Five-Year-Old Child Hides On Medical Centre Roof To Avoid Being Circumcised

Caporegime
Why is this still seen as acceptable and legal in Western countries despite widespread acknowledgement that the female equivalent is bad and should be prosecuted?

The below document incident (from high quality publication Lad bible) comes from a country where FGM is also widely practiced. FGM is widely condemned yet is often far milder in many cases than male circumcision, it is mostly the ****ed up cases in Africa (where male circumcision is also pretty brutal) that people use as an example, in reality, in places like Indonesia it is far more minor procedure.

Though from an ethical POV both are messed up, this is surely an issue of consent something the people trying to encourage the practice want to avoid because realistically, if it came down to choice, very few adult males would actively choose to get circumcised.

http://www.ladbible.com/news/weird-...s-on-roof-to-avoid-being-circumcised-20190713

5tRclm9.jpg

Man of Honour
Poor kid. Society is so against female genital mutilation but some societies are still happy to mutilate male genitals :(

Caporegime
OP
I don't know, why don't you tell us your non-RSS opinion?

See the OP:

Though from an ethical POV both are messed up, this is surely an issue of consent something the people trying to encourage the practice want to avoid because realistically, if it came down to choice, very few adult males would actively choose to get circumcised.

Do you want to add anything to the thread?

Caporegime
OP
Well as I said it is an issue of consent, as far as the UK is concerned I'd propose a ban until aged 18*.

I'd suggest that campaigns against FGM worldwide perhaps ought to campaign against both.

You've posted twice now - what is your opinion?

(*exemptions for medical grounds)

Caporegime
OP
Erm did you just say that FGM was in many cases not as bad as male circumcision?

Both are bad imo unless there is an actual medical reason but FGM is almost always far worse

Well I agree that both are bad, but I'd dispute that FGM is almost always far worse, especially outside of Africa.

This case originates in Indonesia, 60 million women there have undergone FGM and FGM there is very different to the sort campaigners focus on - a symbolic cut or a very tiny slice removed. Male circumcision however is generally the complete removal of the foreskin.

Both are dodgy ethically, but FGM campaigning is often focused on the sort of brutal procedures carried out in some tribal area in Africa which then allows campaigners to pretend that the issue of FGM is totally different to male circumcision or for people to declare outrage when some circumcision campaigners refer to male circumcision as MGM.

https://theconversation.com/female-...part-of-child-delivery-by-birth-clinics-54379

It is difficult to compare practices of female genital mutilation or cutting in Africa with those in Indonesia and it should be done with caution.

The 2001-2002 Population Council study shows that much of traditional circumcision in Indonesia is limited to scraping, rubbing and piercing with a needle to produce a drop of blood.

In contrast, in Africa the practice frequently involves partial or total removal of the clitoris (or the prepuce) and stitching to narrow the vaginal opening (infibulation).

Some medical professionals are actually advocating that milder forms of FGM should be tolerated:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-be-tolerated-in-some-instances-a6891481.html

Not something I'd agree with as I think this is a consent issue.

Associate
I am against all circumcision for religious or cultural reasons but there are some legitimate medical reasons for male circumcisions. Blanket labeling it as barbaric is not only ignorant but could lead to dangerous situations where a patient refuses to undergo a procedure that is vital for their health.

Soldato
Well I agree that both are bad, but I'd dispute that FGM is almost always far worse, especially outside of Africa.

This case originates in Indonesia, 60 million women there have undergone FGM and FGM there is very different to the sort campaigners focus on - a symbolic cut or a very tiny slice removed. Male circumcision however is generally the complete removal of the foreskin.

Both are dodgy ethically, but FGM campaigning is often focused on the sort of brutal procedures carried out in some tribal area in Africa which then allows campaigners to pretend that the issue of FGM is totally different to male circumcision or for people to declare outrage when some circumcision campaigners refer to male circumcision as MGM.

https://theconversation.com/female-...part-of-child-delivery-by-birth-clinics-54379

Some medical professionals are actually advocating that milder forms of FGM should be tolerated:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-be-tolerated-in-some-instances-a6891481.html

Not something I'd agree with as I think this is a consent issue.
He won't reply now. He never does.

Soldato
It should be banned like FGM is, but it won't be anytime soon because of the pandering to the religious.

Does anyone know how its performed in the orthodox jewish community? Its too disgusting to write down.

Soldato
Circumcision (male) without a legitimate medical reason (such as phimosis etc) should be illegal, it's a disgraceful and totally unnecessary thing to perform on a child when it's done simply for religious reasons or tradition, I class it as a form of child abuse. Furthermore, any parents who take their child out of the country elsewhere to have it performed, should be prosecuted when they return to the UK.

And if it upsets religious people - tough, hacking off bits of children's genitals to satisfy some non-existant sky pixie, is something I personally don't think should be something a civiilised society should tolerate.

If people say, "It's my tradition, we've done it for thousands of years, it's unclean" it's no excuse, it's no justification - I don't care who it offends, I want it stopped immediately.

Back
Top Bottom