Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
I liked the TLJ but in general I think Star Wars is pretty average and I just enjoy them for what they are and not go into absurd nerdrages because the story I've been building up in my head for 30 years isn't strictly adhered to.

They would have been better waiting for 30 years more and waiting for the angry, emotionally invested fans to pass on so they dont make films in which they had no chance from day one of making the old fans happy.

Best way to measure the success of the new films is, are they generating a new generation of fans? They absolutely are and the kids go mad for it (cue"well my child much prefers Empire fnarrrrr) so they've succeeded despite what the old fans think.

I'm an older fan but personally I think the original trio are limited, Luke is a wimp and that the prequels barring Phantom are damn good films. I accept that all of the above makes me a heathen to any other star wars fan though :p:D

Agree with this, I kind of think of movies like this as being a set of events I'm just spectating. It's happened and you're just finding out what happened. Sure it would have been cool if X or Y had happened instead, or made more sense or whatever, but it is what is is (much like life, things don't always work out how you expected)...

However I totally disagree about your statement that the prequels are good apart from Phantom... if any of the three are "the bad one" it's undoubtedly Clones - way too much boring politics and the less said about the *shudder* "love scenes" the better!!!

Soldato
Agree with this, I kind of think of movies like this as being a set of events I'm just spectating. It's happened and you're just finding out what happened. Sure it would have been cool if X or Y had happened instead, or made more sense or whatever, but it is what is is (much like life, things don't always work out how you expected)...

However I totally disagree about your statement that the prequels are good apart from Phantom... if any of the three are "the bad one" it's undoubtedly Clones - way too much boring politics and the less said about the *shudder* "love scenes" the better!!!

Oh don't get me wrong there are issues with Clones and Sith (for me it's the "make Anakin evil by asking him 3 times" scenes) but I just thoroughly enjoyed seeing big battles and loads of lightsaber fights :p

Man of Honour
Oh don't get me wrong there are issues with Clones and Sith (for me it's the "make Anakin evil by asking him 3 times" scenes) but I just thoroughly enjoyed seeing big battles and loads of lightsaber fights :p

The clue is in the name really, Star WARS. We have seen very little in the way of epic battles in the new trilogy - I could forgive this partly if the writing didn't suck, but here we are.

I never thought I would view the prequels (well, 1 and 2) positively. Bring back George! At least the guy had a vision.

Caporegime
I liked the TLJ but in general I think Star Wars is pretty average and I just enjoy them for what they are and not go into absurd nerdrages because the story I've been building up in my head for 30 years isn't strictly adhered to.

They would have been better waiting for 30 years more and waiting for the angry, emotionally invested fans to pass on so they dont make films in which they had no chance from day one of making the old fans happy.

I'm an older fan but personally I think the original trio are limited, Luke is a wimp and that the prequels barring Phantom are damn good films. I accept that all of the above makes me a heathen to any other star wars fan though :p:D

*Reads that guff then cringes* :p:D

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Starwars is dead to me, its all about the MCU.

(Pains me to say that being 7 when the first movie came out in the 70s)

Soldato
Honestly, the only thing I'm excited about any more is the upcoming finale to The Clone Wars. The new trilogy is dead to me. I have zero interest in paying for a cinema ticket to watch Episode 9.
I may watch The Mandolorian if it gets good reviews (from honest people, not Disney shills) but I'm not holding my breath. Resistance just looks terrible and, as a recent Youtube video has pointed out, the quality of the animation has really declined from TCW-> Rebels -> Resistance.

Soldato
The only thing that excites me about Star Wars at the moment is the Galaxy's Edge addition to Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando.

Of course I will watch episode 9.....the primary purpose being however to bring this trilogy to a conclusion.

Man of Honour
The only thing that excites me about Star Wars at the moment is the Galaxy's Edge addition to Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando.

Of course I will watch episode 9.....the primary purpose being however to bring this trilogy to a conclusion.

Hopefully we get some satisfying closure. We can hope... :(

Soldato
Doubt it after Johnson has sabotaged the entire story. Now Abrams will just invent random crap and loads of lens flairs and hope it sticks.

Don't forget multiple highly populated planets in a system.
Maybe he'll throw in some 'red matter'.
A bit of time travel, and spock can save it all before a star goes supernova.

or Han wakes up after a bad dream and uses a condom that day.

Permabanned
Was poking round the Disney shop in Middleborough yesterday - basically zero star wars merchandise. This film killed the franchise. The older generations hated it, the younger generations don't care and have moved on to better franchises.

Caporegime
If you say so.

We'll find out in December if Star Wars still has legs.

Younger people are more invested in the MCU, but that's had 20+ movies in the last 10 years. They've grown up with it, that is their own Star Wars.

Man of Honour
If you say so.

We'll find out in December if Star Wars still has legs.

Younger people are more invested in the MCU, but that's had 20+ movies in the last 10 years. They've grown up with it, that is their own Star Wars.

I think a lot hangs on the next movie - atleast my sentiments and that of most people I talk to. Some of the more die-hard long time Starwars fans basically the new movies are dead to them now and won't bother watching/changing their mind unless the next one gets talked about favourably. Those more casually into it seem to be hoping TLJ was a blip.

Caporegime
I consider myself a big Star wars fan.

I've watched the other 7 films probably.... originals, about 50 times each.
25 times each, prequels (i'm odd i really like the clone wars period)
Force awakes 3 times, but skip bits already.
Rogue one 3 times
Solo- once at the cinema
TLJ once in the cinema and half of it on a plane flight but got bored.
I think the new films have to try too hard and they are as said, up against some of the biggest, most successful, franchises in history.

Soldato
Disney just need to scrap the current story arc and give the franchise to someone else to come up with a new story that's actually true to the original ethos. Unless that happens (unlikely) I won't be watching any more star wars films.

I did fear the worst when I heard Disney had the rights, but they've made a bigger mess of it than I could possibly have imagined. I have only watched each one once and the only one I'd even consider watching again is rogue one.

Back
Top Bottom