Setting up Pi-hole

Associate
If the DNS stopped working I'd first ping the pihole to ensure it's up and then use nslookup or whatever to interrogate it. How's the pihole getting its IP? Static or dynamic? Is there any chance your router is dishing out the same IP to something else?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I had a funny issue after my rpi had it's power cut, when it came back up the pi itself wasn't resolving any DNS.

In the end I added an entry into /etc/resolv.conf so that the pi had some DNS resolution, then ran a pihole -r to repair and it all kicked back into life.

Soldato
Anyone had success using the likes of NordVPN + Pihole? I'm mainly interested in on-the-go VPN + ad-blocking.
I had oVPN running on my phone which connects me back to my PiHole at home, but not sure how using NordVPN complicates things.

Soldato
Im confused and need help!

I'm using the stock Plusnet hub with a locked default DNS, so DHCP off, and using the PiHole for DHCP server.

Everything seems to work OK, but I can't seem to open a specific port for my torrent client.

Port forwarding was done in the router by configuring the PC to static IP and opening that port, but because the DHCP is unused in the router, I can't see the PC MAC address to add it in the port forward settings.

Does that make sense? Can anyone advise?

Soldato
Im confused and need help!

I'm using the stock Plusnet hub with a locked default DNS, so DHCP off, and using the PiHole for DHCP server.

Everything seems to work OK, but I can't seem to open a specific port for my torrent client.

Port forwarding was done in the router by configuring the PC to static IP and opening that port, but because the DHCP is unused in the router, I can't see the PC MAC address to add it in the port forward settings.

Does that make sense? Can anyone advise?
You can still set static IP on the pihole, do that then make sure upnp isenabled on your router and it should take care of it's self

Associate
I've got the PlusNet router and used piHole to assign a fixed IP but, rather than using upnp, I created a port forwarding rule in the router's Firewall section.

Soldato
I'm having all sorts of problems with this Plusnet hub. Yesterday I had 0 devices shown in the network tab, so couldn't assign anything for the port forwarding.

I've now got the PC showing in the router, have assigned it to the firewall rule, port is still closed :(

Associate
The router doesn't need to see the device in order to create the rule, just put the IP address in of the PC, which of course you've given a static IP to either directly or via the DHCP server on your PiHole.

Are you using an existing Application in the router or creating your own? What port number are you hoping to use?

Commissario
If you want to increase the number of domains and clients shown on the dashboard, these two commands will increase them to 20 and 40 respectively.

Code:
sudo sed -i 's/summaryRaw\&topItems/summaryRaw\&topItems=20/g' /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/js/index.js

Code:
sudo sed -i 's/summaryRaw\&getQuerySources\&topClientsBlocked/summaryRaw\&getQuerySources=40\&topClientsBlocked=40 /g' /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/js/index.js

Associate
I just setup pihole yesterday and everything is working fine but I have a few questions if any one can help please:

1. "broadband.bt.com" is showing up as the domain name for all ipv6 IP addresses (ipv4 IP addresses show the domain name just fine).
My setup consists of the BT Smart HUB 2 with DHCP disabled and using my rpi as the DHCP server. Does this have anything to do with the stateful/stateless mode in the router ipv6 settings?

w817IHc.png

2. 17000 hits in 24 hours seems a bit high for this Microsoft address, is that normal?
51fey1f.png

HO16aF5.png

Associate
Quite an interesting thing with my network installation (pihole related..ish)
I seem to have picked up 4 to 5Mb/s extra download speed now i have moved from my old dual core gen 7 microserver to a proper dl580 dual xeon.
Doesnt surprise me much that the old one was causing problems as it was slow running pfsense and pihole flat out but whats more interesting is that the new setup is faster than the stock plusnet (and prior, vodaphone) routers.
Ok i now have a vigor 130 as well but even so, there was still some performance left on the table.
Think i am maxing my connection out now, at a paltry 42Mb/s - not great but the max i think these lines can handle.

Back
Top Bottom