Premier League Sack Race 2019/20

Soldato
Ok guys, which of the twenty PL managers will see the axe first? Both Lampard and Solskjaer will be under enormous pressure from from the opening game not to mention the newly promoted managers.

Place your bets!

Soldato
If Bruce goes to Newcastle, I can't see them doing well at all. Plus I imagine he'll have the fans on his back with his turgid football. Got to be up there.

Lampard might get a bit of a grace period given his standing at Chelski, but yeah, OGS definintely going to be under a lot of pressure from the off.

I'm going for Newcastle to be in the bottom three early on, and Bruce gone around Christmas...

Associate
1. Steve Bruce is the standout if he gets the job, with the caveat he may get a stay of execution dependant on how much money Ashley would have to fork out to bin him.

2. Also Dean Smith. You'd think the transformation at Villa would put him in a safe position, but there is no owner to manager loyalty nowadays and Villa have spent a lot of money. If they start badly and are under early pressure like Fulham last season, I could see a panic sacking.

Graham Potter would be my other.

Caporegime
I’m gonna throw Emery in there. There’s rumours abound from Arsenal that they’re not happy with his performance so far and are questioning if he’s the right man for the job. A bad start for Arsenal could well see his job in jeopardy.

Soldato
emery gone before the January transfer window
solksjaer gone after 10 games

Lampard has a get out of jail free card for this season due to Chelseas transfer lock down, so they need to give him at least 2 seasons to see what he does in the market when they are back in.

Soldato
Emery might be first, if we don't start winning away from home. I could see Ljungberg continuing his rise at the club. We don't really have the budget to get a genuine world class manager in.

Soldato
Wonder what odds for Poch walking away are, his press conference last night was strange to say the least, his demeanor looked like someone who is completely fed up.

My favourite for the 1st sacking has to be Bruce, gotta feeling the fans aren't gonna take to him at all (he's also a very uninspiring appointment in the 1st place) and as such the discontent at St James's Park will probably force him out.

Man of Honour
I've gotta say I reckon there could be a bunch of managers leaving this season. Let's assume the top 2 are safe but you've then got in the top 4:
-Pochettino a bit moody and could see being tempted by a move abroad
-Lampard personally I consider safe BUT you never know with Abramovich, he is not afraid to pull the trigger and their lack of an elite goalscorer could hurt them
-Ole has a weight of expectation on his shoulders and whilst popular with fans could get found out this season
-Emery needs to find a way of rebuilding, the defence looks weak and he doesn't seem to have figured out how to get the best of his midfield yet

Looking at the other end of the table basically any team under threat of relegation and the knives come out, one thing I've noticed this decade is that even managers who have done a great job getting their team promoted can get the boot if the board feels they have taken the team as far as they can, or they just want a fresh face to try and give a short term boost to get them over the line.

Newcastle is a car crash I need say no more about and tough shoes to fill given Rafa's popularity with fans.
There's a few other teams that could get sucked into it as well.

If you were to turn the question on its head and ask who is untouchable you've basically got:
-Pep
-Klopp
-Nuno
-Howe
-Dyche
Probably about it? But even then who knows if Bournemouth or Burnley got sucked into a relegation scrap. Or alternatively sackings elsewhere opening up opportunities for some of those (I've been saying for a couple of years that Howe needs a stepping stone job, something like an Everton for a couple of years and then a big job, but perhaps he could get lucky and get in at say Spurs directly).

Soldato
If you were to turn the question on its head and ask who is untouchable you've basically got:
-Pep
-Klopp
-Nuno
-Howe
-Dyche
Probably about it?

Add Chris Wilder to that list, the Sheffield United owners know that if they sacked him if we got relegated, never mind close to relegation and the fans will hound the owners out.

Chris is a Blades fan, a ball boy at the Lane from a young age, eventually broke into the first team and has taken them from L1 champions to the PL in three seasons. It’s easy to say a manager is loved by the fans when he’s doing well but when the manager is a fan of the same club, lives and drinks locally, he’s become somewhat of a Blades Legend.

The only way he’ll be sacked is if we get new owners and he’s on a bad run.

Man of Honour
Fair enough about the links to the club, but the rise from L1 to PL isn't enough. Nigel Adkins did it in two seasons, not three, was 15th in the table iirc (certainly a few points above the relegation zone) and STILL got sacked by Southampton.

To be fair in hindsight it was probably the correct move given what Pocchetino did after, but at the time I thought it was utterly ludicrous.

Caporegime
For me definitely Bruce, Ole depending on how Utd start and maybe fat Frank at Chelsea.

Emery could be one as well but then looking at what he’s spent this summer already, I don’t think his job is quite on the line. Just needs to sort that defence out really.

Back
Top Bottom