Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Associate
Back from my little expedition and it was great fun. Hard work though. Started in Cookham and paddled to Runnymede the first day with a couple of stops. Then Runnymede to home just past Hampton Court yesterday with only a couple of brief pitstops. Around 40 miles or so. We adjusted our start point as realised day one was going to be overloaded. Glad we did as we finished paddling at about 19.30 on Sat.

It was plenty. My SUP kept up well with the kayaks but no doubt I had to work harder. Benefited by being on a 14 foot SUP vs 12 foot kayaks as well. I couldn't get away with lazy touring stroke though like the kayakers and had to paddle harder.

The locks took up a fair bit of time mostly with portage although a couple of lock keepers let me in on the board.

Lucky with the weather as only had a couple of sections with a headwind and may be an hour of rain, the rest was pretty sunny. The only dunkings were a couple of the kayakers spazzing out on docks.

Feel like I got to know my new board much better and very grateful for its glide. It would have been hellish on my inflatable. Already thinking what the next tour might be.

Well done sounds like you had a great time.

Cheers all

Soldato
I used supco for my Allwater and they were very helpful. Agree with the above, there are a gazillion 'brands' selling cheap chinese inflatables which you will outgrow very quickly. If it's £300 and on ebay avoid, it will be a floppy drag. Get something from a solid brand like fanatic, JP, starboard, Red etc. Red is great but look more widely than that. My inflatable is a fanatic fly air premium and going strong into its third year. It gets windsurfed as well.

What kind of SUP appeals to you longer term? You may want to get something a bit more focused like touring orientated or a bit more surf orientated for example that is still friendly enough to learn on. Need to be able to windsurf or not is another consideration.

When i spoke to SUP co, they suggested the above Red board and suggested the second hand market is strong which keeps resale values high which should help ease any losses should i not use it.

I think a main benefit is to just relax and help build my core for running. I like the idea of just pottering on canals for a couple hours in the evening during summer months rather than turning it into a full blown hobby with groups etc. It's around an hour to get to the nearest sea so i'm mostly ruling that out as i don't think there'll be many times i'll want to commit >4/5hours at a time to it.

Ultimately though i understand that it's going to be very different doing it in 30C sunshine in Corfu to doing it in England and would like to know if it's right for me here or whether it's just something i do as a holiday activity a few times a year (my parents live in Spain and i'd like to make more effort to visit them more often)

Soldato
Let me know if you do and I can get some better details for you.

Are you able to send over any details? Do they do SUP aswell or just Canoeing? Struggled to find much on their website.

Another thing i need to fix/work on. Is that a few years ago during a bench press session, something in my left elbow went weird. Now it still resurfaces every now and then in the gym but only on "pushing" movements. It's find on anything like a row etc. However after 30 mins on the SUP on holiday i felt it again. It's a weird pain as it goes pretty much instantly, but would need to get it fixed before tackling something. I've seen physios about it before with no success and it's a bit erratic about when it kicks in.

Associate
OP
Are you able to send over any details? Do they do SUP aswell or just Canoeing? Struggled to find much on their website.

Another thing i need to fix/work on. Is that a few years ago during a bench press session, something in my left elbow went weird. Now it still resurfaces every now and then in the gym but only on "pushing" movements. It's find on anything like a row etc. However after 30 mins on the SUP on holiday i felt it again. It's a weird pain as it goes pretty much instantly, but would need to get it fixed before tackling something. I've seen physios about it before with no success and it's a bit erratic about when it kicks in.

Guy I've paddled with a few times said best to use Facebook and search for "Euxton Canoe Club" and chat on there. He said they have 1 club SUP that is never used but, someone who can instruct on it.

Good luck, seems a lovely small club from what he has told me. We are both part of Liverpool Canoe Club that has a huge SUP contingent and 500 members.

Man of Honour
When i spoke to SUP co, they suggested the above Red board and suggested the second hand market is strong which keeps resale values high which should help ease any losses should i not use it.

I think a main benefit is to just relax and help build my core for running. I like the idea of just pottering on canals for a couple hours in the evening during summer months rather than turning it into a full blown hobby with groups etc. It's around an hour to get to the nearest sea so i'm mostly ruling that out as i don't think there'll be many times i'll want to commit >4/5hours at a time to it.

Ultimately though i understand that it's going to be very different doing it in 30C sunshine in Corfu to doing it in England and would like to know if it's right for me here or whether it's just something i do as a holiday activity a few times a year (my parents live in Spain and i'd like to make more effort to visit them more often)

I wouldn't be too concerned about temps. I mostly paddle on the thames and it is a long season where the water is warm enough if you fall in without a wetsuit.

Reason I was asking about what you may do is the typical go to entry level recreational boards, like the Red one you have been recommended, are great, they offer great stability for learning and do everything OK (e.g. pottering about, surfing, even windsurfing) but they are very jack of all trades and pretty slow. Similar to your plans I am mostly on flat indland, slow moving water. For my first board I got the fanatic equivalent of the Red board you are looking at and actually on reflection feel I would have been better of with a 12ft 6 very stable tourer since it would have more glide and therefore be more satisfying for longer, covering ground on flat water. If you were to chose a wide, stable recreational tourer you would lose very little in terms of stability for learning but gain a good deal in terms of glide/speed.

Soldato
Excellent. That could be something to look at then. Obviously i'm going mainly on price here but is this the kind of thing i'm after? They're a little shorter than you mention but seem to have a bit of extra width (31" vs 29") which i thought would help with balance.

https://www.thesupco.com/sup-boards-c1/fanatic-pure-air-11ft6-touring-2019-p260

https://www.thesupco.com/sup-boards-c1/jobe-duna-11ft6ins-x-31ins-2019-p406

The Jobe actually mentions "up to 115kg" which works (i'm fat at around 108kg). Some other boards don't have a limit and i'm conscious i'd be near the limits, especially for inflatable boards. One i saw at Decathlon when initially browsing was "up to 80kg"

How are these in open calm waters? If i went inflatable i'd be tempted to take it on holiday with me. My parents live near here in Spain and my mums mentioned a few paddle boarders out there. Presumably the board would be ok in mild open water?

el-portet-beach-moraira-teulada-260nw-1289024353.jpg

Man of Honour
they would be great on calm open water

That extra foot would give you that bit more glide. Even better with a 12ft6

That is fanatics more basic construction. Likely to be less stiff than their premium but still should be a tone better than Chinese stuff.

I'm about to take off on a plane so switching off but will have a look around later for you

Soldato
Great I'd appreciate it. My plan was to not actually buy anything yet but i'm at that annoying point that the more i look, the more i want to buy something and dive in.

From some reading it suggested that a 6" thick board would be good for heavier (fat) people like me and the added stability would offset the downsides of a thicker board. I quite liked the look of this one, The ability to swap it into a Kayak for pottering also feels like a handy feature.

https://bluefinsupboards.com/produc...ion-kit-ultimate-isup-kayak-bundle-108-12-15/

Or to get carried away (do i need a Carbon paddle?)
https://bluefinsupboards.com/product/bluefin-sup-cruise-carbon-stand-up-inflatable-paddle-board/

Associate
Great I'd appreciate it. My plan was to not actually buy anything yet but i'm at that annoying point that the more i look, the more i want to buy something and dive in.

From some reading it suggested that a 6" thick board would be good for heavier (fat) people like me and the added stability would offset the downsides of a thicker board. I quite liked the look of this one, The ability to swap it into a Kayak for pottering also feels like a handy feature.

https://bluefinsupboards.com/produc...ion-kit-ultimate-isup-kayak-bundle-108-12-15/

Or to get carried away (do i need a Carbon paddle?)
https://bluefinsupboards.com/product/bluefin-sup-cruise-carbon-stand-up-inflatable-paddle-board/

Don't consider getting an inflatable which is less than 6 inches thick, the board will be more rigid my Naish Glide is 14 foot long x30inches wide x6 inches thick, pumped up to 19 psi the board is very stiff with very little flex at all & I use it mainly on the north sea I am getting around 11feet per paddle stroke & I weigh 12 stone.

Paddle wise carbon will make a difference lightweight & the shaft has more flex than aluminium paddle, also go for a 2 or 3 piece adjustable, that way you can adjust the length of the paddle on the fly depending on the water conditions & thickness of board you are using, also easier to transport too.

If you need any more info give me a shout, been paddleboarding for 9 years if I can help you out I will ;)

Cheers all

Soldato
Interesting on the 6" thick comment. Most i seem to see (like the Red Co one) around more around the 4"-5" mark.

I think that Bluefin one is looking good at the moment, most likely the standard version as not sure i see the value of an extra 30% for a carbon paddle and rails. I can always add the paddle at a later point if i feel it's worth it. Although looking at the Carbon one, the pump seems to be different too which i imagine would make things quicker.

Associate
Interesting on the 6" thick comment. Most i seem to see (like the Red Co one) around more around the 4"-5" mark.

I think that Bluefin one is looking good at the moment, most likely the standard version as not sure i see the value of an extra 30% for a carbon paddle and rails. I can always add the paddle at a later point if i feel it's worth it. Although looking at the Carbon one, the pump seems to be different too which i imagine would make things quicker.

On the longer red inflatables there are 2 horizontal battens which are inserted into pockets along the rails of the board to give added stiffness as the boards are thinner.

