Gaming PC upgrade advice

Soldato
Tested two B450's, one B350 and one X470, with an R5 3600, and half way through testing the 3900X might not get it finished this week. All of them worked fine with dual rank 32GB (2x16GB) at 3600MHz, and none of the kit I tested were rated to 3600MHz.

The IMC's in the Ryzen 3xxx are silly easy to work with, its like Intel just with a socket that can be used more than once. :D
But aren't specs overrated anyway?
I remember Q9550 I had having 1.25VID for some who knows what twisted reason...
Because I run it fair 30% overclocked at 1.2V.
And now Intel clearly thinks honest TDP specs aren't needed.

While BIOSes might not otherwise be fully mature (even for X570) at least there aren't memory problems.
I mean didn't first Zen"1" BIOSes have problems in doing much anything other than JEDEC speed with anything else than B-die?

No, I have about seven different types of RAM, although I did spend way more time messing with the E-Die micron that I did with they Hynix or Samsung modules. I've got a some 8GB and 4GB's still to test, including 4x4GB, and 4x8GB, I'm nearly done with the mixed sets up to 4x 16GB (64GB).
Did you make any kind table of speeds achieved with various kits?
Though not really sure if anyone would have any use for 4x4GB kit information...

Soldato
Did you make any kind table of speeds achieved with various kits?
Though not really sure if anyone would have any use for 4x4GB kit information...

Busy doing it, but it is in the side presently as I have other obligations that come first.

As for 4x4GB, I need to cover all the bases as have to have proof positive that any systems designed with 8GB (2x4GB), will be able to take an upgrade to 16GB with dropping speed/performance or worse still cause instability for the end user. My testing will be on going for several weeks, but with the summer holidays coming up covering absences means less tinkering time. :(

Soldato
No, I have about seven different types of RAM, although I did spend way more time messing with the E-Die micron that I did with they Hynix or Samsung modules. I've got a some 8GB and 4GB's still to test, including 4x4GB, and 4x8GB, I'm nearly done with the mixed sets up to 4x 16GB (64GB).
Jesus, you'll be able to write the definitive bible on Ryzen memory compatibility/configuration/capability by the time you've finished.

I need to cover all the bases
Will you be covering all chipsets eventually - x570 seems conspicuous by its absence - and will you have to rinse and repeat with each AGESA update, even if you have established quantitative/substantive data on existing release? (don't feel you have to answer if it's a PITA.)

You have interesting side projects to your job - i have to deliberately go off piste to get my hands dirty (not in computing - my interest is an indirect byproduct. IT guys like/loathe me in equal amounts) and really enjoy the chances when they come along. I envy the 'tinkering' your job still allows you - best of luck with the refining process and will be interesting to see if you get any movement above 101MHz using the BCLK - seems odd that it's giving you no room for manoeuvre. Wonder if it's atypical? - /goes off to Google...

Soldato
Jesus, you'll be able to write the definitive bible on Ryzen memory compatibility/configuration/capability by the time you've finished.

Ha, no way, there will be people out there with much more data than I'll have. Not to mention a great deal of my testing will also be at normal speeds, on non-standard brands, like Innodisk and Apacer who have completely controlled/fixed BOMs for there DIMM's

You have interesting side projects to your job - i have to deliberately go off piste to get my hands dirty (not in computing - my interest is an indirect byproduct. IT guys like/loathe me in equal amounts) and really enjoy the chances when they come along. I envy the 'tinkering' your job still allows you - best of luck with the refining process and will be interesting to see if you get any movement above 101MHz using the BCLK - seems odd that it's giving you no room for manoeuvre. Wonder if it's atypical? - /goes off to Google...

I work in I.T. design/engineering for products and projects for the most part, but if I get some quiet time I get to try the non-stock items like consumer boards, and RAM and new products like Zen2 CPU's. It is actually the first time since Zen launched that a design I am doing will contain an AMD processor other than an embedded CPU, or Threadripper CPU, so this data will actually prove itself useful.

Will you be covering all chipsets eventually - x570 seems conspicuous by its absence - and will you have to rinse and repeat with each AGESA update, even if you have established quantitative/substantive data on existing release? (don't feel you have to answer if it's a PITA.)

X570 is not currently on my radar, but X499 will be. As for the BIOS updates, I only need to look at the data again if we actually used any of the products in a final build, which seems unlikely for the boards I'm using except maybe the ASrock Rack board.

Soldato
Tested two B450's, one B350 and one X470, with an R5 3600, and half way through testing the 3900X might not get it finished this week. All of them worked fine with dual rank 32GB (2x16GB) at 3600MHz, and none of the kit I tested were rated to 3600MHz. Some were not fully plug and play, as I had to set the voltage and some timings manually to ensure there were not set too aggressively.

The IMC's in the Ryzen 3xxx are silly easy to work with, its like Intel just with a socket that can be used more than once. :D

ease of x570 entry I guess. Plug and play regardless of samsung B-die, micron E-die etc . AMD will have to carry on with their aggressive profit seeking and cap RAM speed on the B550 like intels B/H chip sets . specially if X570 is home grown , board vendors are paying them and not someone else = more money in the bank . Would suck for us consumers but win win for AMD and need very scent to attack nvidia and intel as the same time with R&D funds

ah new thread ripper boards ... if i get a time in October will drop some hints but looks unlikely :(

Sell a couple of Ducky keyboards and you'll be kitted out :p

When i do jump - still think it will be 3700X, as originally planned, if the 3600/3600X comparison is anything to go by. The 3600 is just fantastic value!

they coming with me to the afterlife ! normal kids and run around with hardware but not these boards !!! lol

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies guys you've all given me a lot to think over :D

@Plec - As for my monitor you basically anticipated what i was thinking. My monitor is old so deff in need of an upgrade on that, think i'll be going with something similar to the build you posted and then look to invest about £100-200 in a new monitor. Was reading that the iiyama G2530HSU-B1 was a decent option but not sure if anyone has any other recommendations?

I can see the RX5700XT is about £100 more than the Vega 56 but would i be getting a lot more for my money for the extra £100? Or am i overloading on the graphics card compared to the rest of the build??

Soldato
@Plec - As for my monitor you basically anticipated what i was thinking. My monitor is old so deff in need of an upgrade on that, think i'll be going with something similar to the build you posted and then look to invest about £100-200 in a new monitor. Was reading that the iiyama G2530HSU-B1 was a decent option but not sure if anyone has any other recommendations?

AT 1080p the Vega 56 will be more than enough card to give you consistently high FPS and stay within your budget - allowing for the bonus £100 you had spare if needed.

If the PC will be predominantly used for gaming, i would consider pairing the card with a 144HZ Freesysnc panel for a smoother/superior experience - @orbitalwalsh is more up do date with gaming panels.

Some examples:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

EDIT: There's the C24G1 which is a VA panel 144Hz Freesync - you may want to look at reviews and is ~£180 (VA gives better colour reproduction but can suffer from blurring so imprortant to read review).

TA - main drawback is colour, but again reviews help differentiate between the good and the bad

IPS the ideal mix - but outside your budget if you opt for 144HZ.

Below is random YouTube clip showing V56 tested with a 2600 @ 1080p (and other resolutions - so be sure your logging the right res/FPS.)

Last edited:
Associate
I've got a good deal for the Ballistix Elite 3600 cl16, better go for a x470 pro(so another 50-60 for a wifi card) or a gaming pro carbon ac that is more cheap than x470??
If I choose the b450 I could use the 80 bucks for a better monitor or gpu or cpu and and in the worst case i could always bring the ram to 3466 and decrease the timings a little, although I would prefer to run the ram at the stock frequency...

Soldato
I've got a good deal for the Ballistix Elite 3600 cl16, better go for a x470 pro(so another 50-60 for a wifi card) or a gaming pro carbon ac that is more cheap than x470??
If I choose the b450 I could use the 80 bucks for a better monitor or gpu or cpu and and in the worst case i could always bring the ram to 3466 and decrease the timings a little, although I would prefer to run the ram at the stock frequency...

Want stock speed, flagship x470 (as PCB layer is higher ) or x570.
X570 should be plug and play

Back
Top Bottom