Rubbish Workmen in your area

Soldato
I've lived in my city for over 20 years and have NEVER, not once had a tradesman I was happy with. Everyone has been crap from plumbers, joiners, tilers, builders....... I always wonder if I could do a better job myself after they've left.

This weekend was another example. Had a plumber and tiler in to redo the en-suite. The plumber cut out a massive square in the floor where he shouldn't have....and the tiler completely messed up the floor, tray, walls and ceiling leaving grout where it shouldn't, and not where it should. Adhesive showing through, gaps in the tiles, scratches......you name it.

Had to spend all day yesterday sanding, painting and scrubbing. Hopefully I can find someone to come and finish the job off.

They seem angry when I tell them I won't pay! :rolleyes:

2re1jy1.jpg

Soldato
I don't have the longest experience as I've always rented, but I see a similar pattern. My current landlord has repeatedly hired a builder who has a whole fleet of irresponsible, careless, downright thick tradesmen. I've had showers fitted upside down, brand new (£1200+) bay windows scratched on cleanup, tile adhesive spread over the top of tiles...

It's been a major stress. Currently we've had an entire kitchen renovation from bare walls done, and there's no way I'm letting them back in to fix up the various issues. I've ended up learning to tile, checking the wiring, refitting sockets and switches, replacing a door lock they kicked in (!).

I think there are very good, considerate builders out there, who can charge an arm and a leg, and are always booked up by well off people with flashier homes. But maybe I'm wrong.

Soldato
OP
I don't have the longest experience as I've always rented, but I see a similar pattern. My current landlord has repeatedly hired a builder who has a whole fleet of irresponsible, careless, downright thick tradesmen. I've had showers fitted upside down, brand new (£1200+) bay windows scratched on cleanup, tile adhesive spread over the top of tiles...

It's been a major stress. Currently we've had an entire kitchen renovation from bare walls done, and there's no way I'm letting them back in to fix up the various issues. I've ended up learning to tile, checking the wiring, refitting sockets and switches, replacing a door lock they kicked in (!).

I think there are very good, considerate builders out there, who can charge an arm and a leg, and are always booked up by well off people with flashier homes. But maybe I'm wrong.

I think you could be right. When I got quotes in it ranged from £400 to £1,800. I picked the middle quote, but think I should have gone with the £1,800. Does seem a lot for 2 days worth of labour only! £900 a day

Soldato
It is worrying how many terribly incompetent people there are out there working as 'tradesmen' i don't know if there's just such a shortage of them that even the worst of them still get work and the best like you allude too can pick and choose the best jobs and price accordingly.

Caporegime

i know people in the trade and i know someone who only does work in an affluent area. he told me that he has builders from other areas always asking him if he needs help however their work is not up to the standard his clients demand so he refuses to use them. however these guys get decent work in their areas but simply not up to the spec he requires.

always go with a builder who comes recommended by close friends / family.

Soldato
Yeh, I've had some useless Muppets too. And that's when they can be bothered to turn up. It's the main reason I do most jobs myself. That said, the guys who fitted my new boiler in march did a fantastic job at a reasonable price.

Soldato
Become a good, reliable electrician who always turns up and does a great job.You'll be coining it in.
^this. Had an electrician from my neighborhood Facebook group (quite a well-to-do community) do a CU for me recently. £250 for 2.5 hours' work but he did it neater than I could have, and I work with cables. I'd pay again for that level of quality and service, he was very thorough and helped me test the rest of the house supply.

Caporegime
Become a good, reliable electrician who always turns up and does a great job.You'll be coining it in.

This, many times this.

Turn up when agreed, work to a high standard for a fair price and you’ll always have a full calendar.

DO NOT charge a fair price.

Charge the correct price for what your standard of work demands.

If people want high standards they will and should pay high rates. If they only want to pay poor rates then refuse the work, never lower your standards, they will get the due standard of work from the tradesman they decide on due to low charges.

