**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
So after some advice, my Sony xz premium has couple screen defects due to this consdiering replacing it.

However I don't wish to go into a contract, due to this considering a Chinese phone! I'm lost as to what's good, dodgy etc and what I should be wary of.

Ive seen a mi 8 lite on offer which looks nice, do these phones get updates the same and use Google store the same etc?

Just seen this too, which I've heard a lot about, are redmi the best Chinese company to go for?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07Q7SZMJK

Xiaomi are I think the 3rd biggest phone maker in china and they make some great phones. As long as you get a phone from a decent seller with the global rom on it it will have all the Google services installed and yes they do get updates. That redmi phone is made by Xiaomi, I just got a mate a redmi note 7 and he loves it.

Soldato
OK, so the Mi 9 I bought in China now has google play installed etc. So, is there now anypoint in installing the global ROM? I know you have unlock the boot loader, but then you can't lock it again else you brick the phone. Is it the case that with the bootloader unlocked some apps wont work e.g. banking, google pay etc? Am I missing anything if I just run with the China ROM?

Cheers

Soldato
It’s going to be cheaper on prime day download the mi app and Monday it’s gonna be £168 mate

The 128GB version was discounted cheaper but was still cheaper on Amazon so I just got it through there and with Prime got much quicker delivery which is a bonus.

I got the 128gb version, screen protectors, case & a 256GB micro sd for £254 which i'm pretty happy about, most of which will be here on Wednesday!

So after some advice, my Sony xz premium has couple screen defects due to this consdiering replacing it.

However I don't wish to go into a contract, due to this considering a Chinese phone! I'm lost as to what's good, dodgy etc and what I should be wary of.

Ive seen a mi 8 lite on offer which looks nice, do these phones get updates the same and use Google store the same etc?

Just seen this too, which I've heard a lot about, are redmi the best Chinese company to go for?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07Q7SZMJK

If you can afford it/want to, i'd say to get the Note 7 64gb version for another £35 as it is much better all round

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Red...i+note+7+64gb&qid=1563202740&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Comparison:
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9513&idPhone2=9498

Soldato
OK, so the Mi 9 I bought in China now has google play installed etc. So, is there now anypoint in installing the global ROM? I know you have unlock the boot loader, but then you can't lock it again else you brick the phone. Is it the case that with the bootloader unlocked some apps wont work e.g. banking, google pay etc? Am I missing anything if I just run with the China ROM?

Cheers
From what I remember you're not missing out on much (I think the odd obscure Mi app was in Chinese) and you will also get official updates sooner being on the Chinese ROM. I know a few people in your situation and they've stuck with the Chinese ROM. Plus unlocking the bootloader will invalidate some banking apps etc unless your using Magisk (which is what I do)

Soldato
I got the 128gb version, screen protectors, case & a 256GB micro sd for £254 which i'm pretty happy about, most of which will be here on Wednesday!

Quoting myself there because I am sending my Note 7 back. The battery is awful on it, even with being very conservative with it I am still having to charge it multiple times ad day. My nearly 3 year old previous phone was better.

Not to pick a new phone, again!

I'm looking at Huawei again:

Mate 20 looks good but is double the price

P30 looks really good other than the 3340mAh battery :(

Has anyone got any other recommendations?

Last edited:
Quoting myself there because I am sending my Note 7 back. The battery is awful on it, even with being very conservative with it I am still having to charge it multiple times ad day. My nearly 3 year old previous phone was better.

Not to pick a new phone, again!

I'm looking at Huawei again:

Mate 20 looks good but is double the price

P30 looks really good other than the 3340mAh battery :(

Has anyone got any other recommendations?

Id get the Mate 20 Pro or Mate 20 X, i have the X and its an amazing phone for the price, the camera is stupidly good.

Soldato
I needed a phone for my mum's birthday to replace her old Galaxy S4. Picked up a new Xiaomi Redmi 7A for the princely sum of £71 inc P&P, it took 8 days to arrive. The basic specs.

Android 9 Pie
5.45"
720x1440 pixels
13MP
3GB RAM
Snapdragon 439
4000mAh

The battery life is amazing as 4000mAh goes really far in a phone of this size and spec.

1z2pnbd.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
From what I remember you're not missing out on much (I think the odd obscure Mi app was in Chinese) and you will also get official updates sooner being on the Chinese ROM. I know a few people in your situation and they've stuck with the Chinese ROM. Plus unlocking the bootloader will invalidate some banking apps etc unless your using Magisk (which is what I do)

Do you have a problems with band 20 (800MHz) missing from the China device?

Soldato
Thats odd mate, what size battery does it have? Might just be a duff battery.

I did think that.

I thought the battery had massively improved until I realised that I have had it in battery saving mode for a few days :o

Id get the Mate 20 Pro or Mate 20 X, i have the X and its an amazing phone for the price, the camera is stupidly good.

The Mate 20 would be the upper end of my budget really as i'm saving to move away for a while. Although, I have found the Pro for £449 but it doesn annoy me that the Pro is the only one out of the bunch withouth a headphone jack.

You can pick up a Mate 20 PRO for £430 at the moment (check out hotukdeals), which is an excellent price if it's within your budget.

All gone but I have found them new for £449 or the X for £499.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom