• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 2060 Super, RX 5700XT or RTX 2070 ?

Associate
OP
I am planing to keep the new card for at least a year, as for Cyberpunk 2077, that game doesn't really tickle my interest :) I am more into getting to play the new Wolfenstein Youngblood and the new Call of Duty Modern Warfare when they are coming out.

Associate
It all boils down to ray tracing. Personally I know I'm gonna put hundreds of hours into CP2077 so for how much of a groundbreaking step RT GI is I would choose the 2070. The extra oomph of a 5700xt is pitiful compared to such a feature. Plus I'm willing to bet the next AC will have RT too so that's yet another reason for me.

There is no way in hell the 2070S is going to be able to use RTX with playable frame rates at resolutions anyone's actually going to use. Maybe at 1280x720 with settings dialled right back.

5700XT is basically a no brainer at this point, especially given that drivers are early and performance should go up quite a bit.

Plus, undervolting and overclocking have suggested enormous head room (boosting it above a 2080 in a lot of titles).

Soldato
There is no way in hell the 2070S is going to be able to use RTX with playable frame rates at resolutions anyone's actually going to use. Maybe at 1280x720 with settings dialled right back.

5700XT is basically a no brainer at this point, especially given that drivers are early and performance should go up quite a bit.

Plus, undervolting and overclocking have suggested enormous head room (boosting it above a 2080 in a lot of titles).

You've missed the 2070 (not even S) from the first page it seems.

Soldato

Guess you had not read Kitguru RTX 2070 SUPER review benchmarked Shadow of the Tomb Raider are very good at handled ray tracing almost as fast as stock RTX 2080.

1920X1080 DXR Ultra 80.9 fps
2560X1440 DXR Ultra 53.5 fps
3840X2160 DXR Ultra 27.2 fps

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...i-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x-trio-8gb-review/14/

RTX 2070 SUPER max OC would see it achieved playable 30 fps at 4K.

Found Candyland youtube video benchmarked DXR games Battlefield V and Shadow of the Tomb Raider on RTX 2060, RTX 2060 SUPER and RTX 2070 showed RTX 2060 SUPER matched RTX 2070 in ray tracing performance achieved 1080p at around 60 fps which is very playable.

Battlefield V 1920X1080 DXR Ultra

RTX 2060 37 fps
RTX 2060 SUPER 55 fps
RTX 2070 57 fps

Shadow of the Tomb Raider 1920X1080 DXR Ultra

RTX 2060 50 fps
RTX 2060 SUPER 56 fps
RTX 2070 58 fps

Turned down to 1280X720 with settings dialled right back will see RTX 2070 SUPER achieved ray tracing at 120 fps if some weirder people who claimed they found 60 fps absolutely unplayable will be happy with 120 fps.

Soldato
I need a new graphics card for my ITX machine after I sold my GTX 1660Ti. So I'm pretty much in need of a card now ;)
However I cannot decide what GPU chipset to go after.
RTX 2060 Super
RX 5700XT reference
RTX 2070 non-super

All 3 are almost the same price in my country.

What card would you choose and why ? I really like the brute performance of the RX 5700XT but I don't know if I'll give up on ray tracing.

I see you have RTX 2080 Ti.

Tough decision on RTX cards, RTX 2060 SUPER is almost same price as RTX 2070 with much the same performance and both cards also bundled 2 free games Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Control worth £60 will be your forever and both games could see DLCs in near future you can buy DLCs. if you want more ray tracing performance at either 1080p or 1440p, go for RTX 2070 SUPER which matched RTX 2080 performance. I wont and will never give up on ray tracing looked forward to play more ray tracing games Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Control, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Atomic Heart, Justice, Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2, DOOM: Eternal, Sword and Fairy 7, Watchdogs: Legion and.. Cyberpunk 2077! :)

RX 5700XT reference cooler is horrible hot and noisy so their free 3 months Xbox PC game pass is terrible, it has big problem that you don't own more than 100 games forever and also you CANT download and play DLCs or addons. If you completed some games in library during 3 months and wanted to play DLCs or use addons so you will need to buy games first then pay more for DLCs and addons. It a massive shame RX 5700XT cant play ray tracing games and also forget to mentioned that it cant do mining with current miners apps.

https://cryptoage.com/en/1706-amd-radeon-rx5700xt-the-first-real-tests-in-mining-cryptocurrency.html

Last edited:
Soldato
I see you have RTX 2080 Ti.

Tough decision on RTX cards, RTX 2060 SUPER is almost same price as RTX 2070 with much the same performance and both cards also bundled 2 free games Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Control worth £60 will be your forever and both games could see DLCs in near future you can buy DLCs. if you want more ray tracing performance at either 1080p or 1440p, go for RTX 2070 SUPER which matched RTX 2080 performance. I wont and will never give up on ray tracing looked forward to play more ray tracing games Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Control, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Atomic Heart, Justice, Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2, DOOM: Eternal, Sword and Fairy 7, Watchdogs: Legion and.. Cyberpunk 2077! :)

RX 5700XT reference cooler is horrible hot and noisy so their free 3 months Xbox PC game pass is terrible, it has big problem that you don't own more than 100 games forever and also you CANT download and play DLCs or addons. If you completed some games in library during 3 months and wanted to play DLCs or use addons so you will need to buy games first then pay more for DLCs and addons. It a massive shame RX 5700XT cant play ray tracing games and also forget to mentioned that it cant do mining with current miners apps.

https://cryptoage.com/en/1706-amd-radeon-rx5700xt-the-first-real-tests-in-mining-cryptocurrency.html

I'll just leave this here and its the same experience I am having with my vega 64 reference cooler so I can back this up 100%

Ray Tracing isn't ready yet the performance drop is so bad anything other than a 2080Ti is going to be a 30 fps slide show if you think Cyber Punk is going to run over 60fps on a 2080 and below at 1440p you in for a surprise.

What next add DLSS? Lol for a worse image downgrade.

You all fooling yourself nvidia have played you with RTX it's a rush job to sell the market fast. It's core not being used when doing no tracing is a joke.
Again if what I reading about AMDs Ray tracing it all makes perfect sense why they are waiting.

You being played.

Man of Honour
With the arrival of 2160p/120hz monitors this is what any game that uses Ray Tracing needs to be able to achieve.

Sadly my RTX cards can not get anywhere near meeting the above.

My RTX cards are the best I have ever owned for gaming but I can not see myself using them much for Ray Tracing as visually it does not add much to my gaming experience and hardware wise it is too demanding to get smooth high fps.

DLSS is not why I own a 2160p monitor so I will not be using that either. Another thing with DLSS when I tried it in SLI was the fps were all over the place compared to using a single card.

The above are just my personal opinion, other people will have an entirely different gaming experience and I wish them well and hope they enjoy using the new features.:)

Soldato
Out of the three I would go 5700XT just not in its current ‘blower’ guise. These cards aren’t selling for good reason.

Wait for AIB models and see how the price compares for the non jet engine version.

Associate

Would love to see links for this. Only seen 2 games where it outperforms the 2070S, but it gets trounced in the rest.

Caporegime
Out of the three I would go 5700XT just not in its current ‘blower’ guise. These cards aren’t selling for good reason.

Indeed. Very few people i know want blower coolers any more. custom cooled AIB versions should have been available from the start.

£390 for this card with a stock blower just isn't a very good deal.

Soldato
5700XT is the best option of the three.

With the low quality of RT just to get playable frame rates with turing, it is not worth buying a card for RT right niw. Wait for next gen for that, it is going to be much more capable.

Caporegime
I would wait and take note of how many 2070's and 2080's OCUK have in stock at silly prices that make no sense now the supers are out... ;)

Associate
Guess you had not read Kitguru RTX 2070 SUPER review benchmarked Shadow of the Tomb Raider are very good at handled ray tracing almost as fast as stock RTX 2080.

1920X1080 DXR Ultra 80.9 fps
2560X1440 DXR Ultra 53.5 fps
3840X2160 DXR Ultra 27.2 fps

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...i-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x-trio-8gb-review/14/

RTX 2070 SUPER max OC would see it achieved playable 30 fps at 4K.

Found Candyland youtube video benchmarked DXR games Battlefield V and Shadow of the Tomb Raider on RTX 2060, RTX 2060 SUPER and RTX 2070 showed RTX 2060 SUPER matched RTX 2070 in ray tracing performance achieved 1080p at around 60 fps which is very playable.

Battlefield V 1920X1080 DXR Ultra

RTX 2060 37 fps
RTX 2060 SUPER 55 fps
RTX 2070 57 fps

Shadow of the Tomb Raider 1920X1080 DXR Ultra

RTX 2060 50 fps
RTX 2060 SUPER 56 fps
RTX 2070 58 fps

Turned down to 1280X720 with settings dialled right back will see RTX 2070 SUPER achieved ray tracing at 120 fps if some weirder people who claimed they found 60 fps absolutely unplayable will be happy with 120 fps.

If you believe that it'll get those frame rates in CP2077, then I have a bridge to sell you. Apart from the massively higher graphical fidelity generally, and REDengine being a notorious performance hog, the RTX implementation looks way more ambitious.

Like the Witcher 3 was at the time, CP2077 will be absolutely rank with gimping and purposeful over-use of various effects to spur sales of NVIDIA's top SKU (2080Ti).

Also, how many people buying cards of this expense are still at 1920x1080, unless they're into esports titles (in which case they won't care about RT and will probably buy AMD anyway due to RAL). Do you really also consider sub 30FPS in an action game acceptable (4K or any res)?

Soldato
I'll just leave this here and its the same experience I am having with my vega 64 reference cooler so I can back this up 100%

Ray Tracing isn't ready yet the performance drop is so bad anything other than a 2080Ti is going to be a 30 fps slide show if you think Cyber Punk is going to run over 60fps on a 2080 and below at 1440p you in for a surprise.

You all fooling yourself nvidia have played you with RTX it's a rush job to sell the market fast. It's core not being used when doing no tracing is a joke.
Again if what I reading about AMDs Ray tracing it all makes perfect sense why they are waiting.

You being played.

The next consoles are going to have raytracing and are based on Navi which means AMD is probably working on a solution which will run on current Navi cards like the 5700XT. From what is rumoured, the RDNA tech is not even fully implemented in the drivers yet. Most of the driver is still using a GCN base.

Associate
OP
Thank you for all the info an suggestions... It surely doens't make the decision easier ! AMD really threw a wrench in the "nvidia wheel" making it a more tough decision at least for me to decide which way to go.

My heart says go for RX5700XT
My reasons says play it safe with RTX 2060 Super.

I haven't had an AMD card in my machines since 2008. - I had a R9 390 briefly but that barely counts...

Soldato
The next consoles are going to have raytracing and are based on Navi which means AMD is probably working on a solution which will run on current Navi cards like the 5700XT. From what is rumoured, the RDNA tech is not even fully implemented in the drivers yet. Most of the driver is still using a GCN base.

Navi 10,12,14 etc based hardware lack AMD's hardware RT extensions. That first comes to desktops with Navi 20. The consoles are sort of an intermediate between RDNA found in Navi 10,12,14 and RDNA2 found in Navi 20. From what i hear it mostly revolves around the RT hardware and a few other bits from RDNA 2, but they aren't as advanced as RDNA 2 Navi 20.

There is still a fair amount of dedicated hardware, or at least extended functionality in the hardware for AMD's ray tracing. It is also apparently much more efficient and performant than NVidia's implementation.

We are likely to see the consoles having RT performance that far exceeds a 2080Ti.
Navi 20/21 (5900XT etc) are more performant yet again.

Soldato

Ray Tracing been ready since November 2018.

I remembered people been said how bad ray tracing was on Shadow of the Tomb Raider at sub 60 fps 1080p (30 to 45 fps) on RTX 2080 Ti back in August 2018. Amazed 11 months later it no longer at sub 60 fps 1080p so now it is at 104.7 fps, up to 250% performance increase. Impressive!

Edit: I noticed I made a mistake after realised back in August 2018 that Shadow of the Tomb Raider is not ran on RTX 2080 but actually on RTX 2080 Ti at sub 60 fps on 1080p!!!

https://www.techspot.com/community/...intain-60fps-on-a-geforce-rtx-2080-ti.248588/

Wow damn impressive so I re-edited it.

Maybe you will be in for a shock when CyberPunk 2077 released. Would see similar performance increase like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, a few months ago RTX Titan run Cyberpunk 2077 at 30 fps 1080p and up to 250% performance increase in April 2020.

Nvidia not did a good job with Battlefield V, did quite good job with both Metro Exodus and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Very impressed with Justice, Reflections and Atomic Hearts RTX Tech Demos ray tracing and DLSS performance and image quality.

It seemed you and I completely forget about Anthem! I did not bought Anthem, not many people here played it so I checked youtube and am very impressed with DLSS quality as good as native 4K with up to 50% performance boost. Wished Nvidia going back to Battlefield V, Metro Exodus and Shadow of the Tomb Raider to retraining DLSS based on model that trained Anthem which finally fixed DLSS blurriness issue. Nvidia probably will do that later in the year or closer to games last final patches.

Managed found RTX 2080 that can do DLSS at 4K 60 fps. Impressive!

Will be interesting to see Monster Hunt World DLSS performance and quality matched Athem or better in 2 days or it will appear in RTX 2080 SUPER reviews.

You all fooling yourself nvidia have played you with RTX it's a rush job to sell the market fast.

Nope Nvidia not fooled and played at all of RTX owners, I am very proud to experienced ray tracing games first a year or 2 ahead before Radeon owners can enjoyed ray tracing but at what performance? Could be slower than Volta Titan V in AMD first generation ray tracing while next generation Ampere will have 2nd generation ray tracing with more RT cores or integrated it into CUDA cores that would see 2 to 4 times faster than Turing just like Turing ray tracing was around 3 to 4 times faster than Volta.

Very surprised to heard news about new £50 note.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/news/2019/july/50-pound-banknote-character-announcement

Look forward to have Nvidia Turing £50 notes after 2021. :D

It's core not being used when doing no tracing is a joke.

Made no difference whether it's core not being used when doing no HBCC, RIS, or Multimedia Engine on AMD GPUs and RT and Tensor on Nvidia GPUs. It not a joke.

I been reading and very skeptical about select lighting effects for real time gaming, accelerate certain DXR techniques for lighting and ray tracing for cloud. I don't like the sound of AMD plan. David Wang said they are waiting until ray tracing supported all GPUs from top to bottom. it made no sense why they are waiting so look like they now changed plan with hardware ray tracing will appear in high end Navi 20 first. We will see how well it will handle ray tracing games.

You being played.

No I not being played by Nvidia, again I am very proud to see Nvidia achieved real time ray tracing games and with Turing architecture and DLSS finally done right with Anthem.

Unfortunately AMD played you for quite some time with HBM, HBM2, HBCC, Radeon VII, 16GB VRAM, massive 1TB memory bandwidth and now RIS and killed poor Crossfire. You cant compared RIS with DLSS, Hardware Unboxed should do same thing igorsLAB did compared RIS with Freestyle. Both AMD RIS and Nvidia Freestyle have about 2% performance loss while DLSS can gain up to 50% performance boost with same image quality as native 4K as you saw on Anthem DLSS videos.

You being jebaited by AMD marketing conmen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom