiring nature.
There's always some sort of chore to do though.

Soldato
Every post in this thread is painfully relatable! I'm good at writing to-do lists and even planning the steps/things needed to get tasks done. It's as much hobbies as it is household chores and life tasks. But when it comes to actually doing anything I'm just hard to get moving. Evenings I'm always just too exhausted and stuck to the sofa. Weekends are similar but labelled as "recovery", except 2 whole days of sofa and sleeping in isn't really recovery is it.

I'm relatively high achieving to be fair, worked hard to get a good job and I do work hard there. But it's much harder to get myself to work hard when I have the option of relaxing instead. I do quite enjoy just vegetating, sometimes not even with the TV on, just decompressing and letting my mind wander. But I need to balance it up with some productive times. Too many hobbies, too many unfinished projects and also letting personal fitness and house maintenance slip away as well. I think the typical 9am-5pm/5 days job isn't helping, I'm out 7.30am-7pm and commuting in London drains me.

Going 4 days a week would help me, but first I need to address the broken link in the chain (my brain) between making a plan, and acting:

Over time i built the habit of pushing everything i have to do to tomorrow, its just every day is tomorrow.

My new system is to do something immediately, no hesitation, no excuses. This applies to everything, not just chores. If you think X is a good idea do it immediately, forget about tomorrow.
I think this works well - another angle of it for me, is to do ONE thing at a time. With a list of 10 tasks for the weekend, some big, some small, some fun and some important, I get overwhelmed. But if I say "Look at the list and just do ONE thing" then I often get it done. Sometimes it's a 5 minute job but I can put it off for weeks otherwise.

Soldato
I don't know where the idea came from that we should always be busy. It isn't healthy to sit around and do nothing all day every day but equally I don't think it is to always be doing something. I think between work, chores, hobbies etc. it is easy to fall in to the today I need to be here at this time, there at that time to do x, y or z. Then only really getting away from things and relax when actually going on holiday once or twice a year. I have found for my mental health that some days it is good to have a lazy day. Not necessarily a day of doing nothing but certainly no jobs/chores and not to any specific schedule. A day of get up when I wake up and then take the day as it comes and whatever I feel like whenever I feel like.

Caporegime
Got too much to do on the garden to have a lazy day! Sometimes it's a relief to get back to work on Monday...

Esp like now when we've had no rain for a couple weeks... I'm watering 9-5 just to stop stuff dying left right and centre.

But it's nicer to be outdoors than stuck inside anyhow, and if I wasn't gardening I'd be wasting time... well, here, most likely :p

Soldato
Got too much to do on the garden to have a lazy day! Sometimes it's a relief to get back to work on Monday...

Esp like now when we've had no rain for a couple weeks... I'm watering 9-5 just to stop stuff dying left right and centre.

But it's nicer to be outdoors than stuck inside anyhow, and if I wasn't gardening I'd be wasting time... well, here, most likely :p

still cliff top walking 4 days a week but tbh only my newly planted stuff is needing water and ive rigged up some permanent lengths of hose pipe down the hedges , theres a massive amount of dew here also early am so that helps ,but this is my sort of gardening

IMG-20190702-115512.jpg

Caporegime
We have (for various reasons - don't ask) a garden that's at least 50% covered in plants in pots. Yeah, don't ask :p

Stuff in the ground is generally fine. But pots dry out incredibly quickly and it's a fire-fighting job just keeping everything nicely moist. But not too moist, because that also kills plants. Fussy buggers.

And our "lawn" is now roughly 2mx2m, because we kept shrinking it to have more plants (and more plants in pots).

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the op but re the meditation, does it work? Does it help to ‘settle’ the mind? I struggle with sleep, my mind is usually a buzz with all matter or guff. Even when I do sleep I’m often still tired the next day, docs have confirmed nothing physically wrong - I’ve been like this a far back as I can remember. Someone else made reference in something I read on insomnia ages ago about meditation being a great help but I’ve no clue where to start to look into it and when I mentioned it to a doctor they looked at me like I was of my head!

P.s. mods, not looking medical advice just a pointer in the direction of where to look into meditation.
Have you tried herbs? Bob Marley style, not Gordon Ramsey

Soldato
Bit of a vent.. personally I'm not a workaholic and admire in some ways those that are. However I also wish they understood there's more to life than work. I guess when you have a family etc. it's different but surely there's a way without having to work yourself to death.

+1 for meditation maybe it's not for everyone but you don't know until you don't try. For me a period of non meditation now is determintal , meditating regularly and constantly will shift your perception and consciousness to higher levels that can only be experienced not discussed to understand it all. Eventually that peace you feel can become a regular part of your life, rather than the constant moods, thoughts and desires that control most people and their lives and they don't even know it.

Off for 9 days starting tomorrow. Got loads to do, let's see how much I get done!

Does it involve buying car parts on the way to car events? ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I usually feel like what is the point of living. Working 40 hours through the week, going home to sleep then doing it all over again 5 days a week.

Caporegime
I usually feel like what is the point of living. Working 40 hours through the week, going home to sleep then doing it all over again 5 days a week.
That's why (imho) you've got to fill your weekends. Otherwise all you're doing is working.

The more I fill my weekends the happier I am about going back to work.

Although it helps that I mostly enjoy my job :)

Back
Top Bottom