• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Soldato
That would be the most moronic move ever. What with bios updates and driver/software tweaks anyone can see that ryzen 3000 will catch 9900k in gaming.

probably not, the gap has closed no doubt tho.

But in games like lightning returns I be surprised if ryzen matches or beats intel.

I have a friend who got a 3700X and am waiting for him to build it and fire up the game so I can analyse it. :)

I see lightning returns as the ultimate test for the games I often play.

I see it like this.

Value for money AMD providing you dont buy X570 which is a money pit chipset.
Multitasking performance, AMD
Content creation AMD
Gaming whilst streaming on one rig AMD
Gaming on thread heavy games AMD/Intel tied
Gaming on low threaded, single threaded games Intel

I think both cpu's are fast enough now to not worry about generic windows eerformance, boot times, notepad etc.

Dont know about linux compilers etc.

Virtual servers, I would say AMD is the clear winner, they should be nailing that market now.

Man of Honour

But in games like lightning returns I be surprised if ryzen matches or beats intel.

I have a friend who got a 3700X and am waiting for him to build it and fire up the game so I can analyse it. :)

I see it like this.

Content creation AMD

I think both cpu's are fast enough now to not worry about generic windows eerformance, boot times, notepad etc.

Virtual servers, I would say AMD is the clear winner, they should be nailing that market now.
Agree with this. Although single threaded performance is still slightly stronger on Intel, most CPU's are fast enough nowadays. So I don't see their advantage being something worth worrying about. The only advantage I can see now for Intel in my house is if I wanted to build a hackintosh (as you really need an Intel board for compatibility). For everything else it's a case of just buy whatever you can find the cheapest, which will usually mean AMD.

Permabanned

I see it like this.

Content creation AMD

Ryzen 3000 CPUs are currently useless for virtualistion, linux vms will not boot... cant use ryzen master or PBO if virtualisation is enabled in bios.

TrM

TrM

Associate
There won’t be cuts because amd was t able to take the gaming crown

Ofc gaming performance is the only thing that ever sells pc cpu’s. :(

When amd have intel beat in nearly every other area. Intel won’t drop there price because there intel not because of gaming performance. Intel have the brand name world wide.

More prebuilt systems more laptops gets sold then custom parts worldwide that’s what intel still have over amd and until amd takes a major market share intel can charge what they want.

Sorry but intel being gaming king might sell the intel cpu to gamers but in no way will it reflect the overall price.

Associate
Ryzen 3000 CPUs are currently useless for virtualistion, linux vms will not boot... cant use ryzen master or PBO if virtualisation is enabled in bios.

Wouldn't say they're useless. I'm using VMs with my ryzen 3900x. Linux is certainly running, as is Windows, vmware has issues with windows 10 1903 not ryzen. PBO I haven't used yet, but Ryzen master is working when virtualisation is on for me.

Soldato
Ofc gaming performance is the only thing that ever sells pc cpu’s. :(

When amd have intel beat in nearly every other area. Intel won’t drop there price because there intel not because of gaming performance. Intel have the brand name world wide.

More prebuilt systems more laptops gets sold then custom parts worldwide that’s what intel still have over amd and until amd takes a major market share intel can charge what they want.

Sorry but intel being gaming king might sell the intel cpu to gamers but in no way will it reflect the overall price.

When Intel announced the 9900k what did they call it? Not "great for work" or "great for synthetics" or "the best multiformat/multimedia processor" - no they said "the fastest gaming cpu"
That's what they sell it on.

As per Gibbo's own comments - 9900k sales remain strong. Those buying Ryzen 3000 chips weren't going to buy Intel anyway, they are mostly either existing AMD owners or people with really old systems waiting for the cheap thing (see ryzen 3600)

Associate
As per Gibbo's own comments - 9900k sales remain strong. Those buying Ryzen 3000 chips weren't going to buy Intel anyway, they are mostly either existing AMD owners or people with really old systems waiting for the cheap thing (see ryzen 3600)

That’s not true, I have an intel cpu not too old and now considering ryzen. It’s not an easy choice. Yes 9900k is the best gaming cpu but not by much although it is significantly more expensive than 3700X. It’s not an easy choice it doesn’t matter if you’re a current amd or intel user. IMO I will only buy intel if they lower their prices.
The 9900K sales are ok but AMD sales are off the charts right now, those are all people who won’t upgrade for a couple of years now.

TrM

TrM

Associate
When Intel announced the 9900k what did they call it? Not "great for work" or "great for synthetics" or "the best multiformat/multimedia processor" - no they said "the fastest gaming cpu"

That’s the point though intel have a lot of marketing for i9900k yea they do use gamers but the stuff we got at work was all about the cores and threads fastest desktop cpu for x program and y program not just gamers if the gaming headline was the only one they used intel marketing team are terrible

Gibbo point also makes my point people like yourself have fallen for Intel’s marketing and using 1080p gaming as the defining factor to buy intel great for you I’m glad you like intel But in no way is intel the only choice and gamers and custom pc parts makes up for a lot less then there prebuilt systems for shops and business.

But we’re not here to just talk about gaming this thread is about price cuts and I’ve explained why intel don’t have to or want to cut prices is because amd haven’t taken there main market away from them it’s that simple And that is not gaming !

Soldato

I was in for a 9900K leading up to launch but then the price happened, it was unprecedented so I skipped it. Now AMD are out with their latest CPU's and their current flagship is £20 cheaper then a launch 9900K. Now we know the high end CPU's are around the £500 mark I have no choice but to pay it if I want the high end. AMD got my money simply because they released last.

TrM

TrM

Associate
That’s not true, I have an intel cpu not too old and now considering ryzen. It’s not an easy choice. Yes 9900k is the best gaming cpu but not by much although it is significantly more expensive than 3700X. It’s not an easy choice it doesn’t matter if you’re a current amd or intel user. IMO I will only buy intel if they lower their prices.
The 9900K sales are ok but AMD sales are off the charts right now, those are all people who won’t upgrade for a couple of years now.

The 9900k is overpriced now but let’s be honest here when intel bring out 10th gen well say the same about amd being over priced and traditionally amd do lower prices intel do not whilst they have in some pleases this time it’s a first in a long time.

But also intel of the leaks are to be true some nice price increases coming then and I do wonder were intel will price there 10 core cpu at i9 prices now at 500 or go for amd 16 core at 750

TrM

TrM

Associate
I was in for a 9900K leading up to launch but then the price happened, it was unprecedented so I skipped it. Now AMD are out with their latest CPU's and their current flagship is £20 cheaper then a launch 9900K. Now we know the high end CPU's are around the £500 mark I have no choice but to pay it if I want the high end. AMD got my money simply because they released last.

Curent top cpu is 479.99 don’t foget amd have a release details for a 750 dollar cpu skates for 2 months time that whilst 3900X is top atm we allready know of another price increase

Associate
The 9900k is overpriced now but let’s be honest here when intel bring out 10th gen well say the same about amd being over priced and traditionally amd do lower prices intel do not whilst they have in some pleases this time it’s a first in a long time.

But also intel of the leaks are to be true some nice price increases coming then and I do wonder were intel will price there 10 core cpu at i9 prices now at 500 or go for amd 16 core at 750
That’s true amd is benefiting from the last release dynamic but still the sales are impressive. I don’t know why maybe amd got their marketing very right this time and given intel calendar, this 10th gen won’t show up until 2020.

Soldato
Agree with this. Although single threaded performance is still slightly stronger on Intel, most CPU's are fast enough nowadays. So I don't see their advantage being something worth worrying about. The only advantage I can see now for Intel in my house is if I wanted to build a hackintosh (as you really need an Intel board for compatibility). For everything else it's a case of just buy whatever you can find the cheapest, which will usually mean AMD.
Is single threaded performance all down to drivers and bios's though? Could we see this gap close within the next few months as AMD patch bugs and bring about performance improvements?

Soldato
Intel don’t have to do anything. They really are a huge company. Intel will continue to dominate the CPU market as they do with the graphics market.

Associate
It's not an outright win in gaming though. I have 3 rigs which includes a 8700k, Ryzen 2600X and a 2600k.

The 2600k is getting upgraded to a 3600X next month and a 5700XT from a RX580.

I did consider the Ryzen 3700X and 3900X in place of my 8700K but they lose to the 8700k overclocked in games.

I'm not giving Intel any more money for the 9900k so I will wait. I have had my 8700k since December 2017.

In power efficiency and multi threaded workloads, Ryzen wipes the floor with Intel but I mainly use my rigs for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom