Slug repellant

Soldato
My wife uses some eco friendly pellets that won't poison wild life and is safe to put onto vegetables. She's also started getting a regular delivery every couple of months of nematodes. You put them in a watering can and water the soil, then when the slugs dig themselves into the soil during the day, the nematodes eat them.

We've also had hedgehogs in the garden, and bird feeders attract the birds that also eat slugs.

Soldato
You could try egg shells as they apparently don't like slithering over the sharp edges. Smash a load up and sprinkle over the soil at the base of the plants. the other benefit is it'll break down eventually and put calcium into the soil.

Associate
OP
Never heard of nematodes but will defiantly look into them for next season.

I read about egg shells, but I would need a heck of a lot to scatter around my pots etc so they are out the question at the moment.

I couldn't wait for the slug pellets I bought off eBay to arrive so i went down b&q and got their own branded pellets which are wildlife friendly, I've scattered them on the ground all around my pots & containers and a light covering over my large raised bed and touch wood, so far I have only had the odd slug and snail so far, so hopefully that will be the end of the army of slugs and snails that was obliterating everything in their path!

Next season I will be on top of pest control, and hopefully try out some of the more eco friendly options.

Cheers all.

Soldato
Every time i use some eggs I just rinse the shells and leave them to dry then crumble them onto my plants. You don't really need to save a load up and do it all at once.

Associate
OP
Cheers for your replies all, its all very helpful.
I have been checking every night, when it gets dark with a torch and I am still only seeing the odd one, so I think the pellets have worked!

Caporegime
I've been doing pellets for 3 years now yet more slugs than ever.

I'm wondering had I not been using them would there be an army out there?

Every other week I see at least 10 dead ones.

Soldato
I removed 180 slugs in 2 days from my house walls believe it or not! It was like a scene out of Aliens when the walls suddenly start moving "They're coming outta the god damn walls!". I have stone walls so I think they eat the green stuff off the stone. I just kept going out with a torch and a bean tin and flicking them into the tin and the pouring salt over. A few weeks later the walls were full again and I gave up.

Back
Top Bottom