I always reckon £100 an hour rate is fair price for any work from a skilled tradesman.

And judging from other replies here, namely @LuckyBenski, and even the OP's quote of £1800 for his job, it looks like £100 and hour is the right rate for quality work.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
£100/hour!?! :p Wow.

I have had mountains of work done over the years and that is way way beyond what i have ever seen anyone even try to charge.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
And judging from other replies here, namely @LuckyBenski, and even the OP's quote of £1800 for his job, it looks like £100 and hour is the right rate for quality work.

The way i read it, LuckyBenski paid £250 (presumably inc VAT) for a 2.5 hour job which likely included approx £100 in materials, and was a short duration job with travel time etc not factored into that 2.5 hours. In reality he paid probably £120+VAT for the labour, for a job which took the guy half a day in total by the time he'd traveled, arrived, packed up, and made it anywhere else.

Soldato
The way i read it, LuckyBenski paid £250 (presumably inc VAT) for a 2.5 hour job which likely included approx £100 in materials, and was a short duration job with travel time etc not factored into that 2.5 hours. In reality he paid probably £120+VAT for the labour, for a job which took the guy half a day in total by the time he'd traveled, arrived, packed up, and made it anywhere else.
Not exactly - I bought the CU so it would have just been a few cable tails, fixings etc for materials. Remember this is a neighbour starting out solo, so not a lot of travel time and probably off the books/no VAT. I didn't ask but it's perfectly likely.

That said, his price was based off of this: Going rate in London is £400 including materials and VAT. So after £69 for the CU and VAT, it wouldn't be far off.

Soldato
Well the new shower tray is completely scratched :(

Are you putting bad reviews up based on your experience? Part of what makes it hard finding a decent tradesman is trying to find reliable testimonials. If no-one puts up bad reviews, then no-one gets to read about the shoddy work that some people do.

For £100 an hour I'm going to get a trade pronto.

Yeah £100 an hour seems insane, if these people are filling 40 hour weeks with work they'll be making a good £200k a year. I'd guess that £100 an hour doesn't include materials, so would mean the tradesman only needs to pay for his own tools and gear, plus public liability insurance. But that's no way going to bring that under 50% of that hourly rate.

Caporegime
£100/hour!?! :p Wow.

I have had mountains of work done over the years and that is way way beyond what i have ever seen anyone even try to charge.

i think BMW dealer the mechanic hourly rate is around £75/hour and that is for someone who is clueless and needs to read from the official manual before tackling any job.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
i think BMW dealer the mechanic hourly rate is around £75/hour and that is for someone who is clueless and needs to read from the official manual before tackling any job.
BMW charge more than that in Oxfordshire, a lot more, but that is a professional services rate, the technician is paid nothing like that.

Do you really agree that £100 is the going rate for a tradesman? I have never ever seen a rate as high as that in all of my years of getting an awful lot of work done on many houses.

Caporegime
BMW charge more than that in Oxfordshire, a lot more, but that is a professional services rate, the technician is paid nothing like that.

Do you really agree that £100 is the going rate for a tradesman? I have never ever seen a rate as high as that in all of my years of getting an awful lot of work done on many houses.

it depends entirely on the tradesmen tbh and the quality of work. i know the architect we have used in the past has a ridiculous hourly rate which is multiples of that.

i have also paid someone £40 once for 4 hours plumbing work (mates rates) and a carpet fitter £100 to fit carpets in 2 bedrooms, hallway and stairs. so it's not normal for basic stuff.

i would say it depends a lot on what type of work and the quality. i would say for £100 an hour i'd want the very best person in the city doing it. it's not normal but neither is London if that is where he is quoting those prices.

it is expensive but it depends entirety on the trade and the quality of work. i know joiners for example rates will differ wildly but so too will quality of work and finish. i know a joiner who could easily command £100 an hour as an example. but he is very very good and his quality of work is outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom