• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
Built an R5 3600 system today and it's showing this problem too. As soon as the NVMe SSD is under load, WHEA errors crop up. Benchmarking the drive with CrystalDiskMark generates around one WHEA error per minute.

Soldato
After a 3 day build (on and off) got my 3900x in an Auros Master running.

Boy do these chips runs hot! 44ish idle but 75 under load. Full custom loop with a water temp of 25C.

Associate
Quote:
Just to ensure I'm looking at this right, you guys are seeing the errors in the Kernel-WHEA folder of the event viewer?

I have 0 events logged, yet sfc also found uncorrectable corruption...

Windows logs then system. I have 450 errors and corruption

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Soldato
Reading that thread on Reddit or looks like people on Intel systems are having the same issues. Potentially it might be m.2 slots that are NVME only on Windows 1903.

Associate
Looks like the delay in delivering my 3900X/RAM might have some benefits after all. Hopefully this is something that can fixed with a BIOS/Windows update depending on where the fault lays.

Associate
This bug is probably explaining why I am getting wattman resets on my radeon 7

@djbully I heard you had problems with your Radeon 7 since you upgraded to a 3900X if true what went wrong?

Soldato
Out of curiosity, what are temps on Powersave powerplan?
Does the cpu even know how to do low power idle?
I'm using Ryzen Balanced and have never seen CPU voltage below 1.4 V in Ryzen Master. HWInfo reports it as low as 0.925 V sometimes but apparently that can't be trusted...

Soldato
Reading that Reddit thread on the SSD issues:

EDIT: Seems Intel SSDs are also affected. It's perhaps probable that all data storage devices that interface via PCI-E are affected.
EDIT2: There are reports that "putting an NVMe SSD in an m.2 slot that supports both PCIe and SATA (even if you're running in PCIe mode) eliminates the issue."
EDIT3: A Windows 10 bug from July 10th could also be the culprit: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...cannow-cant-fix-corrupted-files-after-update/

It might a Windows 10 update bug too.

Associate
I'm using Ryzen Balanced and have never seen CPU voltage below 1.4 V in Ryzen Master. HWInfo reports it as low as 0.925 V sometimes but apparently that can't be trusted...
Yes, it is pretty clear the monitoring software can't be trusted.
Power from wall and motherboard cpu temp sensor can. They will show what is actually going on long term without those crazy instant 1ms boost jumps.

Associate
I still haven't figured out PBO and overclocking on my 3900x, but got my ram running happy at 3600C16. Been waiting for better guides and updated BIOS (currently on AGESA 1.0.0.3AB) and monitoring tools, all a bit confusing at the moment. Ryzen master seems to be the only reliable monitoring tool that shows the true core states.

With PBO the highest I've seen my 3900x boost is ~4.3Ghz and all cores loaded seems to sit at ~4.1Ghz. Ryzen master shows it is down-clocking and sleeping cores when idle, using ryzen balanced power plan. Load temps are 65-70 degrees, idle seems to be all over the place 45-60 degrees. This is just on air cooling, reckon I've got some headroom so far as temps are concerned. Load CPU volts around 1.35-1.375 and idle is 1.40-1.48. Almost looks like it runs better under load....

Seems the preferred route is an all core overclock to about 4.3Ghz, does this still down clock / sleep cores when idle? Would like to see single cores hitting 4.6Ghz+ is this possible by tweaking the PBO settings, maybe need to up the power limits? What about IF overclocking, does this offer greater performance gains? Not sure how to overclock Infinity Fabric think I can probably get my ram up to 3800C17 if IF clock go 1:1 at 1900.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom