LG C8 Black uniformity

Associate
Hi
I recently got an LG C8 and when playing very dark scenes I have noticed that there is some vertical band of lighter black (always in the same place) going down the screen. Sort of looks like light bleed you get on LED screens but in a inch wide band running top to bottom. I know OLED do not always have perfect black uniformity but assume I should not be noticing during avg watching?

Also does anyone know if there an easy way of just switching the screen to black to prevent burn in when going to get a drink and things like that without tuning off complety?

Thank you

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately, banding is pretty common on OLEDs. For the price you're paying, it shouldn't be, but it is what it is. If it has banding, depending on how bad it is, it will be visible when watching darker content. If you want to have a good look at it, in a very dark room, use a 5% grey scale slide. You can find grey scale videos on youtube if you want to just use the TV app, just pause it on the right slide.

Soldato
Hi
I recently got an LG C8 and when playing very dark scenes I have noticed that there is some vertical band of lighter black (always in the same place) going down the screen. Sort of looks like light bleed you get on LED screens but in a inch wide band running top to bottom. I know OLED do not always have perfect black uniformity but assume I should not be noticing during avg watching?

Also dies anyone know if there an easy way of just switching the screen to black to prevent burn in when going to get a drink and things like that without tuning off complety?

Thank you
That is called banding, all TV's have it to some extent, lazy and cheap manufacturing techniques are to blame.
Check a 5% grey image on youtube and see how bad it is.

For the burn in question, don't worry, leaving the TV on the same screen for awhile isn't going to do anything.
Burn in only happens after many many many hours of the same BRIGHT image on the screen.
Newer OLED's have anti-burn in tech built in.
Your TV has an inbuilt screensaver regardless.

Soldato
Is it 55 or 65 inch?

From what I've read vertical banding is common on 65+inch OLEDs.

My 55 inch c9 is totally uniform after 150hours of use

nqdeelfw.nzj.png

But on your TV you may see this:

https://imgur.com/a/nrmds99

Associate
OP
I have the 77
a6s6Uac.jpg
I am only at 12 hours use so this may be something that gets better. There is actually two bands but have only noticed left one while watching things.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Replacement coming Friday, just hope it has no issues. I never have much luck when buying TVs, the last one I bought 5+ years ago I was sent two faulty units. Fingers crossed it's just the one this time. Really pleased with the TV other than this issue and the excellent remote is a nice added bonus.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
How's the replacement?

Suggest you avoid the IRE tests as once you see them... :( do some thorough testing on normal material in a black room. And run it non stop over the weekend, the milder banding does reduce over time.

Associate
OP
The new TV has arrived and first impressions are not good. I am hoping to see an significant improvement after first compensation otherwise it will definitely be going back. The top right and left hand corner is still almost black at 10% grey. At the moment I am wishing I had put up with the last panel (well not really it was just as bad just under different conditions). I don't understand how LG don't get this checked before they go out. There is a lot more bands and some are visible at 20% grey. I would hope this will look very different after running during weekend and a few compensation cycles
9J30spx.jpg
20%
vwAWjAM.jpg
5%

These are night sight (long exposure on phone) , they make 20 seem better than it is and 5 slightly worse. I could only see the bands on last TV during very dark scenes. The ones on this TV are visible in things like YouTube app. The strange thing is the picture of the first tv was a standard exposure. This new one looks fairly uniform with standard exposure other than dark upper left and right. Shows how over bright the bands on last TV must have been and how varried the panel are.

Normal exposure on new TV 5% grey (shows how bright bands in last one were)
SFBaoaw.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a shame the manufacturing tolerances are so pitiful that this even happens in such an expensive item.
I went through 10 OLED's before I gave up due to banding issues, went back to my old Plasma and will go down the projector route eventually.

Its best to not even look at 5% slides as then your eyes KNOW where the banding/uniformity issues are.
Just watch a few clips of common issue scenes.

Football - panning across the pitch is a very good one.
Marco polo season one episode two at around 11min, very good scene to see banding.
Pans labyrinth opening scene is very good.
Arrival - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMWFbd9zsK4 - very good scene to due to the pan shots.
This is a good one also, also tests for yellow/red tinting on the screen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWEE1fyFwI0

Any kind of panning shot will make you notice significant banding if its present on the display.

The picture is amazing, but once you see those bands in any kind of grey/low light content, you can't unsee it.
For something that costs this much money, its not acceptable in any way.

To be clear, ALL TV's have banding to some extent (some have so little of it, you cant really see it at all unless you look veeeeery close), its not just OLED.

Last edited:
Associate
Just remember that you really need to let a new set run at least 3 compensations before checking uniformity ,as they do change considerably

Soldato
Its a shame the manufacturing tolerances are so pitiful that this even happens in such an expensive item.
I went through 10 OLED's before I gave up due to banding issues, went back to my old Plasma and will go down the projector route eventually.

Its best to not even look at 5% slides as then your eyes KNOW where the banding/uniformity issues are.
Just watch a few clips of common issue scenes.

Football - panning across the pitch is a very good one.
Marco polo season one episode two at around 11min, very good scene to see banding.
Pans labyrinth opening scene is very good.
Arrival - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMWFbd9zsK4 - very good scene to due to the pan shots.
This is a good one also, also tests for yellow/red tinting on the screen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWEE1fyFwI0

Any kind of panning shot will make you notice significant banding if its present on the display.

The picture is amazing, but once you see those bands in any kind of grey/low light content, you can't unsee it.
For something that costs this much money, its not acceptable in any way.

To be clear, ALL TV's have banding to some extent (some have so little of it, you cant really see it at all unless you look veeeeery close), its not just OLED.

I suspect you are just way to focused on this for your own good. If after 10 TVs you are still not happy then maybe you should not even be checking it.

Just buy a tv and watch normal content rather than trying to check for issues

Soldato
I suspect you are just way to focused on this for your own good. If after 10 TVs you are still not happy then maybe you should not even be checking it.

Just buy a tv and watch normal content rather than trying to check for issues
Which is why I said don't look at 5% slides.
Banding shows up in PLENTY of "normal" content, I even gave a list in the post.

Associate
OP
I would never look at 5% untill I have already seen issues. I then do mainly to document for exchange. The banding and uniformity on this one was visible in intro to strangers things. Going to go a good amount of watching tomorrow and will see where we end up after more compensation cycles. (Long exposure as otherwise looks black, in person less bright). The top left and right not being lit is very noticeable. The black line down the middle of the TV is also hard to miss.
ftDMX9N.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom