Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
I did fear the worst when I heard Disney had the rights, but they've made a bigger mess of it than I could possibly have imagined. I have only watched each one once and the only one I'd even consider watching again is rogue one.

Whilst I think Solo is also fairly entertaining and not destructive of the canon (other than doubling down on space fuel). I agree Disney has presided over a right duck up. You can't believe they treated a $4billion intellectual property with so cavalier an attitude. You would have thought that the plot and series arc would be thoroughly reviewed and planned out to ensure a coherent direction was followed. They seem to have spent all there time planning the movie schedule the toy releases and a hundred other BS PR elements and just taken a punt on the core IP. I appreciate it is a licence to print money but it should have been cherished much more than this, it beggars belief.

Soldato
I love Star Wars, always have, consider myself a big fan. But they're just movies; I can acknowledge that there are flaws in the new ones but I never went into them with some sort of vision of exactly what I wanted them to be, maybe that's why I don't understand why people are so disappointed, angry even, over them? It seems like it was pretty much inevitable that any new material was going to upset some people, no matter who it was done by - exactly the same as if Valve (or another company) dropped a Half Life 3 at this point. The story has to be perfect... not too samey (ugh, fan service) but not too different either (that's not even Star Wars), I want twists and drama in the story (otherwise it's boring, playing it safe) but I don't want anything to happen that I didn't expect (that's not how my favourite character would act!!!), I want to see new technology and ideas in the Star Wars universe (because it's cool!) but it better work exactly like I think it should or I'll tear it apart...

Add in a nice sprinkle of social media fuelled outrage culture and boom, the perfect storm of people going "Muh Sturr Wurrs is ruined I will never go to see it ever again"... Sure, see you front row on opening night with everyone else :p

Soldato
I agree the outrage has been excessive but TFA and TLJ have set a real downward arc for quality of the plot. TFA is just a well polished homage and TLJ is a lavishly made car crash. When the spin offs and cartoons are the high point for storytelling (which is what movies are supposed to be about) you must acknowledge Fido has had a night to remember. I guess also the bar has been set unreasonably high the MCU has been a triumph and modern TV shows with near movie quality production and ambitious plots have set an expectation for movies like Star Wars a lot higher. To repeat myself I'm just amazed they weren't more careful in their storytelling approach.

Man of Honour
Agree with this, I kind of think of movies like this as being a set of events I'm just spectating. It's happened and you're just finding out what happened. Sure it would have been cool if X or Y had happened instead, or made more sense or whatever, but it is what is is (much like life, things don't always work out how you expected)...
This is how I view it too.

As for no Star Wars toys in the Disney Store, I imagine that has something to do with wanting to keep the franchise away from, for example, Disney Princesses, so as to remain appealing to older children.

Soldato
This is how I view it too.

As for no Star Wars toys in the Disney Store, I imagine that has something to do with wanting to keep the franchise away from, for example, Disney Princesses, so as to remain appealing to older children.
Or just that the mewpvow toy range will be launching fairly soon so they have cleared all old stock.

Soldato
I can acknowledge that there are flaws in the new ones but I never went into them with some sort of vision of exactly what I wanted them to be, maybe that's why I don't understand why people are so disappointed, angry even, over them?

I could understand some minor anger if they were really good quality films but the just struck the wrong tone with fans but, while I liked TFA even with it's flaws, I just can't see TLJ as anything other than a REALLY low quality film even away from the Star Wars aspect (regarding script, screenplay, direction etc), and for me at least that lack of quality shows a huge amount of disrespect to the franchise - not from the cast and crew who absolutely did their best with the job they were given - but from the leadership and Lucasfilm as they alone made the decisions which have so critically damaged the franchise for so many.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong... there are some bizarre decisions particularly in TLJ, and I can understand why some people really don't like it... but for me personally none of it really "damages the franchise", in the same way that the badly done stuff in the prequels doesn't... I'm just along for the ride - I hope each movie turns out good and has a decent number of moments that I can enjoy... It it's disappointing oh well, that's just the way of things

As for the MCU... both the wife and I had almost zero exposure to it until very recently - we'd seen the first Avengers and maybe one of the Iron Man movies... Got sick of people saying "You haven't seen Infinity War?! WTF?!" and then "You haven't seen MCU movie X, Y or Z, what?!"... so we finally decided to sit down over several weeks and watch them... all of them... in chronological order... Some of them were pretty good, but many of them had equally questionable decisions in them, or things that were done really poorly, odd un-needed reverse-racism (looking at you Black Panther), logic that makes absolutely no sense at all... Maybe I'm alone in this but as I await seeing Endgame I just do not care about any of the Marvel characters. At all. Fun movies but they generate such little investment for me. Is it because we watched them over a short period of time or something else?

The Star Wars characters though, despite the weird decisions, I do care about what happens in the story; I want to know what's going to happen with Kylo, with Rey etc. and how they are going to wrap things up. I couldn't give a monkeys whether
some handful of bland generic action superhero characters might have been snapped out of existence...

Soldato
For someone my age Game of Thrones is like a microcosm of what they did to Star Wars just spanned over 2 years instead of 40.

It is absolutely incredible that the character development and world building that we were left with by the end of Return of the Jedi could be basically just ignored. Are there any fans of the book sequels that came out in the 80s / 90s? I think some of those are fantastic and would have been a great place to pull ideas from when starting this new Trilogy.

I would love to see someone do some CGI sequels in the future set in the years after Return of the Jedi and just completely ignore this Disney monstrosity.

Last edited:
Soldato
Permabanned
Add in a nice sprinkle of social media fuelled outrage culture and boom, the perfect storm of people going "Muh Sturr Wurrs is ruined I will never go to see it ever again"... Sure, see you front row on opening night with everyone else :p

Not true i have boycotted them all and will never ever have anything to do with them again, It is basically a dead franchise to me but i post the odd time just to get it out of my system that they ruined all my franchises by listening to social media whiners.

That is money i keep to myself no movies seen or rented and they have basically one good game coming out i might pay a fiver for in a sale. But i know i am a drop in the ocean with one born every minute they can probably sustain they moneyprinter without fans like me. Have it i say it is a good laugh if nothing else to see standards drop so much!

Back
Top Bottom