• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade now or wait?

Associate
Yo yo yo,

I'm currently running a pair of 980tis in SLI and gaming at 1440p, unfortunately with the dwindling amount of support for SLI I'm looking at upgrading to a single powerful card.

My question is do I sell the 980tis whilst I can still get a few quid for them and bite the bullet for a 2080ti, it's expensive but it should last a good few years, or wait to see what else is coming through by the end of the year?

Another idea I had was to get a pair of 2070 Super in SLI, just in case something in the industry changes with NVLink, but I'll be no better off if it doesn't!

Soldato
My question is do I sell the 980tis whilst I can still get a few quid for them and bite the bullet for a 2080ti,

Go for it!

I did this 9 months ago. Okay, I had a pair of Maxwell Titan X cards - glorified 980 Tis with 12 GB VRAM. The difference is great! There's nothing out there that beats the 2080 Ti save the Titan RTX and AMD's new GPUs are no threat, so we're not going to see a new Nvidia GPU this year.

Soldato
DirectX12 basically made it job of game developers to dig extra performance from multiple GPUs.
So you can guess how common that will be outside some biggest/pribed games.

And its the most expensive cards which lose biggest amount of value in couple years.
Only way value has stayed so well in recent years was lack of competition and competition.

That should be changing now.
AMD's Navis do really well for reasonable price and high end card should be coming during winter.
Also Intel is going to join discrete GPU game next year and they've got bank account to make big splash.
So despite of ridiculous price 2080 Ti won't be staying as high end that well and wouldn't see it sensible for 2560x1440.

Soldato
Why would you buy something that you say yourself is expensive? I'm always 100% happy with pc parts I purchase, performance as well as price. I respect anyone who buys a 2080ti and says they're happy with the price. But to buy one while your opinion is how expensive it is seems odd. Choose a budget that you're 100% happy with and see if there's an upgrade worth buying. If there's isn't, then wait.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As it stands a 2080ti costs roughly the same as my 980ti setup did nearly 5 years ago, I've kept it longer as it was expensive but I was happy to spend the money because I knew it'd run everything I wanted at decent speeds and with everything looking lovely. I would like to upgrade but whatever I get next has to be better in all areas and really has to last 4/5 years. If there's likely to be something new out within the next 12 months that'll either be better bang for buck than the 2080ti or as a result means that they'll drop the prices, I'll happily wait for that.

Associate
No easy choices or upgrade path for the 980Ti imho, even if your ok with the high cost of a 2080Ti the chances of it lasting 4yrs+ seem fairly slim. In your position I would sell the 980Tis and get a used 1080Ti as a stop gap and then take a look at the GPU options a year from now. I doubt we will see any tangible product updates until Navi 20 and Cyberpunk release

Soldato
No easy choices or upgrade path for the 980Ti imho, even if your ok with the high cost of a 2080Ti the chances of it lasting 4yrs+ seem fairly slim.

I disagree. There may be a new Nvidia GPU late next year but so what? You don't have to upgrade every time. And there may not be a new Nvidia GPU next year.

Yeah, I would get a used custom 1080ti and wait it out.

That will give about the same performance as the OP's 980 Tis in SLI.

You can always wait. Or you can put up and have fun now. If the OP has the money, the 2080 Ti is the way to go. I'm speaking from experience here.

Soldato
i don’t judge performance by just fps, overall experience with a 1080ti will be far superior than 980ti in SLi.

I researched it at the time and decided otherwise. Of course, that was over 2 years ago. Did you have a pair of 980 Ti cards? Or a pair of Maxwell Titan X cards? I did. And I'm now having oodles of fun playing games at 4K at > 60 Hz with my RTX 2080 Ti.

Associate
Could you not sell the 980ti's and get a 2070 Super for similar money? Then you haven't spent out but have a decent powered modern card as a stop gap, until the next gen come out. Then sell the 2070.

Soldato
Would the 1080ti not lose its value more than the newer cards in a year or so?

due to the inability of nvidia to deliver a
decent 20x0 series card a nice used 1080ti custom won’t lose much if you buy once the 2080S has launched fully.

Associate
OP
due to the inability of nvidia to deliver a
decent 20x0 series card a nice used 1080ti custom won’t lose much if you buy once the 2080S has launched fully.

I think it will hinge on the 2080 Super, if it could undercut the 2080ti much like the 980ti did with the Titan X then I'd probably, maybe, possibly go with one of them. Could save me 5/600 quid to go towards my next PC.

Associate
I think it will hinge on the 2080 Super, if it could undercut the 2080ti much like the 980ti did with the Titan X then I'd probably, maybe, possibly go with one of them. Could save me 5/600 quid to go towards my next PC.

Yes, I would go with this. Save yourself £300, and keep it for future upgrade :)

Back
Top Bottom