Road Cycling

Soldato
Currently in a bit of a quandry about what to do with my bike situation.

My Ridley is pretty much done, the rear dropouts have worn away on either sides and this means the wheel doesn't sit straight. Think this happened a few years back when not seating a wheel properly and it's slowly got worse.

It's running mostly Ultegra 6800 kit with some Chinese Carbon Clinchers.

I was originally looking at cheap frames and sort of settled on the Holdsworth Super Professional frame from Planet X as it's not offensive and relatively cheap with some UK warranty... the chinese direct frames weren't any cheaper somehow when looking at those.

But then I've had a look and there is the Felt FR5 on wiggle for 999, which I could put my current wheels and possibly swap out the cranks and away I go, saving having to build it up, and then selling my old kit and wheels etc for a couple of hundred quid easily. This is obviously much easier and would keep me ticking over for a while, with potentially a posh road bike next year if I can afford it. But then it's 105 and Praxis cranks with a bit of a mix.

Give me guidance on how to keep me running for now

Last edited:

dod

dod

Soldato
You still involved with horses/ponies? My mum had a massive fell pony when I was young and a couple of others we rode, so was around horses quite a bit then. Not at all now though! Kinda do miss it/them though..
No, and no plans to be, other than photographing events.
Sorry to hear about the wee lad. :(

Soldato
Give me guidance on how to keep me running for now
That FR5 seems a great buy for the money... Only 'warning' which stands out to me is the differing brakes - direct mount TRP (behind the BB) and Shimano non-series Dual pivot at the front (may or may not be direct mount?). Wheels are probably pretty 'meh' but expect you've got better/everyday wheels anyway...?

No, and no plans to be, other than photographing events.
Sorry to hear about the wee lad. :(
Ahhh, probably much easier and cheaper that way haha! ;)

He's good now, had shaken off the temperature gradually through the day. He'd had an extra nap in the afternoon and went to bed normal time really well. He slept right through until usual(ish) wake up time of 5.20am (on only Calpol at 6.30pm) and was full of beans this morning. So he's gone to Nursery on a dose of Calpol! Time will tell but no phonecall from them to come get him, yet...! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd prefer a Felt frame over the planet x any day of the week.

I'd get an FR5 and good wheels to race on if I had the cash. Should have snapped up an FR3 when I could have got a stonking deal on it.

The only issue I've had with the FR was the chain line on an FR4 with praxis chainset. It realllly liked to rub on the mech about 3-4 or more cogs up the block in the inner ring.

Soldato
Decided to just plump for the whole bike in the end! Ordered the felt this morning!
Good choice!

The only issue I've had with the FR was the chain line on an FR4 with praxis chainset. It realllly liked to rub on the mech about 3-4 or more cogs up the block in the inner ring.
You wanna get a mechanic to look at that, or at least someone who works in a bike shop! *hides* :D

EDIT: To be honest I see similar with my Praxis. It is a PITA to get exactly right. When it's right it's less than 1/4 turn of the inner/outer limit screw and it'll be rubbing again. It's just too slight, so cable stretch will cause rubbing every week or two after getting it spot on with a new cable. Semi related - I've 'sourced' a 50/34 R8000 crankset (Wiggle ebay/returns bargain!) so the plan now is to change the Praxis BB for a Wheelsmfg to step it down and move to standard/better/easier bearings. Then something like a Stages/4iiii crank arm for power when I can snag one in a bargain. Winter/endurance/commuting bike, sorted! All in I should be less than £375 for changing cranks, BB and powermeter. Can't argue with that! :D

Did a bit of an effort to Nursery and back on friday as the other half was picking up mini and I thought I could meet/catch them. No dice, but still good fun to open the legs up! Failed to get any time saturday so opted for the 3R 100km sunday morning ride. A real test with my current lack of volume, but a good ride. Great group and banter as always soon passes the 2.5 hours. A couple of chases due to drops/closing gaps/keeping really emptied my legs. Slight knee pain at 60-70km so think I need to tweak saddle height a little. Finished the 100km bang on the 2.5w/kg average. Happy with that and how my legs held out. Damn sore today now though as barely stopped the rest of the day... Only 'rest' I managed was stood ironing for almost 2 hours catching up with serveral TDF highlights! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry for the delayed reply. I'd opened it and had a good read but forgot to quote your post here to respond to. I've not ridden it, but I had heard of the name mentioned. But I also hadn't realised the start point or route - basically all around mid wales where I grew up. Start point (Knighton) is 6-7 miles away from where my parents currently live. Thanks for putting it on my radar... Might be the 'missing' challenge I need this year! But what a challenge...

Getting there for you, there would be ample parking in Knighton. It's not a busy town but built right on top of a hill, with hills all around, rail could be a good option though? The railway there runs to Shrewsbury/Crewe. Should be several B&B's there if required as it's a bit of a hub for walking Offas Dyke. Might/should be pub/hotel kinda places too with rooms. Certainly used to be.

Route is brutal, no other way to describe it. Basically taking in many of the direct hilly back lanes that the main roads stick to the valleys to avoid. :o

The climb at the start towards Newtown (up Dolfor) is quite a long one, relentless in a small car, nevermind on a bike. One I had wanted to cross off at some point! The ride across the top to Bwlch y Sarnau, is an amazing road I've driven a few times and memorable enough that I've been meaning to get over there on my bike, but although amazing scenery/views it would be hard going in any wind/rain weather as very very exposed. Shame they didn't come through St Harmon though. Abbeycymhir things get much more enclosed and rolling. Have meant to ride there and experience some of the roads around where Mike Hall lived and loved (his wife and kids are still there). Elan Valley dams. Say no more. Should be on everyones bucket list! The road then over the top from Howey to Hundred House (I know well as worked in Hundred House for ~11 years) has several cattlegrids and ramps there. Dodgy descent with at least 2 blind hairpins, one with a rock wall at the side and I think the other straight onto a cattlegrid. Then over the top through Cregina will be such a sapping route. There's around 20 miles there from around the 68 mile marker which are total back-lanes, grippy rough surfaces on winding single lane with very little respite. Then drop down through Dolyhir onto some nice roads (passing where I grew up for 31 years), Knill and through Presteigne will be good to ride as generally flat/smooth rolling roads at that point as you'll need to recover for the climb through Norton onto the top of Rhos-y-Meirch. That will really empty any reserves but a nice long descent on good roads to finish.

Wow I hadn't meant to review the route haha! :D

Back from my holidays, so cheers Roady.

I'm still tempted to enter, need to get some miles into the legs first so will wait & see how I get on. Would be my biggest ride (ever) in terms of climbing so would expect to properly suffer.

Soldato
Back from my holidays, so cheers Roady.

I'm still tempted to enter, need to get some miles into the legs first so will wait & see how I get on. Would be my biggest ride (ever) in terms of climbing so would expect to properly suffer.
Let me know if you do, I may be tempted.

Although I know for sure I won't have the fitness, so something like the Legend 80 would still be quite a challenge and more than long enough for a big day out for me. It cuts out an unnecessary 5km and the dams loop from the 100.

The dams loop is worth doing as a ride in it's own right and something I've been meaning to do for a while!

Last edited:
Associate
Well, that escalated quickly
Was thinking of getting the Di2 upgrade kit but in the end splurged on a new bike. Found what I thought was a bargain. A 2018 defy advanced SL with 49% off.
Has dura ace di2 :eek:.
The downside is it comes with a seat post that has to be cut and can’t get in anywhere till Sunday morning so it’s sat here looking at me......:mad:.

I read about the hood buttons operating certain pages on gps’s and wondered if anyone has done it. Is it worth setting it up? I don’t have the little WiFi module fitted so that might be a problem.

Also are there any other little things I should set up that everyone thinks is a lot better with di2?
Cheers
JB

Soldato
Guy I'm following did IMUK near Manchester yesterday, check the bike leg - https://www.strava.com/activities/2533370883

10k feet of climbing over 111 miles, Ouch!

It’s a horrible course for an IM.

Not sure if it would be worth riding a TT bike if I am honest, rough roads and that much up/down you’d struggle to tuck for a long period.

Yesterday’s weather was excellent for it though, low wind. It can blow a gale and be terrible weather around there.

Soldato
Well, that escalated quickly
Was thinking of getting the Di2 upgrade kit but in the end splurged on a new bike. Found what I thought was a bargain. A 2018 defy advanced SL with 49% off.
Has dura ace di2 :eek:.
The downside is it comes with a seat post that has to be cut and can’t get in anywhere till Sunday morning so it’s sat here looking at me......:mad:.

I read about the hood buttons operating certain pages on gps’s and wondered if anyone has done it. Is it worth setting it up? I don’t have the little WiFi module fitted so that might be a problem.

Also are there any other little things I should set up that everyone thinks is a lot better with di2?
Cheers
JB

Think you need the D fly to get the garmin etc options! Stuff like sync shift is available to use though which may be worth it for you but you'd need to ride it to find which is best. Any minor indexing can be done by holding down the button on the junction box until the light glows red then using the right shifter to go up and down the mini adjustments.

I've had a mare tonight and broken my rear di2 derailleur when taking it all apart and putting it together, tightened a bolt up in the wrong order and have broken the plastic outer where the cage spring sits so now there is very little tension. Time to find a second hand one :( my own stupid fault.

Soldato
Think you need the D fly to get the garmin etc options! Stuff like sync shift is available to use though which may be worth it for you but you'd need to ride it to find which is best. Any minor indexing can be done by holding down the button on the junction box until the light glows red then using the right shifter to go up and down the mini adjustments.

I've had a mare tonight and broken my rear di2 derailleur when taking it all apart and putting it together, tightened a bolt up in the wrong order and have broken the plastic outer where the cage spring sits so now there is very little tension. Time to find a second hand one :( my own stupid fault.

What model is it 6870? I have an old one lying around somewhere in a tub.(I think)

Man of Honour
Sorry to hear, you want another tt bike? If so look on tt forums and get whatevers available which unfortunately I'd presume wouldn't be a lot.

Probably not, so am trying to work out the best approach... Am currently thinking basic frame with nice wheels and cockpit and go from there.

I am basically a weightlifter who used to be able to put out over 2000w for a few seconds who is trying to get better at FTP work and like the TT position and not being on the bike for more than an hour. :D

So something aero(ish) that is suitably stiff...

Back
Top Bottom