I would suggest the double chamber Bluefin which would be safer in the case of a puncture, you would still have something that still floats and can get you back home, having said that not had any issues at all on my 2 single chamber inflatables but I do always wear a personal floatation device as I am on my own most of the time when paddling down on the east coast.

Cheers all

Soldato
Yeah, think the Bluefin is winning. I've just called them up and it sounds like they might be releasing some refurbed 2018 boards at a hefty discount soon so will be keeping an eye on those. The girl i spoke to suggested there wasn't much change from that to the 2019 model so could get something for a good price and give me a good "in"

Associate
Yeah, think the Bluefin is winning. I've just called them up and it sounds like they might be releasing some refurbed 2018 boards at a hefty discount soon so will be keeping an eye on those. The girl i spoke to suggested there wasn't much change from that to the 2019 model so could get something for a good price and give me a good "in"

Sounds good, really pleased for you!

Cheers all

Soldato
Thanks

I've found a place local to me which does a session on a Saturday on a local reservoir. Going to give that a crack in the hope that

a - It shows me if i'll still enjoy it, even if it's not sunny and warm
b - They might have inflatable boards or something more normal compared to the "training" board i used in Corfu and give me a better idea of what would suit me and whether i can stand up on one that's not designed for idiots!

What i did see last night whilst watching a video on Youtube was a suggestion for paddle movement. When i did it i found the board turned on each stroke, so that gives me something to work on to ensure i just go "straight"

Associate
Thanks

I've found a place local to me which does a session on a Saturday on a local reservoir. Going to give that a crack in the hope that

a - It shows me if i'll still enjoy it, even if it's not sunny and warm
b - They might have inflatable boards or something more normal compared to the "training" board i used in Corfu and give me a better idea of what would suit me and whether i can stand up on one that's not designed for idiots!

What i did see last night whilst watching a video on Youtube was a suggestion for paddle movement. When i did it i found the board turned on each stroke, so that gives me something to work on to ensure i just go "straight"

Try to keep your paddle as close as possible to the edge/rail of the board, when then paddle is level with your ankle pull it out of the water then rinse and repeat.

Also apply a small amount of weight to the your opposite foot (if your paddle is in the water on your right apply a small amount of weight to your left foot), that should help it go more in a straight line.

The longer the board the straighter it will go, but saying that its harder to make quicker turns with then, which is why people do step back turns.

Hope this rambling helps.

Cheers all

Man of Honour
always worth spending a bit more on a decent paddle. Think how many stokes you are going to do over its life time and divide the cost of upgrade between them!

Soldato
Went to the local reservoir today. Was £10 for an hour which was very reasonable.

They had Red Boards and a decent choice of sizes.

First I tried a 10”8 and 34” wide one. It was stable and I didn’t feel I struggled like I’d expected. It felt a little sluggish though.

Went back and grabbed the 10’6 32” wide board. Much preferred this. Felt I was working harder to stay balanced but that’ll get easier in time I figure. It felt much better in the water though.

They did have 12’ and 13’ Voyager boards. I tried the 12’ one and it felt a lot bigger. Was funny as you see it on paper written down and don’t think they’ll be much different but then you see them side by side and it was huge. I found it harder to manoeuvre and turn and whilst it might be better for canals where you’re just going straight I much preferred the 10’6 board for general use and am wondering if I’d prefer it or quickly get bored and want the 12’ one!

Might wait and see what comes out in the refurbished store and how the prices stack up. I’m unlikely to be going on huge trips on one or getting “too” into the sport.

Man of Honour
Sounds like a good day. a 10ft board will feel a lot more manoeuvrable but once you get used to different strokes and step back turns you can very easily turn a 12ft6 or 14 foot board. My 10ft feels really slow compared to my 14ft. Not just length it's also construction and width playing into it. Don't get me wrong I've had a few years of great use out of the shorter board so it's not like you would hate it.

I'm on holiday in Mallorca at the mo and had a good paddle on the sea yesterday. Paddled against the wind yesterday for a couple of miles looking forward to downwinding home only to have the wind change direction to mean I was in a headwind on the way back too!

Soldato
Yes. I played around with a few different ways to paddle. I found I was always turning a bit on each stroke. Then found that I was putting the paddle in at an angle. Once I started having the paddle more upright and using more of my body/shoulders in the stroke I went much straighter.

Also tried turning the board with the paddle held into the water and using my body to turn the board. Feet were still very much stiff though, didn’t have the confidence to move on the board. That doesn’t explain it well but I found it turned the board on the spot more or less. Prior to that I was just paddling on one side a lot and ended up with the turning circle of a bus!

There’s a guy in Southport who does 90min one to one training lessons. I think when I do pick up a board I’ll head over as I think I’ll get lots of benefit from being taught and who’ll correct bad habits early on.

Back
Top Bottom